Upgrade Zumo 550 to Zumo XT

Has anyone upgraded from a Zumo 550 to the Zumo XT? Is it worth it? I have no issues with the 550, the maps are out of date but are fine for what I am using for now. Just not sure if it is worth the price.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I bought a used 550 (maybe it was 595?) but I don't use it much. Routing is squirrelly even after I sent it to PC Doctor.
But paid so little for it, it was worth the gamble.
The XT is nice, but any working GPS would be an improvement.
Fortunately I do have several others. And they do work.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes. The XT is a worthwhile upgrade if only for the screen, which is bright and visible in full sunlight. All the other benefits of the XT are gravy. I used to wonder what good my 595 was if I could not see the screeen unless it was overcast. John Heath has a video - links are in the thread linked below - that will teach you how to become a guru in Basecamp and the XT.

OP
OP
squid101
I have no problems with the screen on the 550 even in sunlight. I need to find better reviews of the XT to see what the other upgrades are.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Usually, the buttons on the 550 have failed by now.. so that is a weak spot.. the screen on the XT is awesome and big.. It's configurable and the software is just faster. You can stream from your phone if you like such as spotify or prime music. I can't remember the 550 memory but on the XT you can load the entire U.S... I know the older ones would only hold portions of the U.S. at one time.

The up ahead feature is awesome, searches for stuff along your route, I think the 550 searches for stuff using a circle where you are the center so the 10 miles gas station might be behind you ..

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think the 550 searches for stuff using a circle where you are the center so the 10 miles gas station might be behind you ..
You can select to search along your route, so it only displays what is coming up ahead.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I can't remember the 550 memory but on the XT you can load the entire U.S...
I believe the XT's memory is 32 gig, and you can add a micro sd card - I've added a 32 gig SD, it might take larger...I don't know. That 32 gig should handle a few trips....around the world.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I think the XT is the first Garmin I've ever owned - I must have 6 or so left, through the years - that held the Lower Forty- Eight without adding a card.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think the XT is the first Garmin I've ever owned - I must have 6 or so left, through the years - that held the Lower Forty- Eight without adding a card.
I was able to get all of North America on to my Zumo 550 internal memory until a few updates ago. It eventually just became to big and I had to go to an SD card.
Deleting all of the foreign language text files, all of the foreign language help files, all of the foreign language audio files, and all of the English language audio files except the one text and audio file that you want to use frees up a lot of internal memory.
i.e. There at least six English language audio files- British, Australian, American, male and female. You don't need five of them. Pick one and keep only that one.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
So this question is kind of like asking, I have a ST1100 that I like, should I upgrade to the new Goldwing?

The 550 was the most reliable GPS that I've owned. I've owned the the 590, and the BMW Nav 6 before my purchase of the XT. THE 590 and Nav 6 left me disappointed. They worked, but not without issues. I've only had the XT for a year, but I'm very happy so far. It is a very different beast than the 550. There will be a learning curve.

If you pair the XT with a smart phone using Garmin Drive the GPS will preform like Google maps. It will alert you to traffic issues or detours and recommend detours. This is really helpful if you are routing multiday rides.

Having used both I can highly recommend the XT. Especially if you can purchase it on sale. This usually saves you $100.

Last edited:
Top Bottom