Warning..Serious tire failure using Tire Guard pressure monitor

Hojo,
The problem is that bigbikeparts.com, the maker of TireGard, does not say specifically that metal stems are needed. It is my feeling that the pressure monitoring system is perfectly safe if metal valve stems are used.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE TO USE THIS PRODUCT WITH RUBBER VALVE STEMS.

I have also told the mfg to include warnings to this effect, however, this would limit their sales considerably if folks had to change out to metal stems to use the product.
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I'm just lucky to still be alive after my failure.

MotoGP
I know, they should have a warning on their site, but I did find info when doing my search; that you should use metal stems, and hence, when I got the system I put on metal stems at the same time.

This same issue had been reported on this site as well, post # 6 & 19

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74661&highlight=tire+guard

and here, post # 2

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59018&highlight=kisan

and post 12 & 24

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57082&highlight=kisan&page=2

Sometimes, no matter how silly the question may seem to be, it pays to ask first. If you had of gone down in a crash due to sudden loss of air, I think you'd have a case against them.

Bike
Silver ST
Sorry to hear of your problems, but a little homework might have saved you some grief. Reports out there (here) already that a metal stem needs to be used.
Common knowledge would suggest the manufacturer knew about the metal stem requirement. They don't lose sales to customers not wanting to change out the rubber parts.
VegasRob

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Important message:

I recently experienced a serious valve stem failure while using the TireGuard pressure monitors which screw onto the valve stem of the wheel.
It seems that they manufacturer, www.bigbikeparts.com failed to anticipate the flexing applied to the rubber valve stem due to centrifugal forces encountered when the wheel is rotating at hwy speeds for long periods of time.
I was doing 80mph at the end of a 400mi ride when the rubber, near the base of the valve stem threads, cam apart and caused a sudden loss of pressure on the front tire. No fun. The TireGuard monitors were on my tire for a total of 1600mi when my failure occurred.
I contacted the manufacturer and was told that they have tested these to 150mph. Of course, this test is meaningless unless the test was for a substantial duration to evaluate rubber fatigue. Nowhere on the box did it say that "metal valve stems are required". In fact, the literature says it can be used on all valve stems.
IF anyone is considering using this product, IMHO, you MUST replace the valve stems with all metal ones!
Now this begs the question, does anyone know of a metal valve stem that can be used on the ST 1300 wheels? Has anyone else had a similar experience using this product.
Your collective opinions and comments are most welcome.
Thanks much
MotoGP
See the for sale section I have just what you need.

Keep the stems, take some photos, then send them to, who would it be, NTSB or whomever handles recalls. They should be warned that they need to let customers know.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have had mine for two years and have not had a problem but then again I change the stem each time I change a tire. I think if you continue to use the same stem it will fatigue. Heck I have had stems go bad on my truck with out TPMS. I do agree it is better to use a metal stem but I have never gotten around to ordering a set, but I think I will now to be safe so when I change tires next time I will have a set ready.

The system works very well and if considering just remember to get the metal stems and have them installed on your next tire change!!!

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
The user guide with the Tiregard has a Caution pasted to the inside cover. "Rubber valve stems do not last as long as metal and depending on age and quality of your rubber valve stems, you need to make sure they are in good shape. We do recommend the use of metal valve stems for better durability"

Top Bottom