Gloves waterproof rain gloves

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
If you're looking for winter waterproof gloves, look for Hipora lining. I have a pair of Fieldsheer leather winter/waterproof gloves with Hipora lining that are over 25 years old. Amazing quality and they work as advertised!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I use scuba diving gloves, yes your hands get wet, however, the thin film of water between your hands and the glove helps you stay warm, the neoprene insulates from the cold. Combine that with heated grips and your hands are super comfortable. The added bonus is they dry quickly.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Several years ago (well maybe 10 plus) I had a similar question. I was riding across VA and it was raining.. My gloves were getting wet and just icky. I stopped along the road at a Dive Shop. We discussed the matter and I bought a pair of dive gloves. Designed to get wet, and I use them when its raining and warm out. They don't wick water up, they just get wet.

When its colder out and raining I use something like this (this is a pair I got to replace a pair that was getting worn).

I found my first pair by stopping by a local outdoor (camping/hiking place) and discussing with them what I wanted. Something that was waterproof and breathable and warm.

I got a pair, similar to the above and used them for several years until they got to worn for further use. The pair listed above is a pair I got for Christmas this year and just had a chance to use them in some the rain last week. Worked as designed. Hands did not get wet and were comfortable.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Looking for waterproof rain gloves that breathe.
Dunno what's avail over there, I'm very happy with a Dainese GoreTex model, as well as a quite thick cold weather model from Held with a Sympatex diaphragm.
Some hints though:

I use thin, fabric under-gloves to not unintentionally pull the inner liner out when taking the gloves of my hands

despite the GoreTex being waterproof, the outer shell (leather & Cordura) should be impregnated

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Had the long gauntlet version but now have these which fit under my AeroSTich RoadCrafter 2pc jacket sleeves.

Recommended. [Edit: no, they are not “breathable.” My hands don’t sweat {unless the immediate air layer surrounding them is quite warm}, breathable is not a factor in waterproof gloves/overgloves selection for me. Nor is what little insensible water vapor my hands may actually produce, which is what a “breathable” membrane actually passes.]

The problem with all the gloves I know of with a waterproof/breathable liner is that the membrane is NOT directly under the outer layer, leather or fabric, it’s under the insulation so that get soaked and assumes the ambient temperature(s). IOW, put on a rubber glove and stick your hand in a bucket of ice water… yeah, the skin on your hand stays dry, but….

BTW, I have sprayed my Aerostich elk skin ropers with Rusto-Oleum Never Wet water repelling treatment. Works well for most light rain/drizzle, anything short of a frog-strangler. FWIW

PS I also use Warm&Safe heated glove liners. Also recommended.

PPS I know of no Gore-Tex (accept no substitute) or other waterproof/breathable “SHELL”/overglove for use over normal insulated gloves.

John

Last edited:

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought a pair of Alpinestars Valparaiso v2 Drystar Gloves last summer and I have ridden in some heavy downpours and they have stayed perfectly dry for me. They are not insulated but I still use them as my cool-weather gloves as well, but only because I have heated grips.

Alpinestars Valparaiso v2 Drystar Gloves - Cycle Gear

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I've had very good luck with these gloves from Held Air N Dry. I've ridden with them in temps from 32F - 100F on 30 - 40 day tours in all kinds of weather with multiple consecutive days of rain and have stayed dry. The vented side is not as good as a pure vented glove, but pretty good up to 80F or so. They do a pretty good job of keeping my hands warm down to 32F if you have heated grips. They're as close to having one glove do it all that I have found.

I've found the trick to using Gore-tex gloves is to make sure your hands are dry when you put on the glove. If your hands are a little wet it will feel like your gloves have a slight leak, but they don't. I have 2 pairs of these at 2 different locations and a pair for my wife.

They're pretty pricey at Revzilla but I included the link so you can see the reviews. I have purchased gloves, jackets and helmets from this outfit - Chromeburner in the Netherlands and have always gotten good prices, fast delivery (I recently purchased a helmet that arrived in NH 4 days after I purchased it) and everything has always been in excellent condition - just a thought.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've gone thru sooo many pairs of gloves that claimed they were waterproof and weren't I just gave up and bought Touratech overgloves. Hate 'em, but my hands stay dry, and they pack super small. Some MAY be waterproof but the other problem is once your hands get the slightest bit damp you can't get them on (or off), so who knows?

Top Bottom