VFR800 vs ST1300

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I own an ST1300 and have been considering selling it and getting a VFR 800, VFR 1200, or even a BMW K1200S, K1300S.
My square is probably OR, WA, ID, BC, and Northern CA.
Rarely do I ride over 400 miles in a day (not that I can't I just don't) More like 300.
I been thinking of something smaller, lighter, more nimble.
Any thoughts from those of you that have both or have had both?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Dave,
I had a 98 VFR before my ST. Great bike but not for 2 up and frankly, not for long distances on my old, out of shape body. Glad I sold it for the ST but still wish I had it if you know what I mean. Plenty fast, handled good (at least for me), reasonably comfortable for 2 hours at a time.
If you are considering a used one, get one of the gear driven cam ones (I think pre 2000). Incredible engine note!!!
An older one might be cheap enough that you can keep the ST as well!

Rod

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
AgSTreak had an ST, still has a VFR800...I'm sure he can offer some helpful insights.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
had 2007 VFR ABS (put 13K+ on it) - beautiful bike. It is fun and capable. I commute every day on my bike so wanted something with built in bags and better weather protection but nothing wrong with the VFR. Now when it comes to maintenance I think the VFR is more expensive then the ST and I believe my insurance was about 25% more for VFR than for the ST as VFR is considered a Sport bike.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I had 43k miles on my '03 VFR, honestly....with the heat issues I'm having on the ST, I wish I had it back.
The ST is more comfortable but I could do 600 mile days on the Viffer.

On the freeway I would take the ST any day over the VFR, but I don't ride freeways very often.
Anywhere else, I prefer the VFR.

I had a Givi windscreen, Heli risers, and the hardbags, still with the stock seat.

DSC01166_6_1 (Large).JPG

Bike
St1300
I have a 2006 ST and a 99 VFR. Also had a 96 VFR. The VFR's are much lighter and sportier than the ST, but not nearly as comfortable, even with helibars. Also too small for comfortable 2 up riding. VFR's are a comfortable sport bike, but not comparable to the ST. The geardrive models have an engine sound to die for, especially with a Staintune pipe. You can find the 4th and 5th gen VFFR's for <$4000 in very good shape. Keep both--that's what I did!

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Dave,

There is no doubt that the VFR is a great motorcycle. You will love it if you get one. But, as was said, having both is the best option. Mine has the gear driven cams and intoxicating exhaust. The VFR 800 is much more advanced than my VFR700, but then I have the original. Slap a pair of soft bags and some camping gear and you are off...

I love my ST, but also love giving my adrenal gland a work out once in a while.

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Hmmm
Keeping both??
I like the sound of that:D
Certainly I would not be able too if I went for the BMW K1300S but I see lots of early 2000 VFR's in Seattle/Portland Craigs List for 4K-5K.
I do all my own maintenance so that is never an issue.

Bike
GL1800
Another vote for BOTH! The VFR is pretty handy and can tour as well but the rule is "Different horses for different courses". And get the 5th gen version unless you are going to tour a lot and need the factory hard bags.

The K1200S is a lot faster (top speed) but not as quick and for sure more expensive. My buddies is for sale in San Diego.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I own an ST1300 and have been considering selling it and getting a VFR 800, VFR 1200, or even a BMW K1200S, K1300S.

As others have said, buy the VFR & keep the ST. Best of both worlds. My stable included both for years. The ST was usually only used on really long distance, multi day to multi week trips where I would be burning up a lot of interstate miles. The VFR was for weekend rides and short to medium distance touring on back roads. It was my preferred ride if I was travelling within Texas or surrounding states.

My square is probably OR, WA, ID, BC, and Northern CA.
Rarely do I ride over 400 miles in a day (not that I can't I just don't) More like 300.

That is the perfect mileage for the VFR. The most I ever did was 700 miles in one day but 300 to 400 was the norm. Add a Sargent seat and you can do this daily mileage easily. The viffer is a very comfortable bike with great ergos.

If you're going to buy used, there's nothing like the character of the 5th generation ('98 to '01). Reliable gear driven cams with a sweet sound, a nice growling airbox and great ergo's made it my all time favorite bike. The best of the lot is the '00 and '01.

as mick states...2001 is last of gear driven cams on vfr800 model...that vfr model is so complementary to the st1300...i enjoy very much both...switching off from one to the other is so much fun since they work quite differently...vfr is a very rewarding higher rpm whine & feels much lighter/flickable...than the st13...but for long trips, of course, the st13 gets the nod...i am quite happy with having both(except the insurance is quite a bit higher on the vfr over the st13...being listed as in sport bike group as mentioned)...i'm not giving up either one...they are a very fun matched set!...:03biker::)

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Just to wet your appetite Dave, here are a couple of pictures of my dearly loved VFR that I sold this summer.

Words can not express just how much I hated selling the Yeller One. I had to let go of it because of medical issues that will probably not be resolved until next fall, so I let it go to a new home. I was tempted to keep it until I recovered but it would have sat in my garage unridden for almost 2 years had I done that. Machines have to be ridden to stay in shape.

Don't know what I'll get next but there's no way I'll ever bond with a bike like I did this one.

OP
OP
STDaveNW

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for sharing!!
There is close to me just like it for $3,400.00
Is the 800 V4 known as a high mileage motor like the ST 1100 and 1300 are?
Everyone who has ever had one speaks so lovingly about them.
I WANT ONE AND WILL HAVE ONE BEFORE SUMMER:D

if i remember correctly...4k rpm on the st1300 is about 80mph in fifth gear...60mph on vfr800 is about 4k...in sixth gear, of course,...so, seems reasonable to me that the vfr will wear out "down the road" quicker than the st13(or st11, for that matter)...:03biker:

Bike
05' ST
Check out the VFR Discussion and VFR World web sites,alot of good info.I traded an '05 ST for an '06 VFR abs and will never regret the move.Seemed like the ST was great to get to point B but not much excitement along the way.The VFR puts the smiles back in the ride, is great looking and a fairly high tech bike for the money.
Ride one first,alot of bodies are not made to bend like that for any length of time,I've had no problems on a couple 11-12 hour days.

Bike
St1300
The only reliability problems on the VFR's are the charging systems, specifically the rectifier/regulator and the wires from the alternator to the RR. Not hard to fix. The engines are pretty bulletproof, just like the ST.

STOC #
Hey Mick--

I hope you are on the mend and I hated to hear you had to sell the VFR. I remembered it from Bob Stafford house while we were doing the valve adjustments and that thing was beautiful. When you posted it for sale, and I had to restrain myself from giving you a call. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for whenever you get back in the saddle.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
if i remember correctly...4k rpm on the st1300 is about 80mph in fifth gear...60mph on vfr800 is about 4k...in sixth gear, of course,...so, seems reasonable to me that the vfr will wear out "down the road" quicker than the st13(or st11, for that matter)...:03biker:
This is complete and total misinfomation. The Viffer's V4 is bullet proof just like the ST. As has been said here...I love my VFR for the speed, cornering, shorter distances. The ST doesn't come close in cornering ability before scraping hard parts, but way more comfortable for the long haul of course.

P.S. VFRD.com is the place for everything VFR...

This is complete and total misinfomation.
i will refrain myself, being the start of holidays,...however, perhaps restraint is something you, 2thdr, should also exercise prior to your uniformly dismissing someone else's posting...best wishes to your holidays & safe & :03biker:happy riding your vfr as i intend to do also in 2011!

Top Bottom