Gloves Undergloves... (cotton/elastan or silk)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My lined GoreTex-gloves keeping my paws perfectly dry, but I sometimes have the issue of getting wet hands while loading the bike in the morning, handling the zippers of my wet jacket during a break, during refueling, etc... and then I'm getting stuck on the glove liner, making it hard to get my hands in, or worse: I'm pulling the lining out while trying to get the gloves off my hands again...

Took me like 3 decades to finally come to the solution of trying those thin fabric undergloves, and totally love them... :cool:
No stuck hands, no risk of ruining the (expensive) lined gloves.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What and where?
Cheap sollution:

A bit better quality:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I carry a pair of plain old household rubber gloves - the ones you buy for $2 at a grocery store - in my saddlebag and in the front footwell of my car. I use these to handle gas pumps, etc. during the ongoing COVID pandemic.

Michael

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I carry a pair of plain old household rubber gloves...
Again: I don't need to waterproof the outside of my riding gloves, I just needed to reduce the friction between skin and liner in cases of having damp fingers and hands ;)
And just like the spandex style functional underwear, those thin, textile undergloves provide the required comfort in this, and support the GoreTex breathability.
I've rather big paws (XXL/12) hence always have some difficulties to stuff my knuckles through the wrist-cut of motorcycle gloves, and also there those textiles reduce the efforts to a minimum...
I was amazed: dripping wet hands from loading the bags into the panniers, I put those textiles on, wrapped the jacket gaitors over thumb and wrists, grabbed the (expensive) GoreTex gloves and slipped my hands into them with literally no effort, just brilliant! :cool:
And during a stop about 1.5 hours later I pulled the gloves off just as easily (normally your damp fingertips would be stuck like glued to the glove lining) and I'd found that my hands and fingers had already completely dried; the gaitors on the wrists where still a little damp from the morning action, but fingers and palms where bone dry by then... I'm sold :thumb:

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
On cold rides, I wear a pair of these on the link (or pretty similar, couldn't find the ones I bought), adds a bit of comfort. First pair were a lighter fabic, wore them out. Second pair, heavier fabric, touch screen tips, very handy.

Bike
VStrom 650
If you're on the road and faced with the same dilemma then the forecourt fueling gloves go back in nice and easy.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Anything but cotton.
Depending what you buy/go for/the dealer carries:
- 93 % Cotton, 7 % Elastan
- 96 % Polyester, 4 % Polyamid
- 100 % Silk (glove), 100 % Polyester (cuff)

Dunno about merino, or any wool... itching and that...

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I carry a pair of plain old household rubber gloves - the ones you buy for $2 at a grocery store - in my saddlebag and in the front footwell of my car. I use these to handle gas pumps, etc. during the ongoing COVID pandemic.

Michael
And, if you buy a large size, they are great to pull over your regular gloves if you get caught in the rain.
I use the ones from Harbor Freight.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Can anyone recommend a good heated under glove, or a heated glove itself, but not one powered by the bike battery. I intend to use them for winter when using the snowblower, which does not have a battery. Cheers.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hey bush my snowblower has heated grips and no battery.
Your machine probably isn't 20+ years old. That's not something I can retro fit.

I've considered the possibility of mounting my Yuasa bike battery onto the snowblower for the power source, but I fear the vibration will kill it for good in short order. Hence the need for dry cell battery powered gloves, which are out there, but many get poor reviews, so I'm looking for feedback from those that may have come across a good brand.

I think I'll start a new thread for this.

EDIT: New thread thought abandoned, since I found a link in another thread to this company. Canadian too, eh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom