Why a Dash Shelf?????

STOC #
Shelf

Room to mount stuff - Radar detector, XM, GPS, etc...

I took mine off just recently - That straight edge of metal aimed at my chest was starting to make me a bit uneasy. The plastic edge of the dash might be more forgiving! (Like it would matter!)

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
the shelf

I have been considering one so I can mount several switches, plus avoid the dash branding issue. Which unit do you have, and would you sell it?
Gonzo

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If I had one it would be because I really don't want to see all those pesky indicator lights.

Obviously YMMV....

Mark

STOC #
I have my XM, Passport 8500 X50, and Quest GPS mounted on mine. For us bi-focal endowed riders, this is the perfect height/ distance to have them in focas so you don't have to avert your eyes from the road for too long and you don't have to move your head.

Neil S.
p.s. IMHO there is not enough retention force of the four screws into plastic to worry me about it causing me any greater harm than contact with a car or the road.

I was going to put one on, but I think it takes a little away from the beauty of the bike. Instead, I use the mounts from MCL on top of the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Paul I am in the process of changing over from a BLM to a Buck. The Buck faSTens to the WS runners and is more STable because of that. At leaST that's what I've been told. Jeff B has a Buck, perhaps he will input his experience.
The plaSTic mounted BLM is tolerable with an electronic compass and a Passport on it but I want more rigidity for future add ons, whatever they may be. I am sure that your firmer front suspension adds some bounce to the shelf?

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Paul said:
Don't you need to cut the dash for the Buck dash. I guess that would not be a big deal. I'd like to see one first.
Yes, 2 slots in the WS cowl. That's one reason why I went with the BLM. I'll put the Buck on Sat. probably (with pix).
I juST checked the archives and Jeff has a RS shelf. How is that shelf working out Jeff?

Last edited:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
ccryder said:
Here is my latest dash layout.

Neil S.
Neil your right handlebar is almost completely naked. You're going to have to put something on that side to counterbalance the left. :D

From KJM's silence I think we've completely freek'd him out. :rolleyes:

Curt

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
dond said:
Paul I am in the process of changing over from a BLM to a Buck. The Buck faSTens to the WS runners and is more STable because of that. At leaST that's what I've been told. Jeff B has a Buck, perhaps he will input his experience.
The plaSTic mounted BLM is tolerable with an electronic compass and a Passport on it but I want more rigidity for future add ons, whatever they may be. I am sure that your firmer front suspension adds some bounce to the shelf?

Don, I'm running a Ron Smith shelf, not the Buck. The RS shelf clears the full travel of the windscreen, at least when empty unlike the Buck. You are right though there is a brace installed under the dash cowl that stiffens the structure and a couple of the plastic push rivets are replaced with 6mm screws. Seems pretty sturdy and doesn't shake alarmingly at all. The way I have it configured, all of my farkles are also clearing the shield's full travel.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
wjbertrand said:
Don, I'm running a Ron Smith shelf, not the Buck. The RS shelf clears the full travel of the windscreen, at least when empty unlike the Buck. You are right though there is a brace installed under the dash cowl that stiffens the structure and a couple of the plastic push rivets are replaced with 6mm screws. Seems pretty sturdy and doesn't shake alarmingly at all. The way I have it configured, all of my farkles are also clearing the shield's full travel.
I corrected myself Jeff...
dond said:
Yes, 2 slots in the WS cowl. That's one reason why I went with the BLM. I'll put the Buck on Sat. probably (with pix).
I juST checked the archives and Jeff has a RS shelf. How is that shelf working out Jeff? [end quote]

The Buck is advertised to allow full WS travel btw. We shall see eh?
Thanks for the input Jeff :p:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
ccryder said:
Curt:
Do you have a dash?
Check post #7 in this thread. I have the Ron Smith also. Or maybe you we're just joking but just in case...

Curt

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
dond said:
I juST checked the archives and Jeff has a RS shelf. How is that shelf working out Jeff? [end quote]

The Buck is advertised to allow full WS travel btw. We shall see eh?
Thanks for the input Jeff :p:
Sorry Don, I guess my reply came before your correction.

I'm happy with the RS shelf, a little fiddly to install, fit wise, but once mounted works well and seems rigid. The RS shelf won't work on an '03 standard unless the electric shield has been retrofitted. The under brace mounts to the e-shield rails.

They must have changed the design of the Buck, or maybe I got bad information back when I was shopping as I was informed it would not clear at the lowest WS setting.

Last edited:
Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I got off early today and mounted the BuckShelf..On the bike that is ;)

As usual I forgot to take assembly/fitting pictures:mad:

The shelf really solidifies the dash area, same as the RS I'm sure. WS down it hugs the screen tightly, probably will change the air flow some. The upper inSTrument/TS indicators area is more visible with this shelf :)

I have yet to mount the leds for the RD and my compass..
Looks good.

(WS is at the bottom of it's travel.)

Attachments

Top Bottom