What did you do to / ride to with your Beemer today?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Someone can explain why the setting moon appears to the naked eye so much bigger and brighter. To my eye it dominated the picture image but can hardly be seen in here.

IMG_4049.jpeg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Non-scientific thoughts... a camera will seldom record a scene exactly as our brain sees it.
In this case, the camera lens field of view is wider than what your brain perceives, because you are / were looking specifically at the moon. The rest of the scene, while visible there in your peripheral vision, was not your "focus". The moon appeared strikingly large, through the atmosphere while low to the horizon, so your brain was "concentrating" on that.
You will notice that photos taken with a wider field of view (wide angle lens) usually has more of the photo in focus, whereas a very long focal length lens (narrower field of view) can focus on a distant object and make it appear larger, but it throws most of the rest of the photo out of focus.
With all of our technology and all of our science, we still cannot design the intricacy and wonder of our eyes and our brain.

Bike
2005 st1300
Someone can explain why the setting moon appears to the naked eye so much bigger and brighter. To my eye it dominated the picture image but can hardly be seen in here.

IMG_4049.jpeg

Its all about lens compression. Have a look at this article and keep in mind that the human eye has a focal length comparable to 50mm while the lens in a phone camera has a focal length in the area of about 15-20 mm . If you had a camera with a 500mm lens and you stepped back until the bike looked the same size as this pic, the moon would be much larger.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles

IMG_4049.jpeg
I saw it too, I was going to snap it in the truck mirror but traffic started to move. Now I wish I did because the “frame” was small maybe it would look big. I will pay attention in the future.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I skeered myself a bit today I think. I was just out about somewhere in the north of the county, I turned onto a good road and had a good feeling so I just cranked it hard from almost the start. The first time I've hit the 1250RT really hard as in full throttle. I don't recall what first and second gear were like or my shift rpm's but dang the bike was sure moving out hard and doing it quickly. I do remember looking down when the bike was really pulling hard in third gear.

Wow full throttle and letting that 2 banger wind up close to redline of 9000 will sure get you up into the powerband. In third gear I saw the tach at about 8,000 rpm and the speedo at or over 95 in what seemed like 10 seconds or less. That was good enough for me so I let off and coasted back down to 65. I can only imagine what the last three gears would have done but I give it up....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
In Road mode, and moreso in Dynamic Pro, when I'm hard on the throttle I can feel the front end lighten up.
Haven't tried to pull a wheelie yet, but I will be practicing at lofting the wheel soon as an offroad skill in rocky terrain to get over boulders or steps, and it would be handy to get over smaller fallen logs as well.
For the front-wheel-to-the-sky crowd, this 1250 motor will certainly do that.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Replaced the front Michelin Road 6 with a Road 5. I couldn't get another 6 when I ordered a set this month.

This tire went an unbelievable 21,685 miles and aside from the common heavier left side wear it wore pretty evenly across the tread.

IMG_4076.jpeg

IMG_4077.jpeg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I found it more difficult to find the correct size in Road 6's, too, while 5's were available, back when I was still putting motorcycle tires on my... motorcycle.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
In keeping with the question and the title of this thread, I rode 3 miles to the supermarket to pick a bottle of wine to take to Easter lunch tomorrow.

I wrapped it carefully to go in my newly-self-installed and janky-looking Pelican top box, but then spied the better spot:

20240330_150628.jpg

I haven't used the Aux Pockets yet, so this just seemed the right thing to do. Notice the wine is carefully camouflaged in the common, ordinary-looking plastic grocery bag.

You would never have known, had I not told you.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
In keeping with the question and the title of this thread, I rode 3 miles to the supermarket to pick a bottle of wine to take to Easter lunch tomorrow.

I wrapped it carefully to go in my newly-self-installed and janky-looking Pelican top box, but then spied the better spot:

20240330_150628.jpg

I haven't used the Aux Pockets yet, so this just seemed the right thing to do. Notice the wine is carefully camouflaged in the common, ordinary-looking plastic grocery bag.

You would never have known, had I not told you.
Didnt know you had Mosko sides as well, Mark. I know you got a 40L duffel. Nice setup.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, I found the panniers lightly used over on ADVrider... I had all my farkles bought in the 11 months waiting to go get the bike.
Just a little bit more to add...

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks, I found the panniers lightly used over on ADVrider... I had all my farkles bought in the 11 months waiting to go get the bike.
Just a little bit more to add...
I'll buy me a set when my alu cases get enough out of square that I cant close them :rofl1:

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Rode down to Brady/Llano area yesterday to look at the Bluebonnets and wild flowers. Cloudy and windy all day so didn't see them in the sunlight where they pop. Too much traffic. Easter weekend dummy. Turned around and went back home.
As a side note if you call UHaul now to rent a truck or trailer too bad. They are all on the road in Texas. Hope not all of them are moving here.
Nice little 750 mile day.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I skeered myself a bit today I think. I was just out about somewhere in the north of the county, I turned onto a good road and had a good feeling so I just cranked it hard from almost the start. The first time I've hit the 1250RT really hard as in full throttle. I don't recall what first and second gear were like or my shift rpm's but dang the bike was sure moving out hard and doing it quickly. I do remember looking down when the bike was really pulling hard in third gear.

Wow full throttle and letting that 2 banger wind up close to redline of 9000 will sure get you up into the powerband. In third gear I saw the tach at about 8,000 rpm and the speedo at or over 95 in what seemed like 10 seconds or less. That was good enough for me so I let off and coasted back down to 65. I can only imagine what the last three gears would have done but I give it up....
Yeah, a wheelie is pretty easy... but you'd have to turn down the TC... I've never done that... however, I've taken off aggressively and using the quickshifter, from 1 to 2 will lift the front... lol.. that was a little surprising at first. It's a fun little engine.

Rolled it off the trailer, scratched my head again about the rear main seal leaking, then figured out it was a good day to visit friends with family from Portalnd on the ST1100 hack. Turns out they all wanted rides even though 35 and misty was the theme for the weather again.

The longer story is a trailer trip to Kansas City, and on the second day riding the "adventurous" Garmin roads towards west Texas a new oil leak was fragrant on the catalytic converter. Hmmm. Then the clutch slipped whacking the throttle uphill at about 80. Lubbock TX was only 40 miles away. A few phone calls and the options were a Uhaul one way for a grand. Repair at the dealer in Plano was 3 grand. But turning around and easing toward my trailer was the cost of a hotel room, plus gas of course. And the joys of the finest wind protection on two wheels as I was heading into the rains that lingered in the center of our continent for about 5 days - now it's light flurries and still grey. So my wonder is did the rear main seal only leak oil because I overfilled it getting overexcited and hasty to leave, or did some extra pressure push the flimsy looking lip of that seal outward and it will continue leaking like a sieve until my mechanic disembowels the beast. (Fortunately for me, he works for free, all I have to do is feed me and put up with random bouts of swearing and manic evening sessions with the wrenches).... Time will tell. There was less leaking as the oil level lingers now in the top 3/4 of the sight glass. And the clutch never slipped again, even with a surge of 80 mph the last 20 minutes of my return to the trailer.

*update - now that it's all apart and starting to replace seals, it was not the rear main, but the input shaft bearing to the tranny that took a crap. Trying used ebay tranny. So far only failed to properly seat outer rear main seal (ordered another after wrecking it to get it out) and ordered wrong input shaft seal so that's on it's way. Yes, new clutch as well. Should be championship if it goes for a thousand miles over the summer. Try the Christmas trip again next year maybe?

Pictures of departing Minne-barely-snow-ta which is what it looks like again with a dusting of flurries before the sun comes out tomorrow. And taking a break under the shelter of a closed gas station at the Kansas border - having coffee in a very fitting place, Coffeyville.

Looks like the roads today are clear of anything frozen, so maybe time for a GS ride with heated socks. Not so much leg protection on that one. Has good agressive tires to meander down some damp gravel roads. R1150RT depart 2023.jpg

After months of wrenching, failing to properly install seals, buying more seals (did that twice), taking out the final drive to actually engage the driveshaft splines.....replacing a fog light with LED with my fingers, needlenose pliers, much groaning and moaning....well it's back on the road again! Hooray. And spring has fully come to Minnesota. Snow is nowhere in the forecast. Gravel roads are firmed up and good condition in my neighborhood. And the beemer's integrated brakes stopped me in early morning dawnlight short of charging deer faster than I've ever needed to stop before. Nice thing I bled the output circuit of the brakes before putting the tank back on.

A few pics. The beauty waiting for tow (looks like that again now but it goes! The input bearing to tranny that took a crap and the maximum state of disembowelment in the repair process. Happy trails!
20231228_104027.jpg20231231_112245.jpg20231231_112334.jpg

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If you set your goals low, you might reach them. What did I do? I got on my XR. First time in five weeks.

I tried the day before, but couldn't do it. As soon as I put my left foot on the foot peg, I realized this was a mistake. Even though the soles of those "boots" they give you with all the velcro are thick, the pain was enough to bring me up short.

So where there's a will, there's a way.

1712371535367.png

Now I have to figure out where to carry that white step stool...

Chris

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you set your goals low, you might reach them. What did I do? I got on my XR. First time in five weeks.

I tried the day before, but couldn't do it. As soon as I put my left foot on the foot peg, I realized this was a mistake. Even though the soles of those "boots" they give you with all the velcro are thick, the pain was enough to bring me up short.

So where there's a will, there's a way.

1712371535367.png

Now I have to figure out where to carry that white step stool...

Chris
Heal well.

Top Bottom