We love 'em but... World's best cycle. World's worst toolkit.

Bike
2007 ST1300
So time to check my "new to me" bike out. Air cleaner first: The little screwdriver ain't gonna loosen that seat bolt! Crap wrench trying to scratch my fuel tank. Air filter must be worth $1000's cause it's locked up tighter than my uncle (another story). Next; plugs. Easy to get to. Toolkit comes with a spark plug gauge. Wrong gap size then recommended in manual! ***?!?! OK, so I'm planning a 10 day trip. Please help me. How much of my car toolkit do I need to take with me? My SV has enough in its little tool bag to do everything on that bike but an engine overhaul. Incredible bike Honda, but what were you thinking with that useless toolkit?

Anyone trying to do any serious wrenching on a ST1300 with those tools is nuts!

Obviously they haven't done much wrenching and are in desprate need of some good tools!

Absolutely! Maybe the ST is just too reliable (and complicated) to worry about any road side fixes?

With about 186K on ST1300s over the last 7.5 years, I've been stranded once. And that was when my alternator died and took the battery about 10 miles to get used up.

My brother on the other hand and in 41K, has only been stranded by blowouts. And, although not stranded, but has had to push start his bike a few times due to a dead battery.

I think they are pretty reliable!

I've become quite the fan of the spark plug wrench. The rest of it's pretty drecky, but pretty much on par with other factory tool kits.

--Mark

I've become quite the fan of the spark plug wrench. The rest of it's pretty drecky, but pretty much on par with other factor tool kits.

--Mark

I use two 5/8 sockets (one with the rubber insert) and a silicon hose that does great for starting sparkplugs so I don't strip out the threads. :D....never tried the one in the tool kit. Infact, the only time I have used a MC toolkit, was about a year ago when one of the guys here at work took a spill and that knocked a bolt loose, so I used a wrench in the kit to tighten it up! :D

Obviously they haven't done much wrenching and are in desprate need of some good tools!

Those tools? You mean a piece of foam and 5mm allen wrench? 06- anyway

I don't want to hear any complaints about the 06 tool kits! At least you got one. With my 2010, I didn't get a took kit at all! Nor a User's Manual, a speedo/instrument panel, windshield, windshield adjuster, front cowl, side cowls, Mirrors or mirror covers, tip over covers, etc...:eek:4:

Thank goodness I didn't pay that much for it either! ;)

[QUOTE;1646605]Some assembly required![/QUOTE]

Got to have the parts first though! :D

In 65k miles of ownership I never had a problem on the road that kept me from being able to ride it. Problems to date have been dead batteries, a bad fuel pump (got home), fork seals, and left headlight bulbs. There is little any factory motorcycle tool kit could have done to help me on the road. Heck, I'm a mechanic and I rarely carry tools with me on the ST!

Most of that is because it never needs anything. But even if it DID need something, it takes so much work to get to anything that I have little desire to mess with it while on the road. When I do carry a tool kit on longer trips it's mainly so I could tighten a loose fastener if I notice one. So far that has happened once- a top box mounting plate screw.

[QUOTE;1646623]Surely that is what all these ST get togethers are for. While the others are drinking and eating BBQ, you go and get the parts you need![/QUOTE]

Great, just great. Now everybody knows and we're no further ahead. :spank1:

As to what to carry on trips a few threads on that.
Credit Card
RAN list.
Two keys. You'll feel silly when you've jumped the bike but didn't have a key to put it back together.
The oem allen wrench and spark plug wrench. Pitch the rest excess wind resistance just slows you down LOL.
Tire plugger and compressor.

JIS screw drivers for the not-phillips screws.
Stubby for the back screws of the air box.
Leave the front two in the cover so they don't fall out.
8mm socket to lift the tank. Don't loose the two black washers when you pull the bolts.
(2) 10mm? to move the tank to main position.
27mm aka 1 1/16 to pull the rear wheel. Associated allen and muffler mount and clamp socket forget the sizes 12mm 14mm?
Stuff to fix whatever you've added to the bike LOL.
etc.

In 89,000 miles the only time I've pulled a tool out of the side bag is to fix someone else's bike.

Last edited:
In 65k miles of ownership I never had a problem on the road that kept me from being able to ride it. Problems to date have been dead batteries, a bad fuel pump (got home), fork seals, and left headlight bulbs. There is little any factory motorcycle tool kit could have done to help me on the road. Heck, I'm a mechanic and I rarely carry tools with me on the ST!

Most of that is because it never needs anything. But even if it DID need something, it takes so much work to get to anything that I have little desire to mess with it while on the road. When I do carry a tool kit on longer trips it's mainly so I could tighten a loose fastener if I notice one. So far that has happened once- a top box mounting plate screw.
+1. In 120,000 miles only once did I not get home on the ST and like SupraSaber that was an alternator failure at 116,000. No toolkit was going to perform that repair roadside. I do carry the stock toolkit the 2005 came with and added a 6 mm allen for my Throttlemeister bar ends. Once in a while the RH one comes loose and the throttle lock slips.

[QUOTE;1646623]Surely that is what all these ST get togethers are for. While the others are drinking and eating BBQ, you go and get the parts you need![/QUOTE]

Time to start shopping! :rofl1:

Hmmmm....I need a right side cover, I might set up a RTE! I'll buy lunch for the owner of the first black ST that shows up! :D

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

How close is the 2006 to the 2010 black?

No idea...probably close enough I wouldn't care! Why...did you end up with an extra? Mine really isn't terrible...a whole corner broke off while I was trying to access the battery in sub-zero temps, and one bolt was stuck so I tried to gently pry it out a bit. There is no gentle prying of plastic at -15f...lol. The break is behind the right bag anyway, so not a big deal...but if I can find a panel I wouldn't mind replacing it.

Back
Top Bottom