What tools are a must have to carry on my 1991 ST1100?

interceptor44

1991 ST1100
Recently purchased this bike...no tools came with it. Which tools are absolutely necessary right away?
Thanks.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are a number of threads discussing what tools guys here carry on their bikes. Do a search for Tool Kits and Tools in the search box, right end of the blue bar atop this page.

Basically they range from a credit card and/or cash up to a full Snap-On tool chest worth of tools. It's really up to you. Basic stuff would include a spare key (in your wallet), tire kit - compressor, tubeless tire tools and fresh gummy worms and cement, and you take it from there. Guys on bikes like yours might carry a spare fuel pump (aftermarket) and tools to replace that. Ditch your philips screwdrivers and get a set of JIS screw drivers (Japanese Industrial Standard - looks similar to a Phillips but allows more torque w/o destroying the screw head). What exactly would you want to do on the side of the road or in a parking lot while on a trip? If your battery is ageing, 4 yrs old or older, you might carry a lithium jump start battery with you or change your battery before you leave home.

Don't forget the RAN (Rider Assistance Network) list - blue band again, Riding > U.S. RAN List. Print it out. Better than any tools.

If you do regular maintenance, like changing fluids as Honda recommends, and plan ahead, you should not have maintenance issues on the road. When I say maintenance, I also include preventive maint - such as changing the tires before a trip, etc. It really depends how far you will stray from home and how often. Talk to @Uncle Phil and ask him what he will be taking on his cross country trip this June.

OP
OP
interceptor44

interceptor44

1991 ST1100
There are a number of threads discussing what tools guys here carry on their bikes. Do a search for Tool Kits and Tools in the search box, right end of the blue bar atop this page.

Basically they range from a credit card and/or cash up to a full Snap-On tool chest worth of tools. It's really up to you. Basic stuff would include a spare key (in your wallet), tire kit - compressor, tubeless tire tools and fresh gummy worms and cement, and you take it from there. Guys on bikes like yours might carry a spare fuel pump (aftermarket) and tools to replace that. Ditch your philips screwdrivers and get a set of JIS screw drivers (Japanese Industrial Standard - looks similar to a Phillips but allows more torque w/o destroying the screw head). What exactly would you want to do on the side of the road or in a parking lot while on a trip? If your battery is ageing, 4 yrs old or older, you might carry a lithium jump start battery with you or change your battery before you leave home.

Don't forget the RAN (Rider Assistance Network) list - blue band again, Riding > U.S. RAN List. Print it out. Better than any tools.

If you do regular maintenance, like changing fluids as Honda recommends, and plan ahead, you should not have maintenance issues on the road. When I say maintenance, I also include preventive maint - such as changing the tires before a trip, etc. It really depends how far you will stray from home and how often. Talk to @Uncle Phil and ask him what he will be taking on his cross country trip this June.
Very helpful...Thank You.

Bike
VStrom 650
Recently purchased this bike...no tools came with it. Which tools are absolutely necessary right away?
Thanks.
You could advertise on the wanted here for a standard tool kit, they do include certain things that are very compact and handy, plus if you're using an original shock then you'll need the c spanner.
Failing that for travelling some discount tool places will sell compact kits for use on the road.
If you buy screwdrivers make sure they are JIS type.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Which tools are absolutely necessary right away?
If it still has the OEM rear shock you'll need the hook-wrench + handle and a the slotted screwdriver for adjusting named...
Besides this I'd never needed anything from the tool kit on any of the ST's while on the road... (yeah, helped fixing other bikes with my tool-kit though...)
Additionally some needle-pliers (i.e. Leatherman or Victorinox) to pull a nail/screw from a tire and a spray to fix a flat...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I carry the original Honda tool kit that comes with the ST1100, a crescent wrench, a standard Leatherman, a multi-meter, a small air compressor, t-handles for plugging tires, tire plugs, a ratchet wrench that fits the rear caliper bolt, wire cutters, a Sealmate, M14 Cruz Tools, electrician tape, small length of 14 gauge wire, gaffer tape, a few tie wraps, and a 5mm T-handle. When you change out the two hidden fuel shelter bolts to socket headed ones and the side panel bolts with socket headed ones you can disassemble the bodywork (except for the tailpiece) with the T-handle and a screw driver. All this fits into a canvas tool bag that uses up about 1/4 of the pannier. I've had to deinstall/install the gas tank out on the side of road when the cruise control cable broke - which is some serious 'mechanicing'! :biggrin:

Uncle Phil - West 2020 Day 07

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Phil's kit is a good one. You may want to build your kit over time. One thing I do is use my kit to do maintenance, so if there is ever anything that I need to tweak on the road, I will probably have it with me! I use a tool roll that I bought at Lowes and keep it in my top box.

One trick that I've found, I bought a cheap set of Harbor Freight 1/4" drive metric sockets, and I took a piece of 1/4-20 all-thread with a wing nut on one end, then stack the 14, 12, 10 and 8mm sockets on that. Was able to run a 1/4-20 tap through the 8mm and thread it. This keeps all the sockets together in the tool roll. 1/4 hex drive bits in 4 and 5mm, and a 6-in-one screwdriver reduce the total number of items to carry.

The OEM axle wrenches are good to have! Gummy worm tire plugs/tools/glue and a small compressor are a necessity! I've plugged my own and others tires while roadside and won't leave home without them!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
OEM tool kit, extra needlenose, multi bit driver, couple clean rags, small adjustable wrench, flashlight, tire plug kit, AAA with MC coverage and a credit card.

Now that's what I carry, but I commute. Going farther afield, I would consider a compressor, possibly a spare fuel pump and some electrical repair stuff. In your case, starting with nothing I'd inventory an OEM kit and duplicate that as a good starting point.

RT

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Here's a picture of most of what is in the OEM kit The ABS bikes will come with a 5mm feeler gauge for the ABS sensors. I've added a few other box ends a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, longer 14mm T handle 5mm allen, multi allens and a test light. the T handle and the multi are in my left fairing pocket whilst the others are in a tool bag in the tail section. I have other things I carry as well but this will give you an idea what the basic tool kit consists of.

Attachments

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a note appropriate to both the ST1100 and 1300.....I use the OEM plug sockets. They differ a bit between the two bikes but will remove/replace the left side rear spark plug without removal of the cowl. Lots of aftermarket tool kits similar to Honda will suffice....but I would suggest you add this Honda tool if you go that route.

Top Bottom