Urepairable puncture in OEM Dunlop D220- Shinko Advance 005 180/55 installed

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Rats! This is the 2nd time I've picked up a nail (screw, actually) in a rear with less than 2,500 mi. on it. :( Hard to find anything in Great Bend, KS on a Sunday @ 09:00.
A special shout out to Don Newkirk of Nobody's Auto who was dispatched via AMA Roadside Assistance for coming to our rescue 35 mi. out of Great Bend He is native to Great Bend, and made calls around to get us on the road, and especially to the guys at L&L Motorsports who came in on their Sunday morning to get us rolling again.
The only tire they had that would fit was a Shinko Advance 005 180/55. Definitely not my first choice, but @ noon on a Sunday in Kansas I gotta take what I can get. It got us to Pueblo, CO with no problem.
So... now we're on day 3 of of a 16 day Dreamin' of June trip, doing the Rockies, Tetons, Yellowstone, Black Hills & Badlands before heading home to Louisville. Doesn't seem to be any bike shops open in Pueblo on Mondays.
I doubt there is any experience on the board using this tire on a 1300. If there is, I need to hear it.
Does anyone have any idea if there are any shops along our trajectory that would have a correct rear for a 1300? Not picky on brand, although I liked the OEM D220. We're running 2 up fully loaded for 2 wks.
Thanks guys, for any info.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would just run that tire until you wear it out. You will not have any problems with it, have a good trip and I am glad you found a tire on a Sunday.

DAS

STOC #
Yup, ride that tire all the way home and enjoy every mile of it. You're lucky. Last year my brother blew a front brake hose on his LT. No way an odd ball size of any kind was going to substitute for that part so we had to order the real deal and then had to install it our selves because the shop was too busy with other customers. Hey, I'll be the way your going with my brothers in about 2 weeks. I'm getting excited. Have a great ride.

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. We rode 175 mi. yesterday with friends we're staying with in Pueblo. The Advance ran fine again. It's a sportbike tire, and my concern is it's durability (read safety) running fully loaded & 2 up. I looked at the specs and it seems to be rated for the kind of loads it's gonna be subjected to, so we'll see. It's not even the relatively slow mountain riding over the next 7-10 days that's on my mind; it's the potentially very hot freeway drone home that's bugging me. Time will tell. I'll endeavor to stay out from in front of semis on the way home.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Bike
2007 ST1300
Just keep air pressure up. Heat kills tires.( or nails & screws :D ) I'm sure you will be fine. Have a good time and enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
Update
Hi all,
The Shinko Advance got us through the rest of the trip without any problem. With 4,000 mi. on it upon our arrival home it has right at 2/32 tread depth measured in the center. Being sport oriented I suspect the tread's not particularly deep when new, but I'm not complaining. At 09:00 Sunday morining in Great Bend Kansas I've gotta take what I can get.
With the exception of arriving in Pueblo, CO 5 hrs. later than we had planned, we were pretty much where we wanted to be when we wanted to be there for the rest of the trip. I'll post the narrative to Ride Reports as soon as I'm done writing it, to flesh out the highlights I've already posted there.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Top Bottom