We're Now N2 It...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I just finished setting up a system to run nitrogen in our tires. My friend Brian did some research on the subject, and convinced me that nitrogen in the tires was worth doing. (Not necessary, but worthwhile.) We have some local shops that will fill tires, but I'd prefer doing it myself for (quality and convenience issues.) A 300 cu.ft. bottle, 100 psi regulator, some fittings and hose, and we're in business. We'll give the setup its inaugural run tomorrow when we put a new PR3 on Cary's bike.

Let me know how it works. Most of the stuff I have read leans toward the negative unless your racing or something similar.
Be interested in seeing if it stops the need for topping off of tires.

Now you do know just filling you tire with nitrogen will mean about 60% will still be regular old air.. You need to extract all of the old air first. Most shops actually have a vacuum like machine to do this and sucks out all the air before filling with nitrogen

Ambient air is approximately 78% nitrogen, a bit less than 21% oxygen, and a bit less than 1% argon; this doesn't leave much room, hence the term "trace gases" for everything else.

The literature indicates that 93% nitrogen yields measurable results. Air is approximately 78% nitrogen, leaving 22% of gases we don't want in the tire. Standard atmospheric pressure is approximately 14.7 psi. Pressurizing an "empty" tire to 75 psi with industrial grade nitrogen (99.5% minimum, but typically higher) reduces the non-nitrogen component to a bit over 4%, leaving 96% nitrogen. Dumping this and repeating the process reduces the non-nitrogen component to roughly 1%. Purging once should be sufficient: twice probably gets us to the best we can hope for, as subsequent purging only reduces smaller and smaller fractions.

The nitrogen machines in tire shops are concentrators, separating nitrogen from ambient air. They don't pull a vacuum in the tire, but rather fill to a set pressure with nitrogen from the concentrator. That's why the technician checks the concentration in the tire after the set pressure is attained. They typically only fill the tire to the working psi, reducing pressure and refilling (similar to the process above) only if the concentration is less than 93%. They will tell you that 93% is all you need, which is technically correct, but I think that they avoid fully purging to extend the service life of the concentrator columns. (Seems a bit cheap to me...)

By the way: The guy at AirGas told me all their grades of nitrogen come out of the same container. For the higher grades, they purge the receiving cylinder (as above, except they have about 2500 psi to work with..) The wasted purging gas, and the analysis and documentation, accounts for the higher cost.

Yep. Not much different than seating the beads when mounting. Running up to fifty and purging a couple of times would work, too, if the 75 psi bothers you.

Last edited:
Typical beads seat at about 25 psi,,, can't see an advantage (and possibly some disadvantage) to going up to 75. 50 is within serviceable level of the tars, no sure about 75.

One real positive of the nitrogen fill, it's DRY. Less moisture inside the tar is good.

Thanks for the tire change, Roger. We put nitrogen in the new rear and the existing front and I'm looking forward to seeing how they retain the pressure. Roger has a nice set up in his garage/shop.

Cary

I agree with George on this. Most tires I have changed seat well below final running pressure. 75 seems a little extreme to me and may cause tire damage or run the risk of the tire coming off the bead.
Just worried about you Roger, don't want you to end up with a face full of tire or be running on a damaged tire.

Having read the subject line on this thread about 80 times as I skim past, gotta admit I just now go it. :D

As to using N2 in tars, since Nitrogen is a pretty high %age anyway, and DRY Nitrogen is a primary reason, and oxygen leeches out first (smaller atom), I figure refilling in AZ is adding a higher %age of DRY Nitrogen every time I top up. :D

Back
Top Bottom