What's this under my windshield???

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster!

I have had my 2003 ST1300 for about 6 years. The knock sensor melted, next replaced the old one, then I wrapped the pipes while I was in there to cut down on the heat.

I also found a couple of weird items that do not look like they belong after I took off the fairing and part of the windshield. One wire is connected to the left side, #2&4 ignition coil (Yellow-Blue). The other wire appears to be connected with the rear brake circuit (Green-Yellow). They then connect i/ terminate into a canister that is zip tied to my handlebars and some sort of vacuum tube. Most of the wires dead end at the canister.

I do not see this on any of the wiring diagrams or in the service manual. You can probably see it in the photos. Does anyone in this group have the faintest idea what this is? I want to remove it from the bike and I do not want to break anything.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmm. I'm just wondering which will be more effective. What's in your photo, or mine

1666738009686.png

It is difficult to know what the previous owner was trying to achieve, but no Honda wiring looks like that - as you have realised.

I've told the story before, but when I was younger - in the days when I knew everything that there was to know, I ran a couple of wires from the battery to the front of my BSA bantam because the headlight wiring had failed somewhere. This was a temporary makeshift solution. The twincore wire was insulated, and well capable of carrying the 6v.

It worked perfectly. Until one day when riding across Ilkley Moor, I looked down and saw smoke pouring out between my legs.

It takes a very long time to bring a BSA Bantam to a full stop from 30 mph, jump off, get it on its side stand and find something to release the seat when your position in relation to the source of the heat is as vulnerable as that. The new wire was now bare metal, glowing red/orange hot, and the charred remains of the melted insulating sleeve were still pouring out smoke. Leather gloves were the only tool I had, and it takes a very long time to wrench electric cable from a battery.

The wire had simply rubbed on the chassis and short circuited.
I learned a lot of things that day. Amps, insulation, fuses, abrasion, current, humility.

This time of year Ilkley Moor has a heather fragrance, but my senses still add the two stroke fuel oil and charred plastic every time I ride that way.

Personally, I would trace all of that wiring back to its power source and remove it. Then do what you want to do, but improve upon what the previous owner did - ie do it properly.

Or buy a box of firelighters. They are a bit more efficient. :D

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
You did not show us what's on the handlebars. Is there some kind of switch to turn a cruise control on and off? You said vacuum tube. I'm guessing that is the black cannister? @Larry Fine seemed pretty positive you have a cruise control. Maybe he can shed some light on what brand or what you might be missing? If possible, you might want to fix it and make it work.

The wiring is a beeping mess (and i'm being charitable). Fix it before you have a campfire starter on your hands.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
@Larry Fine seemed pretty positive you have a cruise control. Maybe he can shed some light on what brand or what you might be missing? If possible, you might want to fix it and make it work
It's an Audiovox or similar vacuum-operated unit. Newer ones are electronic.

Yes, I can help if you want to try to make it active, depending on having or getting any missing parts.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I’d be more worried about all those wires that are laying against the left radiator fan shroud.
the one that spins and will cut through your ignition wires etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kevslix
So you all were right, it was a cruise control. I removed it, cleaned up the wires / connection points. Now to cycle to the coolant right before the tail of the dragon this weekend! Thanks to everyone for your guidance!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have thought of wrapping the pipes. Let us know if it helps. I got rid of the stock exhaust to try and reduce the heat on my feet but I don't feel much difference.
I hear you. At least one member is playing with air duct configurations/diversions at both air outlets on the side of the engine and another member is considering getting the manifold pipes ceramic coated to try and reduce the heat. Stay tuned....

I hear you. At least one member is playing with air duct configurations/diversions at both air outlets on the side of the engine and another member is considering getting the manifold pipes ceramic coated to try and reduce the heat. Stay tuned....
I am definitely interested in the results of any effort to get rid of some of the heat. This summer when the temps were in the high 90's, it felt like the bike was trying to roast my feet. Please keep us advised with updates.

I wrapped my pipes. No help. Try Baker Air Wings. They help.
Not familiar with Baker Air Wings. Not sure I want any help from a company named Baker. That's what I'm trying to get rid of. :) Can you provide a link or more information? Thanks.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
So you all were right, it was a cruise control. I removed it, cleaned up the wires / connection points. Now to cycle to the coolant right before the tail of the dragon this weekend! Thanks to everyone for your guidance!
Should you at some point want to install a cruise control, one to consider is the McCruise. I installed one on my ST1300 before a four-corner trip this past May and June. It was a snap to install, worked perfectly and saved my right wrist from weeks of agony. No funky wiring was required.

Top Bottom