US Navy Experienced Rider Course (MSF ERC)

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Spent the day on "company time" riding the STeed on the MSF course located on board Naval Station Norfolk VA. I must say that I had a great time and learned a few things about mt ST1300A. Managed to drag the pegs in corners and then learn to take the corner faster and sharper without dragging the peg (body in, bike up).

Also got the opportunity to test the ABS and then brake to the full extent without ABS kicking in. Lots of good cornering drills too.

I give the course a thumbs up. I plan to take the Navy's MSF Sports Bike Course next. I believe it is known as the Advanced MSF Course in the civil sector. I've done some reading on this forum about track days. I always thought that was for the crotch rocket knee draggers. I'll have to do some homework about track days here in SE VA.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
CLASS will be at VIR on July 4-5, 2012. Check out the website and see what you think. Although most customers ride sportbikes, an ST13 would be fine. I've seen Dyna Wide Glides, Yamaha Warriors, vintage Kawasaki's, quite a few BMW GS's, etc.

Like the courses you've already attended, CLASS has you learning proper skills on your own bike.

www.classrides.com

OP
OP
Chromy
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow! The CLASS sounds like an incredible opportunity to get some incredible training. Thank you for sharing.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Back when I was (I already don't like the sound of this) stationed in Norfolk, to be able to ride on base I had to attend their course. If I remember correctly it was five days total. A couple classroom and a couple three on the bike. There were a couple senior guys with big dressers and they proceeded to drop them multiple times. Unforgettable.

The requirements were long sleeved jacket, gloves and over the ankle boots along with at least a 3/4 helmet. Simple times.

This would have been in 1986.

Dennis

OP
OP
Chromy
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Dennis,
Little has changed. The Basic Rider Class is 2 days long (with one full day of class room training) and the Experienced Rider Course (1 day long with practically no classroom time) within 90 days of the BRC. The instructors are all retired military working for a company that is contracted to train Sailors. We are still required to wear fingered gloves, long sleeve shirts, over the ankle boots, DOT helmet (can wear a brain bucket with dot sticker if you want), and reflective material from dusk to dawn.

No one can ride on the base without the training.

Motorcycle fatalities have dropped significantly since the formal training was implemented a few years back. And surprisingly, cruiser incidents have begun to exceed sports bike incidents in the USN and USMC.

P.S. I was a 3rd Class Petty Officer (AT3) in 1986!

Bike
2007 ST1300
I was a 3rd Class Petty Officer (AT3) in 1986!
I was "in" from 82 to 89. In 86, I was an AE2 stationed at RWATD in Pax River Md. and in August, transferred to HSL-30 at NAS Norfolk. With a two week TAD to Little Creek in between.

Funnyish story. August 1st, had a car pull out in front of me while doing 40mph in Pax River. Car totaled. Re-enlisted on the 3rd and sold back some leave. Bought a well priced Yamaha Virago 750 with the cash and that became my primary method of transportation for the next six months until insurance sorted everything out. The day that I had to check into Little Creek was nasty with a hurricane passing the Bay so I rode down Oceanview doing 5 mph in water covering the sides of the road, soaked. Got to base and made it to the quarterdeck to check in and they got a call while I was standing there informing them that the base was going to close because of the storm so they sped me through the process and got me out of there just as they were shutting the gates..... Made the 5 or 6 mile ride back to my apartment with the front wheel going side to side with every wind gust. Lots of fun.

So where were you stationed?

Dennis

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Back when I was (I already don't like the sound of this) stationed in Norfolk, to be able to ride on base I had to attend their course. If I remember correctly it was five days total. A couple classroom and a couple three on the bike. There were a couple senior guys with big dressers and they proceeded to drop them multiple times. Unforgettable.

The requirements were long sleeved jacket, gloves and over the ankle boots along with at least a 3/4 helmet. Simple times.

This would have been in 1986.

Dennis
I was military contractor in 1986 and took the AF 2-day course so that I could get the sticker to get on/off the bases. Sadly, I remember how inane some of the stuff was and how condescending the instuctors were, but also I recall that overall the riding lessons and some of the instruction was good--it was my very first course.

OP
OP
Chromy
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Currently starting my "twilight tour" (for non navy types read: final assignment prior to retirement) stationed on board the aircraft carrier USS HARRY S TRUMAN assigned to the Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department. We do all of the off aircraft repairs ranging from jet engines to advanced RADAR systems.

OP
OP
Chromy
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I was military contractor in 1986 and took the AF 2-day course so that I could get the sticker to get on/off the bases. Sadly, I remember how inane some of the stuff was and how condescending the instuctors were, but also I recall that overall the riding lessons and some of the instruction was good--it was my very first course.
Yes, back in the day when military instructed the course it could be very good training, but you did not get the "coaching/customer service approach" that you get with the current program. The instructors are constantly evaluated and have been terminated if they get a few bad reviews.

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Glad to hear you all were able to enjoy a positive learning curve from the mandatory military training. I am in the Army and at Fort Drum, NY. I have take both the experianced and sport bike rider course and learned how to ride smoother. These are MSF sponsored training events and you may even receive college credits for them. Our base has became more open to soldiers riding motorcycles and has a Mentorship program to promote safe riding habits. We are putting the joy back in riding on and off base. My only complaint is soldiers who follow all the rules on post only to go off post and remove thier personal protective gear and ride how they wish. I still see from the Priliminary Loss Reports that soldiers with out training or protective gear riding too fast and loosing control. I hope you are able to lead by example and mentor your Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines to get the training and have a great ride.
Gary

Bike
BMW K1300S
Retired Non-Seagoing (NAC) Navy here.
I've taken the C.L.A.S.S. a few times at Laguna Seca when I lived on Fort Ord (Laguna Seca is on the back side of Fort Ord) and was stationed at the Defense Language Institute. It is a blast, but is kind of geared towards sport bike riders. An ST1300 would be right at home in the class, just keep the revs high and ride it like a sport bike. When I did it, BMW sponsored the class and you could do a ride along on the back of a BMW 1200LT with Reg (Pridmore). Even though it was a touring bike, it scared the bejesus out of me cuz we were low and fast all the way around the circuit.
Requirements were full leathers (2 piece that zips together is okay), bike in working order, good tires, and taped over mirrors and headlights. You could not pass (stuff) anybody on the inside of a curve, but you could take a wider line all day long and pass in the straights. Laguna Seca has braking markers on all the turns (other tracks should have something similar) so late braking wasn't too much of a problem.
Enjoy.

OP
OP
Chromy
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll definately be signing up for the sport bike course now. Thank you.
I'll have to save up for the C.L.A.S.S. so I can experience something close to the limits on a track.

Keep it "smooth"....

Top Bottom