Wednesday coffee and weather, 30 Sep

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Joined
Jan 8, 2015
Messages
808
Location
Rockville, MD, USA
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
Good morning everyone

The end of the third quarter of 2026 is at hand. Can year's end be far behind? Why not mull that over as you enjoy a cup of Cubano roast, which is hot and ready for you.

It's 58°F and mostly clear in Rockville, where we expect a high of 77 under sunny-but-humid skies.

I'll keep working on the uke stands, so that they'll be ready tomorrow. I'm in the slowest part of the process- applying oil-based clear coat then waiting hours for each coat to dry before I can apply the next one. That give me plenty of time to do other things in between applications. There's laundry to be folded and put away, for example, and ukuleles that need playing. Perhaps a round of goof, if there's an open time slot somewhere convenient. I'll meet with friends / former colleagues / former customers for a happy hour this evening, which is always enjoyable.

Stay safe and well everyone and tell your dear ones you love them. Do it today, NOW, for tomorrow may be too late.
 
Good morning and thanks for the coffee , Keith.
Meeting with former colleagues and customers sounds curiously like our First Tuesday, which is coming up next week.

It's cloudy and 57 in MA, rising to 68 and becoming partly sunny.

I got my haircut yesterday morning , then headed to the gym for my core and leg day.
I've got the idea to load Linux onto an old laptop , since mine stopped working and my tablet isn't cutting it. I spent a bit of time trying to locate the memory stick that has an older Ubuntu installer,got sidetracked, but finally found it.

I'll dig up my old laptop and use that, while I figure out the Linux installation technique.
The broken one is just sitting on my coffee table, taunting me...

I've planned on another gym visit, and also got an appointment with the Urologist to go over my recovery.
It also might be a good day for a dog walk.

Enjoy your day,
Steve
 
Morning all, and thanks for the coffee, Keith.

11, dreary and overcast here after yesterday's rain stopping sometime overnight. They are saying highs of 20 with a sun / cloud mix later on.
If so, a ride might be on the books for today's day off. It's a bank holiday (as they say across the pond) but not everyone gets it off. I'm one of the lucky ones who do. It's National Day of Truth & Reconciliation. Here's a linky for anyone interested in knowing more.

@steve3b3 I'm a Linux Mint fan, if you want a Windows like GUI and not working in command console. There's lots of tutorials on using the mint distro and Rufus to make a bootable USB. Mint can run from the USB or install to the hard drive. I've used Dam Small Linux that runs standalone on a USB (great for when you're on an unknown PC, worried about spyware and not worried about hardware key loggers etc....), but it's not as user friendly if you're coming from Windows.

Hope everyone has a great day, and successfully hugs a penguin.

Obo.

1790766855591.png
 
@steve3b3 I'm a Linux Mint fan, if you want a Windows like GUI and not working in command console. There's lots of tutorials on using the mint distro and Rufus to make a bootable USB. Mint can run from the USB or install to the hard drive. I've used Dam Small Linux that runs standalone on a USB (great for when you're on an unknown PC, worried about spyware and not worried about hardware key loggers etc....), but it's not as user friendly if you're coming from Windows.
Yeah, Mint is what I was going to install.
I played with Ubuntu a few years ago, but couldn't bring myself to actually install it. Used Pendrivelinux to run it via USB.
I dug up my old Toshiba laptop, turned it on, and updated windows. That's what I'm typing on, now. As expected, I don't have the hardware necessary to install Win-11, but with everything updated, it's good enough to surf.
The USB mouse is plug-n-play, and I've downloaded Firefox.
I'll find a Mint installer, today, sometime.

Steve
 
@steve3b3 to save typing it out, and in case you're rusty at how to - I got AI to tech-splain it in steps. :)

You can install Linux Mint by creating a bootable USB with Rufus and then booting your PC from it.​

Step 1: Download Required Files​

  1. Linux Mint ISO: Go to the official Linux Mint website and download the ISO file for your preferred edition
  2. Obo likes the Cinnamon edition. Gee Thanks AI. 😂
  3. Rufus: Download the latest version of Rufus from its official website (https://rufus.ie/)

Step 2: Prepare the USB Drive​

  1. Insert a USB flash drive with at least 4GB of free space (8GB recommended)
  2. Launch Rufus. In the Device dropdown, select your USB drive
  3. Click SELECT under Boot Selection and choose the Linux Mint ISO you downloaded
  4. Choose the Partition scheme:
    • GPT for UEFI systems
    • MBR for BIOS or legacy systems
  5. Set the File system to FAT32 and leave other settings as default.
  6. Click START. When prompted, select Write in ISO image mode (Recommended) and confirm that all data on the USB will be erased.

Step 3: Configure Your PC to Boot from USB​

  1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing F2, F12, DEL, or ESC during startup).
  2. Disable Fast Startup and Secure Boot to avoid boot issues
  3. Set the USB drive as the primary boot device.

Step 4: Boot and Install Linux Mint​

  1. Save BIOS/UEFI settings and restart. Your PC should boot from the USB drive.
  2. You will see the Linux Mint live environment. You can try Linux Mint without installing or click Install Linux Mint to start the installation.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions:
    • Select language and keyboard layout
    • Choose installation type (erase disk or dual-boot)
    • Set timezone, username, and password
  4. Wait for the installation to complete, then restart your computer and remove the USB drive.

For anyone else trying this first time, it's not too difficult. Easier than flushing the st1300's brakes for sure! Just be warned it will wipe your pc's hard drive of all existing contents. Have to love putting a disclaimer on things nowadays.
 
Morning Keith & All, from mostly sunny, Southern Utah!

Currently it is 54F, up from 45F and heading for 74F. The storms have headed off to the east, but left us with 1.27" of rain. I haven't heard too much about flooding, although I'm sure a few parts around here did. No breeze yet, but no doubt it winds will be back later. According to the guessers, they be from the N @ 10 to 18mph.

Good luck with the new diggs Brian! :hat3:

My Drs appt went about how I expected. I have to cut down on my Pepsi, limit one per day and cut out eating too many Orange Slices (candy). :cautious:

Today, I need to mow and trim the lawns and see what weeds have been growing, pull or poison them!

No word yet on the fridge fixing.

Breakfast once Chris wakes. Pepsis still on ice.

Anyone :dr13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:
 
Thanks for the start all and same on the wet coast, National Truth and Reconcilliation Day was wondering if it was across the country or only some provinces.
In any event, a two off, two on, one off, two on, two off work sequence works for me, no complaints
We had one shot of heavy rain Monday Tues and looks mix of sun and cloud might get around 16C for a bit
good enough day to finish the annual / sometimes bi-annual burning of the left over gas in the mustang I never drive event
maybe throw the top down - literally - the roof leaks and hydraulics are hooped so it's got that roadster feel
another repair job for someday when I retire meanwhile it's all good jolly fun
Wish everyone a safe ride if you're ableIMG_2881.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Good morning everyone and thanks Keith. I'll take a cup without the clear coat. 74 degrees with a 70 % chance it wont rain. The yard work is partially finished with the back 40 needing further attention.

@steve3b3 Obo and I are big Linux Mint Cinnamon fans. I call it the quiet OS. You make it how you want without all the busy BS of Windows.

Stay safe !!
 
Back
Top Bottom