Whicha way

Hey Folks:

Planning another trip out to the Rockies this August and have a question on any possible routes. I prefer not to miss Ouray on Rt. 550 south from Montrose but, it looks as if Rt. 149 south out of Blue Mesa Reservoir might be just as scenic. We can only do one or the other as we are continuing south to Albuquerque from there. Any thoughts?

Bob

I don't think I've ever done 149 but looks nice... go for it, I think I'll try it next time I'm in CO.

You have to do the Million Dollar Highway (US550) between Montrose and Durango. But if you have ridden that highway before, then CO149/US160 is a great alternate route.

149 south off the lake is a good road but not super curvy. Think 90 mph sweepers until you get to Lake City. Lots of open land can be seen. We used to camp at the top of Slumgullion pass at Deer Lakes and always had 20's for low morning temps in July.

There is a natural land slide going up Slumgullion pass, north side of road. The land slide created the all natural Lake San Cristobal. If you go that way be sure to check out the underground miner museum in Creede on down 149.

Good area of Colorado. You can get cooled off quick and be almost alone out there.

149 is a very nice road, goes over the continental divide and a pass but 550 is world famous for a reason. If you have never ridden 550 I would definitely ride it.

The views along 550 are unparalleled to anything else in Colorado. That said, I don't ride it anymore. It's a commercial route so expect a lot of traffic, but you'll be pulling off the road so often it shouldn't be a big deal for you. BTDT got the TShirt.

If your destination is AlbQ, I definitely recommend going through Pagosa Springs(and Wolf Creek Pass), then south on 84. And if time allows, detour thru Taos and Santa Fe. Once you're in AlbQ, there's awesome riding in the Sandia Mtns too. :thumb:

Make sure to check for road construction. cotrip.org is the official DOT website. Hwy 50 west of Blue Mesa was closed for a couple years, but looks like they're finishing things up.

Good luck!

Do both. Your coming from N.C. , get to South Fork , 149 north to Montrose and down 550. Best of both worlds and a nice loop. If you have a senior National Park pass stop at Black Canyons of the Gunnison N.P.. Very nice views and a twist canyon road down to the dam.

If you come down to ABQ via Santa Fe catch Hwy 30 out of Espanola down to Hwy 4 that spits you out just outside Bernallio. Great road through Los Alamos Lab country. Sure beats taking I 25 from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. Nothing to see in Santa Fe but traffic and Kalifornia escapees.

Back
Top Bottom