What plugs into this?

Hi All ,
Anyone know what accessory would plug into this kind of power outlet ,and what is supposed to be in the square hole above it? These sit in the right fairing pocket panelIMG_4639.jpg

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agreed, Powerlet outlet made common with BMW and spread to other applications. You can get the plug from many places online.

That square/rectangular hole usually has a snap in cover and is an inspection port. Looks like the ST1100 bike left side just in front of the knees right there.

OP
OP
St-Gerard
Ah the BMW ,"bring more wallet" that would be why I have never seen one yet. Thanks guys ,will just leave it there to plug the hole , as my right knee is in the way to use it. Now to see if the cover plate is available

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That outlet looks pretty small for a Powerlet/Hella socket.

Yes, those powerlet outlets aren't a problem, but the plugs don't last well compared to the SAE two prong cord which are way easier to find anyways. (Btw Bring More Wallet doesn't apply well to the 20 year old models. Just getting familiar with my ST, but the R1100 BMW series are very easy to fleabay used parts that work really well. And the used price tag drops down close to used ST models. From the reputation my ST won't need many used parts though.)

OP
OP
St-Gerard
Well I'm kind of loyal to Honda's ,my local parts department usually gets me stuff way quicker than I hear Bmw does, hopefully for bmw owners I'm wrong about that.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Ah the BMW ,"bring more wallet" that would be why I have never seen one yet. Thanks guys ,will just leave it there to plug the hole , as my right knee is in the way to use it. Now to see if the cover plate is available
I bought a small combination voltmeter and USB outlet that plugged into that kind of port. It was an easy way to monitor the output of the alternator and battery and simultaneously keep my phone charged when used as a GPS with the display always on.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Wow , small cover is still available from honda ,cool
Yes it is. AND you will also need item #45. Do not install #27 without it. It will blow off the bike and probably be lost. They are the same for all versions of the 1100.

Someone on this site was making some 3D printed ones. I think it was/is [U]jdmccright.[/U] Could be wrong on that.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Powerlet, hella, and din (different names for the same configuration of plugs and sockets) are made to a higher set of tolerances and specs than our cigarette lighter power outlets. I've never verified this, but I did read that somewhere - probably wikipedia or the original Powerlet website.

I prefer this system over the alternatives (SAE and cigarette lighter), but each has its uses. The SAE connection is for cord ends and works superbly for battery tenders and similar uses. I use coax cord ends for my heated gear, powerlet for their USB plug (2 usb ports) and gps (I installed a powerlet male plug on the end of the Garmin harness).

Wire management is a personal thing, and choosing the appropriate connection is an important component of achieving this.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The rectangular holes in the Pocket Fairings are for accessing the carb drain screws with a long flat-tip screwdriver. Page 5-18 in the Honda Service Manual.

The aux power socket looks to be for coax style jacks for heated clothing (e.g. Warm-n-Safe), IINM.

John

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi John, by any chance do you have or know of a link to download the service manual
No, sorry, I never archived that. Someone will be along shortly with a link for you. If you plan to work on your ST yourself I think there’s no substitute for a genuine, hard-copy Honda Service Manual. JMHO

John

Top Bottom