Turn Signal Trouble

Bike
2005 ST1300 P
Hey All,

My turn signals stopped working some time ago, so I've decided to investigate.

I first checked the bulbs, which look fine. They're receiving power because when the parking lights are activated, the bulbs turn on. I removed the relay and tried a similar one from the fuse panel, but nothing changed. Though when reinstalling the relay, it does click. I did not check it further. I replaced the fuse. The wiring harness seems to have good integrity, and I don't see any obvious grounding issues. This was a police bike, but I don't see any disruption to the turn signals wiring like other features.

Now, when the parking lights are on and I activate a turn signal, the parking light turns off until the signal is canceled, then it comes back on. This happens with both turn signals. And when I try the flashers, nothing happens.

Thoughts? Questions?

They're receiving power because when the parking lights are activated, the bulbs turn on.
Doesn't mean that the turn signal filament of the bulb is receiving power. The park light and turn signal are two different circuits and power sources.
Now, when the parking lights are on and I activate a turn signal, the parking light turns off until the signal is canceled, then it comes back on.
This could still be no power to the turn signal circuit, or burned out turn signal bulbs. Test the bulbs to be sure and test for power at the turn signal socket. A common failure point is the turn signal switch needs to be cleaned and relubricated.

You might check the ground of the bulb. If both filaments share the same ground then the park light could be grounding through the turn signal filament and when both lights are on the 2 12 volt signals will not light either bulb. Try a jumper wire from the bulb socket ground wire to a known good ground and see if the problem is fixed.

How many flasher relays does the 1300 have? I thought just one. If the hazard/4-way lights work properly I'd think the relay good.

I'd recommend to check the turn signal switch. The circuits for turn signals and running lights (is that what you mean with parking lights?) are mechanically linked inside the left handlebar switch unit, contacts close together. The switch is normally covered in electrical grease, it could have collected all kinds of dirt over time and creating some kind of short, or if there is no more grease or the grease turned solid, it could cause contacts to stick in / out of position...

Top Bottom