Weight riding 2 up

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Want to ride with my wife. Manual specifies 385 lb max weight. Our combined weight exceeds that by about 50 lbs.

Who has real world experience going over 385 lbs?

Bike
2010 ST1300
There was a recent discussion about this very topic. I don't remember the title so I cannot give you a link to it. Overloading the bike will compress the springs (fore and aft) making bottoming out possible over a big bump. You might check sag and adjust the preload (rear) to maximum, and even up the spring capacity. You can expect longer stopping distances and will have to ride more defensively, planning ahead. Beyond that, I think the consensus was that the bike will handle a bit over spec gvw but it is not a good idea to always ride like that.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
There was a recent discussion about this very topic. I don't remember the title so I cannot give you a link to it. Overloading the bike will compress the springs (fore and aft) making bottoming out possible over a big bump. You might check sag and adjust the preload (rear) to maximum, and even up the spring capacity. You can expect longer stopping distances and will have to ride more defensively, planning ahead. Beyond that, I think the consensus was that the bike will handle a bit over spec gvw but it is not a good idea to always ride like that.
Thanks! I have stiffened the spring up to max "5" setting, and have added a few psi to each tire.

The wife and I are planning a 20-ish mile ride with empty side cases and empty top box...

I can't imagine some of our fellow American riding couples on their other touring bikes are all within weight specs for their bikes.

Just wondering if I should cancel the trip out of an abundance of caution.

Any long distance riders out there that have exceeded capacity and lived to tell the tale?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
If you’ve ridden two up before, 20 miles shouldn’t be a problem with the settings you’ve made. I’d be more worried about a squirmy or nervous passenger.

Bike
2000 ST1100
What Phil said. One other thing that is important too is check the weight recommendations on your tires. Those weight limits in the manual is based on the oem tires.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
You'll be fine - when my wife could ride with me we 'exceeded' the maximum weight on long rides often.
If you feel the bike 'bottom out' then just slow down a bit and relax.
Thanks, Uncle Phil. I don't have enough experience two-up to know how common it is to exceed max cap., all I know is I see a lot of larger people on lots of bikes, and I can't imagine all of those couples are "within spec" for their rides.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
We ride two up frequently, with loaded saddle bags and top box. The two of us are just under 300 pounds so we ride just under max on both ST's. Neither seems to notice the extra weight much.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When you look at folks touring, and see that Beverly Hillbillies pile of everything out back... don't you wonder how far they have exceeded max GVWR?
I do.
Some are quite comical, we've all seen 'em.
Admittedly, until I got a system, my early moto-camping load outs may have looked similar.
I remember my first dual sport camping rides on my F650GS. But I've learned some things, since then.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you look at folks touring, and see that Beverly Hillbillies pile of everything out back... don't you wonder how far they have exceeded max GVWR?
I do.
Some are quite comical, we've all seen 'em.
Admittedly, until I got a system, my early moto-camping load outs may have looked similar.
I remember my first dual sport camping rides on my F650GS. But I've learned some things, since then.
You mean like this?

1676689153835.png

or like this -

1676689187032.png

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks, Uncle Phil. I don't have enough experience two-up to know how common it is to exceed max cap., all I know is I see a lot of larger people on lots of bikes, and I can't imagine all of those couples are "within spec" for their rides.
I'm sure one of those 'larger' people for sure ... :biggrin:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
We’ve ridden countless rides 2 weeks to 6 weeks over that limit.Been a long time since we were welter weights! Rear tyre takes a beating.Keep luggage weight low.These manufacturers recommend limits to CTA .Kinda like speed limits.l consider them recommended limits.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Want to ride with my wife. Manual specifies 385 lb max weight. Our combined weight exceeds that by about 50 lbs.
Who has real world experience going over 385 lbs?
Well, I once estimated about 550lbs payload when in full livery...
two persons with gear, both panniers stuffed with clothing for 2 weeks, some stuff on the topcase, some heavy stuff in the tank-bag...
And since the ST1100 showed a really saggy, soft rear suspension, leading to mushy and wobbly cornering, and being all over the place when hitting recesses or bumps in the road, I opted for a Wilbers suspension, spring specifically designed for that 250kg/550lbs payload...
BeST decision and safety improvement ever...

Bike
VStrom 650
We've ridden all over Europe and the UK, often for hours at autoroute speeds, so 85 to 90 mph. Plus a little daft mph on the German autobahn.
Some riding has also been on the most demanding mountain passes that Europe can throw at you.
Our combined weight plus luggage must have been at least 200 KG, maybe 225, which is around 450 to 500 imp pounds.
Rear suspension was at number 5 and damping all the way in and one eighth of a turn out. Pressures were set at +1 psi front and rear on non GT tyres.
It was never an issue but the tyres will take a hit. They were always pretty destroyed by around 5 to 6 thousand miles but the later Bridgestones keep their shape better.
Oh yes, nearly forgot, ours had the ABS oem rear shock.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
tt48
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

Departing in about an hour for the journey...will post later with results.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Something going on here I should be aware off?
My wife says: if you have to ask, you shouldn't... and can't believe anyone would publicly discuss their wife, being over max weight, and live. 20 miles... just put 1 gallon of gas in, remove the saddlebags, and take the chance. You're already a dead man. :)

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom