Wiring in new Volt meter and usb ports.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
20160326_155714_resized.jpg

So, I got in my meter and usb plugs and have a wire question. HOW? LOL. I hate doing electrical! So, can I just jump one over to the other pos and neg and use a double spade to run only one pos and neg wires back to the battery?

Yes and no. Do you want to be able to charge things when the key is off? If you wire that gauge straight to the battery, the display will stay on all the time, even when the key is off. Depending on what you want, you may have to wire them separate, or tie into a wire that goes on and off with the key. Do you have a wiring diagram?

If you use the quartet harness (a $15(?)) option available from Honda parts suppliers, you can have the USB port either switched (goes off w/ the ignition key) or on all the time by picking one or the other of the quick connect options of this small harness. The voltmeter will draw some tiny current if you leave it connected all the time, but yes, back to the battery is best for this. Personally, I would throw a switch in the line somewhere because I don't like the idea of adding a constant drain to the battery, no matter how small. Hopefully someone w/ practical experience will chime in and tell what the current draw (its probably a few thousandths of an amp, if that much) really is on a voltmeter attached to the bike.

Top Bottom