upgarading from 40 amps !

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
ok been looking at the prospect of my 40 amp going the way of the dodo so started reading the threads about downgrading to the bandit alt n thought no bloody way ! so im now thinking get alternator from a gl1500 and making it fit the pan with all the bodgery i can muster seems like a good idea now dont expect a fast pace to this my deadlines april 13 for having her back on the road hopefully wearing a gl alternator st hybrid ! if it not to hard ill post a how to and what parts post april if you cant wait for me by all means go look theres new alternators on ebay for ?160 posted to the uk the 1 im looking at boasts 95 amps more than double the amps currantly on tap muhahahahahaha :bow1:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
It's already been looked into; do you have access to a machine shop?

I was given a used GL alt and inspected it; though very similar, the 2 alts are also very different. IIRC, the splines on the GL shaft are different dia/count than those on the ST. The mounting plate is entirely different too. It would probably require making a new front half housing of the GL alternator, along with redoing the driven shaft.

I'm not saying it can't be done, on the contrary. Just that it will not be a bolt on process.

I'll donate the GL alt that I have to you, for the cost of shipping.

The Cheese

Good luck. I hope you get it done. Are you doing it just to do it, or forced into by lack of ST parts?

Bike
ST1100
I,v been reading posts on the ST1100 altenator failing.Seems to me it,s rarely because they are overloaded,more to do with mud been thrown up from the road and getting inside the caseing causing the altenator to fail and sometimes sieze.it seems to be a problem more common here in Ireland and Britain than in US and Canada probably because of our damp weather.Also it doesn,t seem to be a problem with the ST1300 as I think the altenator is located higher up out of harms way.
As you seem to have the bike dismantled would it not be an idea to dismantle the altenator and give it a good cleaning and refit it.A new one is quiet expensive and Christmas is on the way.If you do dismantle it be sure to let us know how you get on.

If you go ahead and modify a goldwing altenator you are probably going to have to balance the shaft of it will viberate itself to pieces and God knows what other harm it will do.
Cheers
Pat

OP
OP

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
thanks for the kind offer of an alt but i plan on getting a new 1 and setting about it my plan thus far is to butcher the old alt for the engine end casing and possibly the rotor as to the coment about output its all a moot point how many amps it gives over what is needed just if i get the most powerfull 1 i can jump start cars for fun plus my mrs feels the cold so thinking of wireinge her to the bike mite even get her a heated suit if the thought of bare wires dont please her
im semi forced into this my bikes coverd 70+k and the alt partly seized last year so im thinkin its bound to fail sooner rather than later so better done while its in dry dock

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Mmm. Interesting idea. I will be following this thread with great intrest. Please take loads of pics. If it works you could start a wee sideline business. Thanks for sharing. Cheers

OP
OP

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
cammy ill be happy to do photos ect of the actual alternator ect but im sure most will know where it sits and how to fit 1 theres links and video clips on that so my concentration will be on the final product i will document the idea as soon as ive got the donor alternator from the states , ( funds are slowing this a tad xmas is draining my cash ) but i hope to have it in my hands early jan 13 in the mean time im stripping and cleaning the rear of the pan happy trails to all

OP
OP

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
sorry folks found a good 40 amp cheep so will not be doing the upgrade if anybody really needs 1 built my idea was simply to reuse the engine end of the old aulternator and the rotor with a new or good gold wing alternator split and the windings and other half of th casings screwed together as i havent done this i cant vouch to weather it would have worked but if someone wants 1 built ill leand a hand :)

Top Bottom