Wireless and wired, weather proof charge mount cradle for phone

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Now they are designing something we can use.

61Uhn1iGh+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Haven't bought one, the other I have on my bike is working, for the moment.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I have something like that for my car vent. I wouldn't trust the clamping mechanism without a carpeted floor beneath it to catch the phone if it drops.

And the stories of smartphone cameras failing from the smartphone being exposed to handlebar vibrations, would keep me from even considering it in the first place.

Chris

• Wow
Reactions: T_C

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Now they are designing something we can use.
Looks interesting. It will be awhile until I upgrade to a phone supporting wireless charging though. I'd guess such a cradle would have to be wired to be off with ignition off or to a switch.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yes, my car one is always on, but little bigger reserve capacity there. The bike one switches with the ignition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have something like that for my car vent. I wouldn't trust the clamping mechanism without a carpeted floor beneath it to catch the phone if it drops.

And the stories of smartphone cameras failing from the smartphone being exposed to handlebar vibrations, would keep me from even considering it in the first place.

Chris
Have been using bike mounted smart phones for half dozen years and 100k+ miles. Never an issue... except for the one time I dropped the phone doing 60 on a lonely deserted Utah highway. Picked up the pieces and put it back together, still good. Few cracks in the screen, but useable. My fault, not the mounts.

Early days of portable gps units were prone to failure from getting bounced around on bikes. I killed one myself. The patch antenna design helped fix that issue. Helix ones could probably have been built sturdier, but they didn't think or know how we were going to use them.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I think the problem with the phones recently, has been the optical stabilization in the cameras. So many people use their smartphones as cameras as well as a phone. When they ruin their $1000 smartphones because of the vibration of the handlebars... Well, you get the picture.

Top Bottom