Would you swap alternators or engines?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Fred, wish I was closer.

Do you have John Oo's tool kit? Along with the enclosed instructions, it's invaluable. I've done several but still peruse the data sheets each time.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I did my first almost seven years ago, with no help other than the minimal kit available at that time. Went smoothly enuff and everything worked. STick then sat for three years as ReSTored got the duty for 150,000 miles. STanley (nee ReSTored) is now awaiting major surgery while STick is in Raven's hands getting more miles added. STs are not indeSTructible, but they are tuff. :D

Not to hijack, but a quick question George. Two bikes. A 91 with 70k mi. unkown engine and probably the 28 amper and crashed 99 with 35k great engine. Would you swap alternators or engines?

Re: Help with Alternator Upgrade.

Not to hijack, but a quick question George. Two bikes. A 91 with 70k mi. unkown engine and probably the 28 amper and crashed 99 with 35k great engine. Would you swap alternators or engines?

Hmmm, interesting question. I probably have more motor-swap exerience than anyone except maybe Alan Hunt, and I have another to do myself. How wrecked is the 99? If it's a standard (not ABS) virtually all the body parts from the 91 will fit including the front end. I'd be more tempted to get it back on the road first unless the frame is trashed.

To swap the alternators, ya gotta pull the swingarms from both bikes. I think I'd just swap the motors, 'specially if the 91 is an unknown entity.

Keep us poSTed on this.

What color is the '91?

Top Bottom