Two ways to skin the same cat...

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I have two similar / dissimilar bikes under resto-mod at this time: A 1993 BMW K1100RS and a 1998 Honda ST1100. The BMW and Honda attack the same job from different angles. The BMW is a water-cooled, fuel-injected flat sideways inline four with a single-row timing chain, a catalytic converter and a dry (automotive design) clutch. The suspension is sophisticated with 42mm cartridge style Marzocchi forks and a single sided swingarm. It used to have ABS, but I snatched it off

Honda chose a water-cooled V-4 design with a rubber timing belt, no converter, a bank of four carburetors, a wet clutch, and shaft drive. ABS was optional on the bike. The suspension is more conventional with a 41mm damper rod anti-dive front forks and a conventional steel 2-sided swingarm.

They both ended up with 1100cc’s of overweight motor putting out 100 hp with adequate torque under 2000 rpm (unusual for motorcycles). Both have historically shown that they are capable of 200,000+ miles without cracking the engine case. This was BMW's most robust motor before or since. Honda achieves essentially the same outcome with much less up-to-date technology at about 1/2 the list price of the BMW. What’s funny, is that the Honda is five years NEWER than the BMW.

The fuel injection of the BMW looks downright simple...

Compared to the bank of carburetors on the Honda…

If you want a master’s degree in carburetor rebuilding, this is probably your final exam. Wow. I have never seen so many linkages, springs, shafts, balancing screws, and vacuum hoses in my life. All that is left now is to re-jet the pilots when the replacement parts arrive. I am re-jetting it to Canadian standards as seems to be the consensus thing to do with these.

I have a third rebuild going now of a Volvo 240.

It is interesting the need to change gears mentally between Swedish, German, and Japanese engineering practices.

I just finished reviving an airhead BMW from a 14 year nap for a friend of mine, so throw "old school" BMW on top of these. The airhead BMW's always remind me of the tag line from Hooter's Restaurants - "Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined".

The K bike seems like it was designed by the BMW car people while the old school guys took an extended beer break. They came back good and drunk and designed the R1100 oilhead. Comparing the ST1100 to "old school" Honda builds is equally enlightening. I finished a 1971 Honda SL350 for my brother a few months ago. The increased level of technical sophistication and the obvious designing for longer service life in the new bike is world's above the old twin. With weak top-end oiling, the 350 twins were about done-for between 10-20K miles. But, very few people rode them that much. The smaller cylinder to the right of the clutch is the oil slinger. Where the oil pump in the BMW can spray oil across a good-sized shop, most folks can pee harder than this old Honda pumps oil. Filter? we don't need no stinking filter!

Of course BMW did not add oil filters to the twins either until the 1970 launch of the /5 series. Before that, they had slingers as well - but unlike this easy service on the Honda SL, the BMW required removal of the engine and then the crankshaft - very specialized work for an expert.

This is an interesting hobby we have. A lot of people from a lot of countries have put a lot of thought into how to push our lazy butts down the road in progressively higher style..

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lee,

You have about 24 hours before leaving for the Cheese’s RTE tomorrow. In other words, plenty of time. Which project 1100 are you riding tomorrow? :)

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
You've got your hands full! How are you keeping the parts separated?
I have a computerized database system. The parts are stored in lidded plastic stackable boxes, drawer racks, an old hospital crash cart, pallet racks both in and outside the shop, and full length shelving inside an old ConEx trailer beside the shop. With a partial description or three digits from the part number it will lead me right to it.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Lee,

You have about 24 hours before leaving for the Cheese’s RTE tomorrow. In other words, plenty of time. Which project 1100 are you riding tomorrow? :)
Ha! Neither will make the date. The Volvo has been pushed to the front of the queue because my daughter needs a car Right Now. The 138K mile "Mike Bike" that I bought for an exceptionally good price from @mcthorogood has been my capable rider while the "pretty bikes" are under the knife. Mike had it well-sorted and it has been doing a fine job. I also have a Yamaha TMax that is capable of the trip, but I prolly won't bring it.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the post Lee, very interesting to see what you're working on. Keep 'em coming!

I bet you would be very fine host for an ST tech event! ;)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don’t know exactly the time but Ashley and I will be passing near your place tomorrow morning headed to Blairsville. Maybe we could meet up on the way.

The Cheese

Oh wow. I thought you were going to wait till the BMW was off the lift before starting the rebuild. I don't blame you, I'm impatient as well.

I know you can handle the work, but I'm happy to come by and help.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I don’t know exactly the time but Ashley and I will be passing near your place tomorrow morning headed to Blairsville. Maybe we could meet up on the way.
That would be fun. Take the paved road just before Zeb's BBQ and it ends at my driveway.

Oh wow. I thought you were going to wait till the BMW was off the lift before starting the rebuild. I don't blame you, I'm impatient as well.

I know you can handle the work, but I'm happy to come by and help.
It was just sitting there looking up at me and I couldn't resist diving in. Glad for the help any time. Your diagnostics got my new clutch set-up finely tuned now.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Wish I had half....a tenth of your ability to tear into bikes!!!
While you have that yeller bike in there....could you sneak in a respectable color paint job on it???
:biggrin:

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the post Lee, very interesting to see what you're working on. Keep 'em coming!

I bet you would be very fine host for an ST tech event! ;)
I could host the event for sure. Shop space and tools are adequate. My knowledge of the ST is pretty slim - but increasing every day.

While you have that yeller bike in there....could you sneak in a respectable color paint job on it???
:biggrin:
Yeah, that School Bus Yellow redefines ugly. I call the bike Bud's Short Bus. It is a decent bike now (other than that). I told him to get some miles on it and decide if he was going to keep it. If so, it will be back for an engine re-seal and a transmission overhaul. BMW's of this era had a missing (from the factory) circlip in the transmission countershaft that caused fast gear wear. This bike is showing signs of that.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Turn east on Jones Chapel?
Yup. East on East Jones Chapel off of US 29. Ignore your misinformed GPS which will try to take you down GA 191 to Phillips Rd. Bridge out. Interesting that the bridge was out 35 years ago before GPS toys were even invented and they still want to route you over the missing bridge. The center of the missing bridge is now one of my property corners because after 20 years abandonment the right-of-way goes back to the prior landowner. They'd have to re-condemn it to rebuild the bridge.

Bike
VStrom 650
I have two similar / dissimilar bikes under resto-mod at this time: A 1993 BMW K1100RS and a 1998 Honda ST1100. The BMW and Honda attack the same job from different angles. The BMW is a water-cooled, fuel-injected flat sideways inline four with a single-row timing chain, a catalytic converter and a dry (automotive design) clutch. The suspension is sophisticated with 42mm cartridge style Marzocchi forks and a single sided swingarm. It used to have ABS, but I snatched it off

Honda chose a water-cooled V-4 design with a rubber timing belt, no converter, a bank of four carburetors, a wet clutch, and shaft drive. ABS was optional on the bike. The suspension is more conventional with a 41mm damper rod anti-dive front forks and a conventional steel 2-sided swingarm.

They both ended up with 1100cc’s of overweight motor putting out 100 hp with adequate torque under 2000 rpm (unusual for motorcycles). Both have historically shown that they are capable of 200,000+ miles without cracking the engine case. This was BMW's most robust motor before or since. Honda achieves essentially the same outcome with much less up-to-date technology at about 1/2 the list price of the BMW. What’s funny, is that the Honda is six years NEWER than the BMW.

If you want a master’s degree in carburetor rebuilding, this is probably your final exam. Wow. I have never seen so many linkages, springs, shafts, balancing screws, and vacuum hoses in my life. All that is left now is to re-jet the pilots when the replacement parts arrive. I am re-jetting it to Canadian standards as seems to be the consensus thing to do with these.

It is interesting the need to change gears mentally between Swedish, German, and Japanese engineering practices.

I just finished reviving an airhead BMW from a 14 year nap for a friend of mine, so throw "old school" BMW on top of these. The airhead BMW's always remind me of the tag line from Hooter's Restaurants - "Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined".

The K bike seems like it was designed by the BMW car people while the old school guys took an extended beer break. They came back good and drunk and designed the R1100 oilhead. Comparing the ST1100 to "old school" Honda builds is equally enlightening. I finished a 1971 Honda SL350 for my brother a few months ago. The increased level of technical sophistication and the obvious designing for longer service life in the new bike is world's above the old twin. With weak top-end oiling, the 350 twins were about done-for between 10-20K miles. But, very few people rode them that much. The smaller cylinder to the right of the clutch is the oil slinger. Where the oil pump in the BMW can spray oil across a good-sized shop, most folks can pee harder than this old Honda pumps oil. Filter? we don't need no stinking filter!

Of course BMW did not add oil filters to the twins either until the 1970 launch of the /5 series. Before that, they had slingers as well - but unlike this easy service on the Honda SL, the BMW required removal of the engine and then the crankshaft - very specialized work for an expert.

This is an interesting hobby we have. A lot of people from a lot of countries have put a lot of thought into how to push our lazy butts down the road in progressively higher style..
Lee, got me wonderin, what do you do with your spare time?
Upt'North.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have a computerized database system. The parts are stored in lidded plastic stackable boxes, drawer racks, an old hospital crash cart, pallet racks both in and outside the shop, and full length shelving inside an old ConEx trailer beside the shop. With a partial description or three digits from the part number it will lead me right to it.
Well done.

So you should be able to find another one or two to disassemble, concurrent. :D

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Lee, got me wonderin, what do you do with your spare time?
Upt'North.
I"m retired. Everything I own is paid for. I've got a bit of life and a bit of money left and this is how I choose to blow the both of them until one or the other runs out.

So you should be able to find another one or two to disassemble, concurrent. :D
Well, I'm about at my concurrent limit, but if you want to bring that 2016 RT over here I've been dying to see what the inside of one of those looks like. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650

They both ended up with 1100cc’s of overweight motor putting out 100 hp with adequate torque under 2000 rpm (unusual for motorcycles). Both have historically shown that they are capable of 200,000+ miles without cracking the engine case. This was BMW's most robust motor before or since. Honda achieves essentially the same outcome with much less up-to-date technology at about 1/2 the list price of the BMW. What’s funny, is that the Honda is six years NEWER than the BMW.

I hadn't ever thought about the FI on Beemers before, but it must have been around since the earliest K's, the 100's and 75's. Does it prove troublesome or not. I certainly haven't heard of it being a giant PITA.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I hadn't ever thought about the FI on Beemers before, but it must have been around since the earliest K's, the 100's and 75's. Does it prove troublesome or not. I certainly haven't heard of it being a giant PITA.
Upt'North.
There were no carbureted K's from the factory. I've seen a couple of home-built examples (as well as an R1150 with Bings). The Bosch electronic FI systems are generally trouble-free and fiddle-free systems. I use a system called AF-XIED to increase the AFR a bit though. That's not a fault of the FI system. It is the same advantage one gets from Canuckian spec jetting on the ST11.

Top Bottom