Where does this fuse block go?

Bike
ST1300A
I've bought a fuse block and I'm wondering where would be a good place to put it on my '04 ST1300?

The bike came with a GPS and heated grips directly wired to the battery. Today an eBay 2 camera DVR arrived and I've decided that a relay and fuse block would be a good idea. I've only had the bike 2 years and would appreciate some help from the collective knowledge of this forum. TIA.

The empty space under the rear platform (marked, below) makes a great place for that. Lots of people, myself included, have gone to work filling it with owner-added wiring and a fuse block. Use some heavy-duty velcro or similar fastener and you have a secure, dry place to make your connections.

20141207_135734 marked and resized.jpg

I tapped one of the wires that is switched by the stock configuration as the trigger for a relay that brings power from the battery to the fuse block, so the fuse block and all of my wiring is live only when the key is on.

Last edited:
I mounted mine just forward of the cross bar. I used short screws to mount it, but the heavy duty Velcro is a great idea.

If you can find a MCL fuse box holder, they work great under the seat. I'll post a pic of mine later.

Hi Sean:

I agree with the others - put it behind the seat, at the very rear of the bike. That's where I have put the fuse block on both my ST 1100 and ST 1300.

A couple of other suggestions for you:

1) Supply power to the fuse block from one single fuse (one of the spare fuses) on the main OEM fuse block. That way, if you have a problem in the future with any of the goodies you have added on, you can eliminate all of them from the bike's electrical system by just pulling the single fuse that supplies the auxiliary fuse block.

2) If, for some reason, you want to provide the auxiliary fuse block with more current than the 10 or 15 amp spare fuse in the OEM fuse block supplies, run a wire from the positive battery post back to the auxiliary fuse block, but put a relay at the battery end of that wire that is triggered (actuated) by the spare fuse on the OEM fuse block. If you are going to go this route (source high-current power directly off the battery post), install an in-line fuse at both ends of that wire that runs from the battery post to the auxiliary fuse block. It is not unheard of for wires run along that route to get pinched and damaged during seat removal & installation, Tupperware panel removal and installation, etc., and you want solid protection against shorts to ground on that high-current wire.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom