Warning..Serious tire failure using Tire Guard pressure monitor

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Important message:

I recently experienced a serious valve stem failure while using the TireGuard pressure monitors which screw onto the valve stem of the wheel.

I was doing 80mph at the end of a 400mi ride when the rubber, near the base of the valve stem threads, came apart and caused a sudden loss of pressure on the front tire. No fun. The TireGuard monitors were on my tire for a total of 1600mi when my failure occurred.
Nowhere on the box did it say that "metal valve stems are required". In fact, the literature says it can be used on all valve stems.
IF anyone is considering using this product, IMHO, you MUST replace the valve stems with all metal ones!
Now this begs the question, does anyone know of a metal valve stem that can be used on the ST 1300 wheels? Has anyone else had a similar experience using this product.
Your collective opinions and comments are most welcome.
Thanks much
MotoGP

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I went with the Kisan TireAlert for this reason, among others. The Kisan sensor is built into a right-angle valve stem.

Marshal

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There are a few here that have run into this... not the failure so much but the bending of the oem rubber valve stems, metal will be a better approach for that particular system.

OP
OP
motogp
Bike
'03 ST1300A
Yes, at first they bend, they they will eventually give out!

Thanks
MotoGP

Been there, Done that!

Valve Stem failed with TireGard TPM installed

Two things, there was a problem with some of the OEM valve stems that may have contributed to this problem

Secondally, if your going to run an external Tire Pressure Monitor on the valve stem, METAL VALVE STEMS SHOULD BE REQUIRED

I still love my System and would not be without it!

OP
OP
motogp
Bike
'03 ST1300A
Dannyk,
Thanks for the great link!
Have you tried these? They sure do look well made.

Thanks again,
MotoGP

Byron

STOC #
Actually the stems you need are these.

You don't want to use an angled stem with the sensor. The hole in the rim is 11mm if memory serves me correctly. So 11 millimeters = 0.433", the stem should work but you can double check with them.

I ended up buying some from Patchboy.com like the ones Byron posted about, but mine are only 3/4" - it doesn't look like they carry them anymore

17-560 3/4" Chrome "Enkei" Style Tire Valve, .453" rim hole $1.10

You definitely want a short straight stem with the TPM. KurveyGirlhas the 3/4"

Sorry to hear of your problems, but a little homework might have saved you some grief. Reports out there (here) already that a metal stem needs to be used.

Bike
2007 ST
I was looking for L shaped metal valves to provide better access to the valve

The Honda shop installed L shaped Goldwing metal valves on my ST

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
It may have been just a valve failure, as we had such failure on the way to Moonshine. Which begs the question, how often should you change valve stems (rubber or metal + rubber)?

But, I'm sure the weight of the TPM didn't help. I'd go with metal only. PS - Doran told me Ariete's were OK with their sensors, which I believe are heavier than the Tire Gards.

Personally, I went with Kisan which is a sensor/90 degree tire valve all in one.

st1300doug

WHOA! I just asked for these as my Father's Day present from my son! NOPE! I'm done. Don't need that kinda stuff happening. That's why THIS Site is so good! I'll use the 35 yr. methode...bend over, use a good gauge. YEP!

Doug - this is a great system, I really like mine. Nothing like the peace of mind if something just doesn't feel right. Now a quick glance at the monitor and I know at least it is not the tires.

Just use metal valve stems

It may have been just a valve failure, as we had such failure on the way to Moonshine. Which begs the question, how often should you change valve stems (rubber or metal + rubber)?
When I first got into Motos my wrench said with EVERY tire change. Ok, but back then my tires went for 17,000 miles on my Wing, and only 8,000 on my ST. However, since the darn ST made it a pain with adding air on the rear tire, I quickly went with 90 degree stems (first tire change), metal.

OP
OP
motogp
Bike
'03 ST1300A
Hojo,
The problem is that bigbikeparts.com, the maker of TireGard, does not say specifically that metal stems are needed. It is my feeling that the pressure monitoring system is perfectly safe if metal valve stems are used.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE TO USE THIS PRODUCT WITH RUBBER VALVE STEMS.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I'm just lucky to still be alive after my failure.

MotoGP

Byron

STOC #
Byron....why not?

MotoGP
You are better off with the shortest stem possible when adding additional weight/length at the cap. The angled stem will probably lead to clearance issues if angled directly off to the side, I belive there is a current thread about that now. If you have to turn the angled stem inline with the center line of the rim you might as well use the straight stem which is shorter and costs less.

If adding air is your issue then check into one of these which will solve getting to the valve stem.

As for when to change your valve stems I inspect at every tire change. I still have the original stems mounted and the bike is an '06. I have a second set of wheels that I did mount the Ariete's on.

Top Bottom