Who has the best (or loudest) BT headset, Sena or Cardo??

OP
OP
robofavo
Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
One option, not favored by all, is wired earbuds, if your output device has a headphone jack.
More smartphones are ditching it for Bluetooth, which annoys me. I haven't found earbuds that have the noise reduction that in-ear, silicone baffles do.
I have had 3 pairs of Etymotics, only because I'm rough on my gear, but I LOVE the comfort (for hours and hours of riding), the wind noise reduction, the superior sound quality.
Cheaper alternatives can be found, if you can deal with the wires.
Currently I'm using Soundcore Liberty Neo BT earbuds with my phone, and they are easily dislodged donning or doffing my helmet, they allow too much wind noise, and they fall out all the time, but not while wearing the helmet. I would rather be tethered, the old fashioned way.
I keep my old phones for music players, and because they still have the headphone port.
I looked up the Etymotics... quite the investment... thanks for your response.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you DO opt for the Ety's, just be sure to keep them secured from your cats.
They will last much longer that way, in my experience.
As I stated, I am rough on my gear. But those damn cats are DEADLY!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Getting the speakers centered over your ears, makes a big, big difference. Often, the cutouts for the speakers don’t match the location of your ears. I pulled the side padding out of the helmet, so I could put on the helmet and see where the speakers were, in relation to my ears. The cutouts in my helmet were about 1/2” off.

John

Bike
R1200rt
I have neither, as all I need is music and Waze piped in. So I use these https://www.plugfones.com/. They kill ALL the road noise, have decent fidelity, and about $50 for the basic BT model. Been using them daily for a year, flawless

RT
The pic at the site shows the wires coming straight out, do they get in the way, shouldn't they be 90 degrees coming out of your ears ??

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The pic at the site shows the wires coming straight out, do they get in the way, shouldn't they be 90 degrees coming out of your ears ??
The tips do look comfy, but I question the angle as well.
If you look at the Etymotics wired earbuds, they are at a nice angle and transition from wire to speaker / earpiece.

STOC #
I’ve found the Cardo to have much better volume than the Sena, and more comfortable to use the JBL helmet speakers than earbuds.

OP
OP
robofavo
Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
Getting the speakers centered over your ears, makes a big, big difference. Often, the cutouts for the speakers don’t match the location of your ears. I pulled the side padding out of the helmet, so I could put on the helmet and see where the speakers were, in relation to my ears. The cutouts in my helmet were about 1/2” off.

John
Yep, This will be my weekend bike chore... hoping this does the trick. I did not even think to check this detail before asking the forum!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yep, This will be my weekend bike chore... hoping this does the trick. I did not even think to check this detail before asking the forum!
I didn't either until someone told me. :thumb:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
One option, not favored by all, is wired earbuds, if your output device has a headphone jack.
More smartphones are ditching it for Bluetooth, which annoys me. I haven't found earbuds that have the noise reduction that in-ear, silicone baffles do.
I have had 3 pairs of Etymotics, only because I'm rough on my gear, but I LOVE the comfort (for hours and hours of riding), the wind noise reduction, the superior sound quality.
Cheaper alternatives can be found, if you can deal with the wires.
Currently I'm using Soundcore Liberty Neo BT earbuds with my phone, and they are easily dislodged donning or doffing my helmet, they allow too much wind noise, and they fall out all the time, but not while wearing the helmet. I would rather be tethered, the old fashioned way.
I keep my old phones for music players, and because they still have the headphone port.
Is there a noticeable difference in phone battery drain when using BT vs Jack?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have neither, as all I need is music and Waze piped in. So I use these https://www.plugfones.com/. They kill ALL the road noise, have decent fidelity, and about $50 for the basic BT model. Been using them daily for a year, flawless

RT
Any special precautions to take to keep them in place when putting your helmet on?

Am using S-plugs and they dislodge easily when pulling the helmet over them. Better luck when using a skullcap covering the ear.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
If you look at the New Basic Pro, the yellow "stalk" is smaller than the other models. The plug itself, and the wire and made of very soft pliable silicone. I work in construction/industrial environments and I'm used to wearing earplugs all day, every day. I tend to "seat" them deeper than most probably would? That said, I have had no problem with the wires, or comfort, when properly inserted. I'll also add I wear a skullcap under my helmet which probably helps a bit? These plugs have pretty good fidelity and they really kill almost all the ambient noise. Maybe too much for some, but I really like them.

RT

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just recently went with the Sena 20S EVOs and their 'upgraded' speakers.
I wear 32 DB earplugs in a HJC Flip Face Helmet (CL-MAX) all the time and play music from my MP3 players.
The volume is fine for me but I am plugged the sound directly into the headset via cord.
I don't know if that affects the volume or not.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Is there a noticeable difference in phone battery drain when using BT vs Jack?
There is "some" more battery drain using BT, simply because it's another process, using CPU cycles, but I imagine how much will vary from phone to phone.
But you do bring up another advantage of using wired earbuds -- I don't have to recharge them!
Obviously, the BT device(-s) have their own power supply that must be charged.
Also, I forgot to mention that I also wear a skullcap, always. Primarily to reduce the funk in my helmet, but it also serves to keep my earpieces in place, wired or not.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
There is "some" more battery drain using BT, simply because it's another process, using caution cycles, but I imagine how much will vary from phone to phone.
But you do bring up another advantage of using wired earbuds -- I don't have to recharge them!
Obviously, the BT device(-s) have their own power supply that must be charged.
Also, I forgot to mention that I also wear a skullcap, always. Primarily to reduce the funk in my helmet, but it also serves to keep my earpieces in place, wired or not.

The BT plugfones last a really long time. They claim 12hrs, and I believe it. I can use them 2 hrs a day for a week without charging, not normally what I do, but I have forgotten to charge....

RT

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I started with a Sena SMH10,....
I swear the sound is not as good on the 10S or loud as the SMH10.
Regardless, I ride with foam earplugs, which I really like, but does anyone have experience as to which of the newer BT communicators (either Sena or Cardo) has the best or loudest headset?
With Foam earplugs, at highway speeds, with a windscreen, I can barely hear my music - both of which I find indispensable for long trips.
I have a hearing loss, and wear hearing aids (but not on the bike). I too was wearing foam earplugs, so I wouldn't lose what hearing I have left.
But with the earplugs - combined with my hearing loss, there was no way I could consistently hear the Sena speakers.
I finally gave up on crappy helmet speakers, there's no way they can overcome both the hearing loss and the earplugs.
I now use these earbuds with a Sena SMH-20EVO:

https://www.etymotic.com/product/mk5/

I can't recommend these highly enough: Note the 35-42 dB outside noise attenuation value - this is as good, or better than, the best foam earplugs.
These earbuds REPLACE your earplugs, and also put the sound right in your ear. So you can set the Sena to a comfortable, non-distorting volume - and hear everything perfectly.
They set deeply in your ear, and don't stick out.
I never even bothered to install the helmet speakers, I use the buds all the time.

Yes, it's an extra step to put you helmet on & off, but if you wear a thin helmet liner ( I use a Buff ) the earbuds will not snag on the helmet.
Very pleased with the Sena now, be sure to check that which ever model you buy has an earphone jack.

BTW, IMHO the plug phones are crap. I bought them early on, they went in the trash. Terrible audio quality.

Good luck....

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I looked up the Etymotics... quite the investment... thanks for your response.
These are only $50, and totally worth it....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank you, @larryg
I finally feel validated.
No, I am not on commission for Etymotics, but they are better than any of the other solutions I've tried.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thank you, @larryg
I finally feel validated.
No, I am not on commission for Etymotics, but they are better than any of the other solutions I've tried.
lol, you're welcome sir. They can get pricey, but the cheaper ones work fine on the bike, and they are more durable than they look.

Top Bottom