Wet air cut off valve membrane

If one (and only one) air cut off valve membrane is wet from what appears to be fuel, what could be the problem? I have looked at the membrane, and it seems fine. I'll check it again with stronger light when I get access to it again though, just to be sure.

Tip for other newbies like me: when trying to remove the inner valves upper screws, spray them with carb cleaner first. I almost stripped both screws before doing this, and then they released very easily. And no, it was not one of the inner valves that where wet, it was carb number 4.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Is it wet on the outer cover side of the air cut diaphragm, or is it from the inside plunger side? Maybe both sides?

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
The only thing I can think of, is that that carb flooded badly from a stuck float and the bike was ridden anyways. I've never seen one soaked on both sides. However, I have seen them wet and deteriorating on the outer cover side, from someone else not removing the air cut diaphragms and going crazy with carburetor cleaner.

OP
OP
Flooded carb sounds right. Rebuilt them now, did not change membrane just cleaned them (with a soft rag). Runs much better now, except for a coolant leak (the bypass hose, so carbs off again). Vibration not gone, so the search continues.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Flooded carb sounds right. Rebuilt them now, did not change membrane just cleaned them (with a soft rag). Runs much better now, except for a coolant leak (the bypass hose, so carbs off again). Vibration not gone, so the search continues.
Did you sync the carbs?

Top Bottom