What Garmin is this?

Folks

I bought a 'new to me' ST1300 (2010 model without ABS) and see this Garmin on top of the handle bar. Could some one tell me what this is as I have never used such a GPS device? Also any advantage of holding onto this vs. the maps app on cell phone?

Thanks in advance
MR

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is not a Garmin GPS, it is only the base part of the mount with the plastic cover which is used to protect the contacts when the GPS is off the bike. Since there was no lock on the OEM mount, it is prudent to remove the GPS when you walk away from the bike at a rest stop. (I never used the plastic cover).

OP
OP
Thanks @Mellow and @SMSW for the quick responses and clarifications. I think I will get this out as it will be one less device to worry about as I carry my phone always and google maps + waze should come through fine if needed. I am assuming based on the product description that I can reuse the connection to install a usb outlet.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thing is, it's not unheard of to foul up your camera in the phone, depending on your mounting procedure.
Kim Komando warns of this with iPhone due to the constant prolonged vibration, and I noticed inability to focus on the camera of my Galaxy S22... I had it mounted on the handlebars in a RAM X-mount. A reset cured it. Now i keep it in the map window of my tank bag.
I've read stories of other riders' camera woes, too.
Your camera / phone may vary.

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Same mount I have for my Zumo 665 I believe, and I'll have to +1 on the idea of keeping a GPS VS using your phone, it looks like it's sitting still, but it's doing about 12,000 cycles per minute.

OP
OP
Interesting convo and thanks to all who have commented, I learnt something new today. I was reading more about phone issues with typical mounting mechanisms. I will decide on the vibration dampening option vs. GPS to minimize addl $ spend and one more device. Thanks all

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
While not exactly related to your question I do have an opinion on GPS vs Phone. Single failure is the issue. If you have a GPS and a phone, you would be able to survive a failure of one and still continue on route. Same could be said for paper maps (which I do not use).

My iPhone is for communication. My Zumo 665 is for directions. The two are interfaced for audio. Phone stays in the trunk.

Just my two cents.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Thanks @Mellow and @SMSW for the quick responses and clarifications. I think I will get this out as it will be one less device to worry about as I carry my phone always and google maps + waze should come through fine if needed. I am assuming based on the product description that I can reuse the connection to install a usb outlet.
I keep a Garmin GPS with me because out in the middle of nowhere my phone sometimes does not have a signal. But I prefer to use google maps when it does have a signal. I also carry a portable transceiver.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Interesting convo and thanks to all who have commented, I learnt something new today. I was reading more about phone issues with typical mounting mechanisms. I will decide on the vibration dampening option vs. GPS to minimize addl $ spend and one more device. Thanks all
Yes, you can use the power supply for the GPS for a USB port, but I cannot recommend the zumo xt highly enough. It does so much more than a phone for navigation. I have two friends who swear by the quadlock anti vibe system.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Something to think about.

Back in 2008 I got hit in slow moving traffic, he thought my lane was empty, and I had my cellphone in my tankbag. My tankbag went flying and came within a foot of being crushed by a gravel truck.
Ever since then I have chosen to keep my phone on my body and have a GPS to guide me where I need to go!
And yes, with my similar accident in 2019, my phone was in my pocket and I was able to get to it and call my boss and let him know I wouldn't be making it into the office that day!

Just some food for thought

OP
OP
Great feedback folks. I am sensing a lot of benefits of GPS which I had never thought of until now. I will look deeper into having the GPS + phone based on the learnings. Cpl questions I have re: Garmin
1. Is it free or paid? Trying to understand what is the total cost of ownership of owning the GPS
2. And typically how many years that one holds onto their GPS?

Best
MR

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Great feedback folks. I am sensing a lot of benefits of GPS which I had never thought of until now. I will look deeper into having the GPS + phone based on the learnings. Cpl questions I have re: Garmin
1. Is it free or paid? Trying to understand what is the total cost of ownership of owning the GPS

Best
MR
GPS ownership is free as long as you aren't buying extra maps. I was easily able to download a new map for my older Garmin Zumo 665, eventually they may not be able to update after so many years.
I think mine is from around 2012, and I bought it used from someone else here. It maybe isn't new enough for someone else, but good enough for me.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The link below is to the Zumo Users Forum. It replaced the older forum and is now moderated out of the UK. Lots of information there and questions about how and when and what.

My three Garmin GPS (550, 660, 665) are all operational and up to date on maps with the exception of the 550. The 550 is not unto date because they changed what labeling on the newer maps to include lower case letters and the 555 does not like that.

The only other issue, after you pick out your GPS is what software you will use to generate routes.

Zumo Users Forum

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have two old Nuvi's for cars that are still being supported by Garmin. I still download updates for them even though they are more than 10 years old and I've replaced them with more advanced units. You can hang on to old GPS's forever, and probably have 'em buried with you, in your Cadillac when you die. :rofl1:

Cost is what you pay for the unit plus any mounting hardware, though a new Zumo usually has a RAM ball connected to the mounting plate. As I said above, the XT (cost is $400 from most places though I've seen it cheaper) is great - and I can see the screen with sunglasses in bright sunlight. Mapping software - Garmin Basecamp has a learning curve but any program that saves to .gpx file format will work for you.

More reading, and I cannot recommend John Heath's writeup (see link within the thread below) highly enough.

Top Bottom