Jackets Wanting a waterproof jacket

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
After many years of using "cheaper" gear, I'm thinking of finding a goretex jacket so I don't need to stop and put in a liner or carry separate raingear.

This would be used for longer trips and such-- for my everyday commute I'll still use my mesh jacket-- it's really warm and humid here most of the year!

Any recomendations on waterproof jackets? Klim? Darien light? Aerostitch?

Thanks!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They all leak eventually, some sooner than others. No matter what someone says about a jacket/suit, you'll find someone that has the same one and it leaks.. for me, I always bring the rain gear as it's guaranteed to work better than anything else. I never cared for the frog toggs but many like those and they do pack very small. I prefer the olympia rain gear and it's worked well for me.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Yea, I have frog toggs stuff, but many times I'm in and out of rain cells and it's a PIA to stop on the side of the road to put on gear then have to take it off again further along. With my mesh jacket, the liner is really only a partial coverage and anything in the pockets gets wet (key fob, garage door opener, etc...)

Once I get moving, I like to stay moving...

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Yea, I have frog toggs stuff, but many times I'm in and out of rain cells and it's a PIA to stop on the side of the road to put on gear then have to take it off again further along. With my mesh jacket, the liner is really only a partial coverage and anything in the pockets gets wet (key fob, garage door opener, etc...)

Once I get moving, I like to stay moving...
Don't blame you for that... I keep the things I don't want wet in the top box and just ride thru the rain cells. You dry out in 15 minutes.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have an older olympia moto quest, now the x moto jacket. It comes with a rain liner you can wear under or over the jacket and can give you some warmth as well.

As @bstig60 mentioned, for most rain cells I just ride through them, especially in the summer. My pants are some older Ranger 2 pants that have been surprisingly water proof. They don't make those anymore I guess, looks like the Sentry Pants are the replacement but no leg cargo pockets like the ranger which I liked because I could put my wallet in there and it was waterproof.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd probably go with Klim if I was trying to find the best all around option... but far from economical..

BUT.. for that money you get gore-tex and more importantly, some of it has D3O armor which is great stuff.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Waterproof clothing is an oxymoron. Like Joe said, they all leak eventually. Many years ago I was interested in sailing, and back then (pre Gore-Tex) many manufacturers made waterproof gear, but all the sailors complained it was not. Whatever you buy will work for a while, but the stresses of moving and stretching will eventually cause tiny holes where pieces of fabric are sewn together (seams). Welded vinyl will be waterproof until it tears (dry bags) but it doesnt breathe and you are not going to wear a fisherman's slicker.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I don't do any travelling in summer-- it's too damn hot and humid! I prefer to take my trips in spring or fall-- last trip (october) I got caught on the BRP when a cold front came thru. Temp dropped to 43 degF and I ended up riding the rest of the way in the cold and rain.. I'm willing to deal with wearing a warmer jacket or a waterproof shell that I can wear an electric liner under if it gets really cold...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The most protective and versatile piece of gear I own is an Aerostich Roadcrafter. It will leak eventually in long periods of rain but for riding in and out of rain or the light stuff it works a treat. Even in heavy rain if I keep the lap creases draining and stand up every few minutes the water stays out. It’s generally for day riding use November to May here in Florida and for long distance trips year round. It ventilates well but you have to keep moving to move air through it. I Frogg Togg over mesh in warm weather close to home.

What a.subjective subject. Breathable rain gear of any kind starts breathing water sooner or later. You'll know when that time is about 50 miles into a rainstorm. These breathable suits are fantastic until that time. IMHO they have to be replaced every couple years or treated with something that hopefully works.
Vynil suits are about the same except you can usually see when they need replaced.
You will know your gear has failed when you stop for gas and have empty your boots as well....
Living in the hot, humid south I don't think they make a wearable " does it all" suit. If they did I would want one too.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have one suit . . . for all seasons.

Aerostich for me. Like most things though, if you don't maintain it why would you not expect it to leak. I wash mine once a year and recoat it with ScotchGuard, one can for the jacket and one for the pants and I'm good to go for another season. As Dave noted, I keep the lap creases turned down so water doesn't pool at the crotch and I'm dry in the heaviest rains. Keep gloves tucked into the sleeves, otherwise they'll fill up with water. Likewise, pant cuffs go over the boots or they'll fill up. The only place water gets in for me is what runs off the back of my helmet and onto my neck. I just haven't found a way to keep the back of my collar snugged up to my neck to prevent some water from getting inside the suit. It's not much, but . . .

Shuey

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Gore-tex is great when it is new, but it will eventually break down and no longer be waterproof. Now I'm talking like after 6 years here. I've owned several Aerostitch Darien jackets over the years. Washed all of them per Aerostitchs instructions.

Like many have said, Gore-tex is great for the 1-2 hour ride through rain. An all day ride in the rain requires dedicated rain gear. Rain gear can also work as a addition layer of wind block and insulation when the weather takes a unexpected dive in temperature.

We also use Olympia rain gear with great success. It has a hood with a rubber gator that can be used to keep rain from going down your neck.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I've had good luck with Olympia gear, but my favorite so far is the Aerostich Darien. I have a preference for Gortex when it comes to waterproof. My Danner gortex hunting boots are 20 years old and I can still wade creeks, sit on my stand in rain and my feet remain dry. My Darien has always kept me dry in some very heavy down pours. Rode 300 miles in the rain and stayed dry.

Top Bottom