Voltmeter Question (I'm Back) :-)

Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Greetings All,
After waking up from my Hibernation (and the unseasonably cold end of winter in Chiraque). A bit of a follow-up and question for the forum.
  • I had the misfortune of pulling my rig out of winter cover early due to utility work on the street. Bike started up after a bit of prodding after the battery install and removing towels from exhaust. Took him around the block and (wouldn't you know it for those that tracked my post from last year) the tach decided to work. We'll see how long that last.
  • My two biggest priorities to address are the overheating engine (probably the Thermostat) and the leaky vacuum petcock.
After I address those two issues, my next objective is to install a voltmeter for the short term until I can upgrade the Alternator for my '91 rig. I am open to any suggestions as to where I perform a permanent install, and recommendations on the make/model of voltmeter to use (Prefer a mode with a scale instead of a numerical readout). Thanks all in advance.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Some guys have used the space where the headlight adjust knob sits for placing an analog voltmeter. I believe Honda actually has/had one that fitted in there nicely, with a bit of surgery I imagine.

OP
OP
Rogue_Bolo
Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Some guys have used the space where the headlight adjust knob sits for placing an analog voltmeter. I believe Honda actually has/had one that fitted in there nicely, with a bit of surgery I imagine.
Any info on the make/model of the meter and/or if is is a scale or numerical type of meter?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
For the meter, the Service ST has one. The parts are about $100 for the meter and a bracket, items 5 & 7. You'll have to modify your headlight adjuster as item 12 isn't available. Looks like a little Dremel work could do it for you. For $15 you can buy one and play with it. Might try Silvers Spares (US) for item 12. They have some discontinued parts.

2003 model

1991 for comparison

Attachments

Last edited:

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
This was what I am looking at...Screenshot 2022-03-14 010705.png
To each his own, but that indicator isn't fine enough to really tell what the health of the charging system is going on.
Personally I prefer a digital indicator....
Example from Amazon...

One I'm running on the VFR

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Just to mention it, a volt meter uses so little current, it can be directly powered from any switched circuit without a relay. A wire with little load current, like the +12v wire for the tach, would give an accurate reading.

OP
OP
Rogue_Bolo
Bike
91 Honda ST1100
Just to mention it, a volt meter uses so little current, it can be directly powered from any switched circuit without a relay. A wire with little load current, like the +12v wire for the tach, would give an accurate reading.
...as a former Electronics tech, I have to take into account the internal impedance to compensate for any major difference of potential. I think the difference will be negligible. I don't expect minute accuracy from a 30+ year old machine. as long as Ihe output level is above 13.8 I will be content as I will not drive many accessories. I just want something so I can keep an eye on the voltage level until I get around to upgrading the alternator. I also want to keep mods to an absolute minimum. I definitely will not be connecting across the battery. The 2/10ths of a volt difference is manageable.

...as a former Electronics tech, I have to take into account the internal impedance to compensate for any major difference of potential. I think the difference will be negligible. I don't expect minute accuracy from a 30+ year old machine. as long as Ihe output level is above 13.8 I will be content as I will not drive many accessories. I just want something so I can keep an eye on the voltage level until I get around to upgrading the alternator. I also want to keep mods to an absolute minimum. I definitely will not be connecting across the battery. The 2/10ths of a volt difference is manageable.
How about one of these...

Battery Montior – Electrical Connection

I've got one installed on my '93 for the same purpose as you want to do on your '91. Inexpensive, easy to install, works..

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
(Prefer a mode with a scale instead of a numerical readout).
What you said above seems to be at odds with what the picture of your desired meter looks like. A "scale" would indicate an analog type meter, like the Honda unit, but if you just want an LED display, there is one that is a single LED that will display multiple colours, depending on the state of the battery.

Made by a bloke in England, quite small, easy to mount in the dash area of the fairing and works just fine. It even self dims at night. I installed one on my ST. If I can find the seller's name again, I'll come back to post it, but I know others have used it too, so maybe they will chime in.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Here you go. Order the smaller one, if this suits you
That’s the one I have on my ST and on the previous GL 650. I’m very happy with them and once you’re comfortable with the lighting patterns, it’s “take a peek and get riding”…

I’ve mounted mine so it’s usually in my peripheral line of site. In addition, it doesn’t draw much at all when the bike is off so I leave it to glow red when I park the beast.

Cheap, cheerful, accurate and I didn’t have to do much to install it.

One thing I’d point out is that where you power any meter from can impact the accuracy of its readings. I tested a few spots on the bike to make sure I used one that reflected the battery state as closely as possible.

Lots to choose from!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That’s the one I have on my ST and on the previous GL 650. I’m very happy with them and once you’re comfortable with the lighting patterns, it’s “take a peek and get riding”…

I’ve mounted mine so it’s usually in my peripheral line of site. In addition, it doesn’t draw much at all when the bike is off so I leave it to glow red when I park the beast.

Cheap, cheerful, accurate and I didn’t have to do much to install it.

One thing I’d point out is that where you power any meter from can impact the accuracy of its readings. I tested a few spots on the bike to make sure I used one that reflected the battery state as closely as possible.

Lots to choose from!
I used the switched and 5 Amp fused accessory plug that resides as a separate wire beside the main fuse block. Only on when the ignition is on.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
A bit of wood and a hole saw in a drill press will open the dash for a voltmeter / USB power (clamp it down before cutting):

Keep the resulting square ring to space the adjuster knob properly, then just drill a hole on the other side and square it with a file:

Admittedly a bit more work, but it sure is clean.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
If you are okay not having the scaled display, have you considered a SparkBright LED voltage indicator? I believe the set point can be whatever you want it if the factory setting doesn't suit your needs. I installed one, easily seen in daylight and at night.

Top Bottom