Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Are weights that are affixed to a wheel with tire mounted to balance it go:

- on the outer edge near the rim?

- as close to the center of the wheel as possible?

- or does it make any difference?

Shuey

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
What UP said. No tyre fitter that I've ever used has had the same saddlebag-style weights however. The flat stick-on weights have been placed on the flat surface of the rim (to get a decent surface for the adhesive) as close to the wheel centreline as possible. I'm sure the more pedantic person might split the weights in two and have half either side of the central ridge but I'm not sure it makes any difference.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thanks all. I've seen pics of the center weights that clip onto the center ridge of the wheel, but only on the OEM wheels that come with the bike.

With the first tire change, all that I've had on my wheels are the peal and stick flat 1/4 oz. weights that will bend to conform to the curvature of the wheel. This seems to be what's readily available.

That's what I needed to know, thanks again.

Shuey

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The last tire I changed, about last Thanksgiving, I used Dyna Beads. So I avoided this question entirely. The beads have been working great BTW. If you have your tires replaced at a shop they likely don't use beads so... What these other guys said. As close to the center line as possible.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Another question. Do you put all the weight opposite of the heavy spot or divide it into thirds and put weight 120 degrees either side of the heavy spot?

When I was younger my father had a Snap On static wheel balancer in his service station. It had a tool for marking the wheel into thirds for placing the weights. I think the theory was not to have two heavy spots opposite of each other and be more evenly balanced.

I have done it both ways and not had a problem either way on MC tires.

Found a pic.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Another question. Do you put all the weight opposite of the heavy spot or divide it into thirds and put weight 120 degrees either side of the heavy spot?
You put them wherever you need them get balance. Ideally with the least total weight necessary.

Splitting a lighter pair allows for fine-tuning when a single weight is too heavy; the angle varies.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I use the OEM type that clips on to the ridge, 1300. Have used stick ons too, but they make a mess of the rim. Less is more too, if one weight has an alternate heavy spot, and two makes the weights the heavy spot, I go back to one and call it good enough. A good gravity - spin balancer can be too picky, driving you nuts.

Also, I've found that the heavy spot is usually not the valve. I balance all my wheels bare, mark the heavy spot, and put the tire dot on my calculated rim heavy spot. Rarely need 1/4 ounce, if any weight doing this.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
In Theory- Stand Back! ----- balancing a wheel, the further away from center of axle you can go- the better and the lighter the weight. The closer to the center of the axle the heavier the weight needed. Its distance x weight. I use the stick on lead. never lost one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wheel balance weights come in stick on as well as clip on the rim of the wheel. Ideally, as noted above, putting the weight on the centerline (ridge) of the wheel is best, but most motorcycle wheels are not wide enough that using a rim weight will make that much of a difference. Sure a very sensitive dynamic balancer might detect a difference in balance (clip on rim vs stick on center ridge) but there will be no practical difference. How often have you balanced a wheel perfectly?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With the first tire change, all that I've had on my wheels are the peal and stick flat 1/4 oz. weights that will bend to conform to the curvature of the wheel.
I dislike the stick on weights especially here in CA with Pb weights not being allowed. They're steel I think and more are needed. They also don't stick well in my experience. Maybe using an alcohol swap might help instead of just wiping down the tire.I don't know if tire shops

I suppose 3M moulding tape could be used. They'd stick but a heat gun might be needed to remove them. Or maybe dental floss.

Top Bottom