Venting Heat Away

I'll be investigating something like this. It makes a lot of sense. I tried the aluminum/reflectix fix, and got no joy. it reduced it a small amount, but not enough. A bead seat cover helped a little, as do my home made "Baker Air Wings". However, adding a bit more cooling would be great!

I am thinking something to induce a venturi effect, mounted in the same place.

After a ride in 88* sunny weather the other day, I am ready to try something new!
I have been some miles on my newly acquired ST and the heat is something else even in the cool weather. One of my buds who is an NASA engineer and an avid motorcycle ride rode the bike and found out the heat on the ST to the rider. Dead airzone in the fairing holding in the heat > suggested on installing a vent like his Wing has... Any thoughts...

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I have been some miles on my newly acquired ST and the heat is something else even in the cool weather. One of my buds who is an NASA engineer and an avid motorcycle ride rode the bike and found out the heat on the ST to the rider. Dead airzone in the fairing holding in the heat > suggested on installing a vent like his Wing has... Any thoughts...
That's a great idea.

Bike
2006 ST1300
If someone could figure out a way to do this and look good...and it works...I'd love to hear about it!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
It is hard to tell from that picture, what track the air collected by that GW vent follows. But it would seem to be very similar to just removing the inner cowls on the ST,, which then provides cold air dilution to the hot air exiting around the cylinder heads. Regarding the low pressure zone trapping hot air in front of the rider,,, I took 2 steps that dramatically reduce the tendency. One,,, eliminate any gap at the seat tank junction. Two, I raked my windshield slightly,,, to flow more air up the back of the shield, which equalizes the pressure. There is already a lot of cool frontal air flowing up past the triple tree. Cheers, Cat'

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've only had my 1300 for a few days but have already experienced the heat issue around the tank/seat area. Did not really notice it riding at 22C or below AND wearing textile pants with a quilted liner. Really did notice it at 24C or above, but also had taken the liners out by then, and also seemed really bad when the main tank was empty.

The 1100 has the hoover hoses within the fairing that discharge into the area behind the airbox under the fake tank. Maybe this helps to drive the hot air away and stops the same heat soak issues? Seems to me the 1300 just traps stagnant hot air in the area at the back of the engine, and that it can't escape. I've taken the inner fairing out as a first step and will put reflective tape on the tank underside. But some means of positively pushing the hot air away seems like a good idea.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I've got the heat issue also on my 08 ST1300. It's only on my shins though , but it gets irritating in the hot weather months . Which we only have a few :)

I may experiment with either drilling holes or making a slot in the lower black fairings and installing a vent. If I can get the directed heat down and let it out , then there should be less heat being thrown on my shins......To Be Continued....

Bike
2006 ST1300
I DID install Whooshka's vent ( older GW vents), not a bad idea, and it did reduce the heat at least a bit, especially at speed. Reading a thread about someone going to the OCD garage, Igofar ( Larry) was adamant about having the throttle bodies sync'ed correctly, and although I had balanced them using a TwinMax, I decided to do it with a 4 tube balancer ( I made one). That seemed to make a bigger difference, but it was towards the end of the hotter season here, and I need to do more testing. There was a lot of balancing to do.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've only had my 1300 for a few days but have already experienced the heat issue ........
Maybe this helps to drive the hot air away and stops the same heat soak issues? Seems to me the 1300 just traps stagnant hot air in the area at the back of the engine, and that it can't escape. I've taken the inner fairing out as a first step and will put reflective tape on the tank underside. But some means of positively pushing the hot air away seems like a good idea.
You seem to be on the right track. This is the point I've been trying to get across. It's not a matter of forcing more air in, it's being able to draw the heat out.

I couldn't find the post where I made the analogy of smoking a cigarette in a car. Consider the cabin of your car the inside of the fairing. You can open all the vents and turn on the fan but the smoke remains in the car. But if you crack the window open the smoke gets drawn out. That's what my vent is doing, pulling the heat out from under the fairing. The openings by the cylinder heads needs some help. Just my 2 cents worth.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You seem to be on the right track. This is the point I've been trying to get across. It's not a matter of forcing more air in, it's being able to draw the heat out.
I saw one post from last year where you said your mod made a noticeable difference. Now that it's been a year, is it working as well as you originally thought? I have an ST11, but my brother has an ST13 and he thinks his runs pretty hot, so his bike might get to go under the knife for this.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I saw one post from last year where you said your mod made a noticeable difference. Now that it's been a year, is it working as well as you originally thought? I have an ST11, but my brother has an ST13 and he thinks his runs pretty hot, so his bike might get to go under the knife for this.
So my riding season last year was cut short due to health problems for me and the bike. LOL But yes, 2 other ST riders rode my bike and both said there was a noticeable difference. Hey I'm just giving an honest opinion. I have nothing to gain, just sharing what I did with others. Tell your brother just tape off the area he wants to install it, mark an outline of the vent on the tape and then just hit it with a Dremel cut off wheel. Don't even have to remove the fairings if he installs them where I have mine. It's not rocket surgery. ;)

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So my riding season last year was cut short due to health problems for me and the bike. LOL But yes, 2 other ST riders rode my bike and both said there was a noticeable difference. Hey I'm just giving an honest opinion. I have nothing to gain, just sharing what I did with others. Tell your brother just tape off the area he wants to install it, mark an outline of the vent on the tape and then just hit it with a Dremel cut off wheel. Don't even have to remove the fairings if he installs them where I have mine. It's not rocket surgery. ;)
Got it, thanks! The trick is, his ST13 is a silver '07, so need to try and match the paint.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Or just leave the vents satin black as is. I personally don't think they look bad.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Or just leave the vents satin black as is. I personally don't think they look bad.
That's probably what I'd do, but we'll see what he says. He only rides a few thousand miles per year, so not super critical.

Top Bottom