Unstable bike

The direction is correct. I made sure of that. I've just ordered new bearings and will check on proper tire shutting on rim, balance and since wheel will be down, the proper spacers alignment will be done.

The direction is correct. I made sure of that. I've just ordered new bearings and will check on proper tire shutting on rim, balance and since wheel will be down, the proper spacers alignment will be done.

I have the bearing & seal driver for the rear wheel. Front & rear if need pm me I'll send in the mail. Hold on to the swingarm tool & send all back at once?
Just replaced Tmoney rear bearing & seal past month.
Better yet Your only 80 miles away from Easton. bring tire/wheel/parts. We will fix/repair as needed. Have 2 types of wheel balance. plus weights.

Last edited:

I have the bearing & seal driver for the rear wheel. Front & rear if need pm me I'll send in the mail. Hold on to the swingarm tool & send all back at once?
Better yet Your only 80 miles away from Easton. bring tire/wheel/parts. We will fix/repair as needed. Have 2 types of wheel balance. plus weights.

Bravo Bob!

Mark, I would suggest you take Bob up on this offer... it's always nice to get someone that knows STs to look at your bike. Some shops never see an ST and the experience is a definite plus.

Bravo Bob!

Mark, I would suggest you take Bob up on this offer... it's always nice to get someone that knows STs to look at your bike. Some shops never see an ST and the experience is a definite plus.
Also Bob likely has better beverages...

Thank you Bob. I'd like that, only the thing is that during the week I have no chance to get there but let's see how next weekend will shape up. I will definitely let you know.

Here's a weird one that happened to me once many years ago, the guy who mounted the tire couldn't get it to balance. Finally he calls over the shop manager, who also couldn't get it to balance either, the balance machine was giving crazy readings. So he pulls the tire off the rim, reaches inside, and pulls out a full handful of mounting lube and throws it back into the bucket. Then pulls out another handful, not quite as big as the first. Puts it back on the balance machine and all is well. Moral of the story is never underestimate the ability of a shop tech to totally screw up something on your bike.

Ok, sorry it took a day to respond. Busy yesterday.
Weekend is fine with me.
bob

great! I'll get on road Saturday morning, will let you know exact time.
I was also thinking if my rusted swingarm has anything to do with the stability. How long does it take to swap it- if you have time of course (I'm not feeling too confident around driveshaft).

The swingarm has alot to do with stability. Bring it along. It is hard to put a X frame on the replacement.
On that rear wheel work. U need 3 o-rings, they are a must have item. In a pinch I know Tmoney has them all the X.
with the rear wheel bearing U need the seals?
See U saturday

Let's see. We'll get on it on Saturday with acedantinne. We'll keep you posted.

Tmoney has the o-ring needed. u can work out the finals with Tom.
Moly past I have 2 tubes. 1 is new.
Bring bike, swingarm, bearings,seals tool. anything else u have purchase for the change out???
Tom & i have the ST1100 manual so u won't need it.
Besafe, stay warm, see U in the morning
BOB

A quick follow up.

new swingarm installed, new rear wheel bearing & seals o-rings
alot of cleaning,mark & tom.
what was found= swingarm rotted=water ran into drive line. RUST everwhere. Not much left in the way of drive gear surfaces. This on the drive shaft it self.
Final drive wheel=Dampers & sleeves (alum.) egged shaped holder & screws gone no heads on the 5 screws.
drive hub that sets on wheel bearing worn beyond repair. the oring slot gone. spacer as thin as foil=replaced.
the tire= just over 1600 g of weight. removed. remounted tire. after cleaning wheel. balanced.

Thanks to Tom tmoney & Mark for all the help cleaning & keeping me on track. We ran out of daylight. So mark & Tom rode home at night.
The front end is very loose. As is u can move front forks back & forth.= That will be another day/weekend.
Mark stated the bike handle on way home about 50% better than ride here. We did not have X,or parts for front end work. Still need final drive parts to replace.
A word to all steel swingarm bike owners. check that rusted area. Could be water is getting into final drive?shaft area.

Last edited:
Wow... kudos to you guys for helping out, A LOT!!

Okay, it wasn't just the tire.

Good to hear The Community pulled together yet again to help with a major fix.

A quick follow up.

new swingarm installed, new rear wheel bearing & seals o-rings
alot of cleaning,mark & tom.
what was found= swingarm rotted=water ran into drive line. RUST everwhere. Not much left in the way of drive gear surfaces. This on the drive shaft it self.
Final drive wheel=Dampers & sleeves (alum.) egged shaped holder & screws gone no heads on the 5 screws.
drive hub that sets on wheel bearing worn beyond repair. the oring slot gone. spacer as thin as foil=replaced.
the tire= just over 1600 g of weight. removed. remounted tire. after cleaning wheel. balanced.

Thanks to Tom tmoney & Mark for all the help cleaning & keeping me on track. We ran out of daylight. So mark & Tom rode home at night.
The front end is very loose. As is u can move front forks back & forth.= That will be another day/weekend.
Mark stated the bike handle on way home about 50% better than ride here. We did not have X,or parts for front end work. Still need final drive parts to replace.
A word to all steel swingarm bike owners. check that rusted area. Could be water is getting into final drive?shaft area.
I really have to thank Bob and Tom for help. They were great!!! Bob was more concern about me driving home at night than me and that's always appreciated and he- they both have my respect. Thanks again guys.
Judged by how engine was running, I thought that bike was well maintained. Turning out is that the PO was making sure that that's the only thing that he was taking care of. Well, good thing that we found out before Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Now I was able to locate used, but only with 11,000 miles on forks with triple tee from parted bike, so it should be in better condition than mine, still getting complete refit set with seals and bushings. Have ordered new driveshaft joint pinion and some other things.

Wow!.............the more that was taken apart, the more neglect that was found. Glad you had the good help and looks like the bike is gonna be more importantly, safe to ride again.:yes:

Wow!.............the more that was taken apart, the more neglect that was found. Glad you had the good help and looks like the bike is gonna be more importantly, safe to ride again.:yes:
Honestly, I cannot even imagine what could have happened, and what would I do if we, and Many thanks to this site and people involved, didn't find out what's with the bike. I was under impression that PO was taking care of her- judged by how the engine runs and sounds.

Honestly, I cannot even imagine what could have happened, and what would I do if we, and Many thanks to this site and people involved, didn't find out what's with the bike. I was under impression that PO was taking care of her- judged by how the engine runs and sounds.

The one thing you don't have to worry about much when it comes to an ST is the engine...

It's the peripheral stuff that typically has issues. It doesn't mean the PO didn't take care of the bike, perhaps they didn't know the bike well enough to know what to look for. Every bike has it's weaknesses and we are talking about a bike that is approaching it's 20 year age so I think that just goes along with an older bike.

Back
Top Bottom