Water pump time?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thought this was oil from the head gasket when viewed through the Tupperware. When I removed the plastic to bleed brakes, I didn't really rethink it. However, iGo immediately saw that it was more likely coolant. It is coolant and it certainly appears to me to be round hole drainage. Given the volume, it certainly seems to me like water pump time. Any alternative time and money saving hypotheses?

20200724_205506.jpg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Given that coolant mixed with road grime and wind whipping around in the fairing makes it difficult to see exactly where it’s coming from. Plus the mechanical water pump seals Honda uses routinely weep a little from time to time during periods of storage or sporadic use.

Why don’t you clean everything really well and check it again in a few hundred miles? Every ST1300 weeps, seeps, or leaks coolant from the multitude of hose connections in the vee of the engine. Many a water pump has been replaced when a bottle of degreaser and a screwdriver to snug or replace a clamp could have fixed it.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
+1 on Dave's recommendation. Don't assume anything until you clean the engine of all existing grime, and then go ride again to determine exactly where it's coming from.

There was a time on my GL1200 where I was certain I had a significant coolant leaking problem (i.e. head gasket or something), but a simple clean and ride showed it as a hose clamp that wasn't tightened down enough. You'd be amazed where wind can blow things around.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I know it sat for something like 6 months before I bought it. I didn't realize sitting led to weeping, too. Simple green it is.

I will point out the coolant bottle was full when I got it and a few hundred miles later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Upon spritzing some simple green on it, it looked much more like blow back from the square hole.

I think at least some of the radiator hoses have been replaced. It would be consistent with what I've seen for the previous owner to replace hoses but not bother to clean it while in there.

Bike
2007 ST1300
When you take the valve cover off for valve check and then reinstall- often the valve rubber heat shield by the throttle bodies gets caught between the valve cover and the gasket preventing a good seal and allow oil to leak out under the valve cover, dripping down the side of the engine block.

Bike
2007 ST1300
The square opening is coming from the V and would indicate a leak from one of the multiple hoses or O-rings in the engine valley.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
When you take the valve cover off for valve check and then reinstall- often the valve rubber heat shield by the throttle bodies gets caught between the valve cover and the gasket preventing a good seal and allow oil to leak out under the valve cover, dripping down the side of the engine block.
That's what I thought at first, but now i can tell it's coolant. Also, with the plastic off, I can see the valve cover gaskets and they're clear.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It appears the hose to the top of the thermostat was replaced and that was the source of some of this mess.

Started fine and came up to temperature normally. No fluid from either hole. I'm just going to put it back together and ride. Maybe not today though, suddenly got hot AF. Lol

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
While you have it apart I'd put a half turn or turn on each of the clamps you can get to. That's how I kept mine dry - every major service about each 20-24,000 miles when I had the fairing off for the coolant change and valve check I'd snug the clamps. It only grimed up the engine like yours was showing sometime between the 45,000 and 65,000 miles services. After that it stayed dry until the next one all the way to when I sold it at 180,000 miles.

OP
OP
OkieRider
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Done. It's nearly back together. It got hot and I'm a bit dehydrated, so I thought I'd go inside and move the bar over from the stock seat to the Sargent.

One of the bolts appears cold welded to the bracket. The bolt head moves with bracket wiggle but won't budge even with a box end. It's marinading in PB Blaster after two heat cycles but I don't think that will work.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
After that it stayed dry until the next one all the way to when I sold it at 180,000 miles.

Dave, not to hijack this thread but I just have to ask.... How much were you able to get for an ST1300 with 180,000 miles??

Thanks! :)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
:eek: Surprised someone would pay that much!
It looked amazing, like a 18,000 mile bike, ran great, new tires, a few farkles, and complete service records from day 1. Cosmetic appearance items I always touched up or replaced when showing age. Regular clay bar and wax, no paint scratches or marring of paint or plastic.

Two years ago the bottom had not yet been reached in the market and low mileage ST13s that didn't show as well as mine were still $4500 and up. To me I gave it away but I had already bought the Goldwing and the ST needed to go. I had the ST on consignment for 45 days and no activity at $3,500 reserve so I dropped the price and it sold right away.

The square opening is coming from the V and would indicate a leak from one of the multiple hoses or O-rings in the engine valley.
Is the referenced "square hole" approximately 1 1/4" below the water pump weep hole and at the bottom of the water pump housing cover?

I've got 4-5 drips of coolant coming from weep hole or square hole at start up. Also after running to operating temp, there is some steam coming for the lower area (square hole?) of the housing cover.
If there is steam coming out, is that an indicator of a pump mechanical seal failure?

Rich

Okay - a little more research and I found in the article section topic of water pump weep holes.....I learned the square hole is the drain from the upper engine V area.....so if the leak is from a hose in the "V" area that would account for the steam (wasn't recently washed) and drips from the square hole.

I'll clean the side case below the 2 holes and run the engine tomorrow to watch for drip origination (from which "hole").

Top Bottom