Zumo 550 - Conspiracy

Sorry to hear about the dead unit. From what I have read about the lifetime maps they will transfer when replacing a dead one. For instance if you do the swap with Garmin. But if you run to the local shop and buy a 660 or 665 I am not sure. You could ring them up to see what your options are. I guess I would do that if it were me.

Does anyone know if Lifetime maps can be transferred to another model ?

No, the lifetime contract is non-transferable and is only for the lifetime of the original unit unless you take advantage of the Garmin repair policy. If they replace your original unit with a refurb then the maps can be registered with the new unit.

No, the lifetime contract is non-transferable and is only for the lifetime of the original unit unless you take advantage of the Garmin repair policy. If they replace your original unit with a refurb then the maps can be registered with the new unit.

Yep, that is pretty much my understanding. You have to replace it with one from Garmin. Not simply buy a new one. It is a device lifetime not the lifetime of the owner. That is where I said to call them and see what your options are. I think you are stuck with a refurb 550. I don't think they will replace it with the 660 or 665.

I would call up and complain if I were you. The 550 does XM radio and the 660 won't ;)

The good news is that since they did the swap don't they let you keep the lifetime maps? Did you check on that? I know that is the case when they swap out to another 550.

I'm not bothered about the XM radio - I never felt the need to use it on the 550. In theory the 550 is a more expensive device. The 660 looks more fragile though. I may have to stick something to absorb a shock on the corners. But I'm well pleased anyway.

The transfer of lifetime maps was supposed to be done automatically. It wasn't, but a phone call has sorted that out.

I just need to install the new wiring onto the bike. Hmm. I wondered what I was going to do this afternoon !

Oh - and the reason they replaced it with a 660 is that they don't have any 550s left in stock ! New or old presumably.

I was joking about the XM thing. I don't think you could get a receiver big enough to get a signal. Do you have an XM equivalent in the UK that they offer on the Garmin in place of XM? Personally I don't use XM either. We had Sirius in the new car for 6 months and never found any channels that I like. We have pretty good FM here and if on a trip I have 1000 MP3s loaded.

Glad to hear about the maps transfer. Sounds like things worked out well. The only thing now is if you will like the new one. From talking to others that have made the swap there are a few things to get used to. Also some people like the larger speedometer view that the 550 has but not the 660. I think the bigger screen would be nice but for now I am happy with the 550. Maybe if it ever were to die will get a nice upgrade as well.

My guess is the process is the same to get the routes on the 660 or pretty close. You store them on the memory card and then have to import them to the GPS. I don't store new routes all that often and it always hangs me up when I do.

I think there are a few comparisons between the 550 and 66X here. The big one is stereo Bluetooth. I bought my 550 from a local member here that got the 665. He made the swap because he uses a bluetooth headset in his helmet and wanted stereo music from the MP3 player. Other than that there is the larger screen then something about being able to customize the screen layout where the 550 is more locked into what Garmin decided on. Also I think the GPS shows the posted speed limit on the road that you are on. We have another Garmin (for the cage) that has this feature but it isn't always right. The lack of a large, easier to read speed-o-meter was a comment from the guy that I bought my 550 from. It was one of the things that he missed.

I was a little confused when you said with the 550 that you would take the GPS and mount off the bike when you would leave the bike. On my 550 I thought that there was a metal plate that screws in to hold the power cord. I never take my mount off but I thought it was something like that. I assume that you use a RAM mount. They do make the locking RAM knobs. That might be an option for a little more peace of mind about the mount. I don't have one but I think it just replaces the knob on the arm of the RAM Mount. Compared to the entire GPS the mount isn't that expensive. At least that was the case with the 550 and I assume the 660 is the same. I replaced the mount once on mine to see if it addressed my phone call quality. There was no change so I have a spare mount.

22 more to go now. An award, if there is they probably call it the "You spend too much time on here and not enough time on the bike" award.

Back
Top Bottom