Zumo 595LM, iPhone and Sena SMH10R

Best of luck Skip with your quest.
Dang, I love my paper maps!
Thank you sir! I was the same way. Swore I'd never do a gps on a bike. Then I started attending our ST events further and further away and I got tired of looking down at my tankbag and trying to figure out where I was. I got the gps and I was hooked.

So i just came back from another trial run. Created a fresh route in the figure 8 style to see how it would manage crossing paths. I did set it up to hit a gas station also. Like before the magenta line is actually on the road I am traveling so that's still good. When I turned into the gas station it said something about off road. I turned off the bike and got gas and during the fill up I wondered if it was going to direct me the correct way. Which it did not. If you look at the attached pic I came from the red arrow and supposed to follow the black line but it was directing me to the blue arrow. I did follow the intended path and it corrected itself to the intended route. It verbally called out all of warnings and turns. Near the end I intentionally turned right when I should've turned left to see what would happen. There was no verbal warning that I was off the route but a popup appeared asking if I wanted to skip the next point. I chose NO and it prompted me for a u-turn (although it was way down the road I performed it at a driveway) and like before it did guide me to the next point.
All in all I'd say that the routing portion is successful and I am creating them in MyRouteApp and saving as GPX 1.0 old. Thank you John Heath for telling me that information.

For some reason though my MP3 files are not being recognized by the Zumo even though they were before. I went and added more files to the folder but when I try to access the mp3's by Apps/Media Player right there it says iphone or ipad is disconnected. If I hit the browse button I get the popup "Device Not Found". I have even removed the playlists from my iphone so they are out of the picture.

Getting close.

Attachments

• Route error.JPG
    Route error.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 11
Skip. Well done for sticking with it. Sorry I am not much use at present, but I have had 2 brilliant days riding. Yorkshire to Glencoe on almost deserted roads.

Mp3 files missing ? Or not recognised ? It is possible Zumo is picking up music from your phone.
Go to media player and click the Jack plug icon, top left corner. Make sure the source is set to MP3 rather than anything else.
I'm trying John. Believe me, I'm trying. I'll try even harder if I don't have to learn Basecamp which so far it appears that I don't.

You were correct John, my music was there but once I hit the jack plug icon and chose mp3, voila! There they were. I'll buy you a beer when we meet. There's talk of a Zumo/Basecamp event now.

Skip

You could set up a skype meeting and share video.
I don't think that would be effective. Before I retired, I trained aircraft pilots for many years, and a good part of that included training the pilots to use a very complex navigation system in the aircraft. This kind of training needs to be carried out in a "face to face" environment where the instructor can see when the students are comprehending things, and when they are getting lost.

"Distance Learning", as we called it (doing things by Skype, etc.) works for very straightforward tasks such as brake system maintenance, where there is a well-defined number of steps that have to be taken in a specific sequence. For tasks that present many branching options and/or many configuration differences, face-to-face is the only way to effectively train.

Michael

...When I turned into the gas station it said something about off road.
That's normal and understandable, the gas station forecourt is not a mapped area. In other words, it's not a road.
I turned off the bike and got gas and during the fill up I wondered if it was going to direct me the correct way. Which it did not.
That's because the device detected that you had deviated from the planned route and gone "off road" (into the gas station). It then recalculated a new method of getting you on your way towards the next waypoint in your route.

That behaviour is a known issue with all automotive navigation systems. The work-around is simple: If you deviate off-route into an area that is not mapped (for example, a shopping center parking lot), take note of which direction you should continue to go in once you finish your business and resume your travels. Disregard directions from the GPS until you are back on your planned route. The device will then recalculate again and direct you along your pre-planned route.

Near the end I intentionally turned right when I should've turned left to see what would happen. There was no verbal warning that I was off the route but a popup appeared asking if I wanted to skip the next point.
Back in the early 2000s, Garmin devices used to announce "Off-Route, Recalculating" when a user deviated from a planned route. Customer feedback convinced Garmin to change the software so that the device would silently recalculate and attempt to get the user back on track again - performing as many silent recalculations as necessary until the user regained their route. The rationale behind that decision was to avoid "nagging" the user and telling them, in effect, that they screwed up.

I chose NO and it prompted me for a u-turn (although it was way down the road I performed it at a driveway) and like before it did guide me to the next point.
The device is cautious about where it suggests you make a U-turn. It looks at things like intersecting roads, where there might be a median between roadway directions, where the driver will have a clear line of sight in both directions, etc. That is why it suggested the U-turn "way down the road".

For some reason though my MP3 files are not being recognized by the Zumo even though they were before. I went and added more files to the folder but when I try to access the mp3's by Apps/Media Player right there it says iphone or ipad is disconnected. If I hit the browse button I get the popup "Device Not Found". I have even removed the playlists from my iphone so they are out of the picture.
There are lots of different places that music can be stored: on a memory chip inserted in the device, within the device's internal memory, on a USB stick plugged into the wiring harness that comes with the device, on an iPhone or similar, etc. You need to configure the device to look for the music in the location you want it to look. This can get complex if you keep music in more than one location.

Although I am not a big music fan, I keep music in one place only: On a micro-SD card that is inserted into the GPS itself. I do this because it is super-easy to add or remove music - I just pull the little chip out, stuff the chip into my computer, and transfer the songs (and album art, etc.) onto the chip, then put it back in the GPS. I don't have to reconfigure the GPS to look for one song on my phone, another in internal memory, another on a chip, etc.

Keep plugging away, soon you will be an expert and assisting others!

Michael

Thank you sir! I was the same way. Swore I'd never do a gps on a bike. Then I started attending our ST events further and further away and I got tired of looking down at my tankbag and trying to figure out where I was. I got the gps and I was hooked.
Another advantage is as a road alert; even when you have no destination selected, the shape of the road ahead is displayed, especially if you zoom in a few steps.

I’d attend for the Zumo portion. If I have my way I will not be messing around with Basecamp.

I said the same thing when I first got my Zumo. Little things here n there make me think I may have to learn BC. Boo!

Larry Fine said:
even when you have no destination selected, the shape of the road ahead is displayed, especially if you zoom in a few steps.
I really like doing that with my 'phone but I have to have a destination plugged in. Otherwise the phone goes to sleep unless I change the prefs.

That 'look ahead' feature is another reason I might consider a GPS. If I can just turn it on and see what's what without doing anything then that's a big plus.

So today was the first opportunity I had to field test the Zumo.

Things it did well (enough):
  • Got me from Point A to Point B, sometimes also allowing me to insert Point C as an intermediate stop or as the endpoint. The routes were selected by the device, not imported from BaseCamp. (* See the "could be better" list below for more on this topic.)
  • Shone brightly enough to be visible at all times (@ST Gui I can now answer your question. Even with polarized sunglasses, looking through the internal shaded shield in my helmet, I had no problem reading the device.)
  • Selected interesting roads, when choosing "Curvy" routes.
Things I need to learn more about, or that could be improved:
  • * from above: I was initially unable to see the routes and waypoints I had sent over from BaseCamp. It was not until I had reached the end of a route and was fiddling with it over coffee that i discovered that I have to actively import routes that have been sent to the device. It seems strange to the uninitiated why this would be so, but there it is. Perhaps it has to do with the possibility that the device and BaseCamp were configured differently? Once the "aha" moment occurred and I had imported my routes and waypoints (that takes two separate actiions, by the way) I could see them all.
  • It paired via Bluetooth to my phone for Media, but immediately told me the telephone capability was disconnected. I have no idea why. And simply re-cycling the phone BT off and on doesn't change anything.
  • I have not yet succeeded in pairing it directly to my BT52 el cheapo (or whatever the Chinese equivalent is, to that term) headset. Then again, I've hardly made what could be called a serious studied attempt at it.
  • I tried to buy / subscribe to the weather alerts using the smartphone app. I got an email receipt indicating that my money had been collected but whenever I looked at the "My Account" screen it seemed to say there was no subscription. With each attempt, it would briefly flash "Subscribed" in red then revert to the $4.99 price tag.
  • A small thing, and not really important: since I wear a helmet and glasses at all times when riding I don't need the alerts that pop up starting a few miles from a state line, telling me what the helmet law is in the state I am about to enter. Need to see if there's a way to shut that off.
  • Also a small thing: it alerts for things like RR crossings, animal crossing signs, and upcoming curves. RR tracks I like; Deer Xing signs I see anyhow and don't need reinforcement on the GPS screen; the curve alert I think is quickly going to be annoying as it often cries "wolf", announcing a curve that is obvious. If it could be configured to announce only decreasing radius or very sharp blind turns they'd be onto something, but I have not discovered that setting yet. The current setting is gonna be a real PITA on the BRP and surrounding areas in two weeks.
In the end, I don't care so much about the BT interface issues. On the final leg, I just shut off the BT on the Zumo, re-connected the phone to the headset, and played music the way I have in the past. I don't need no nagging voice telling me "Turn in 400 feet", usually.

Overall I think my first day's test went acceptably well and I'd rate the Zumo as an asset rather than a liability.

Sounds like a positive start. I'll be putting mine to the test tomorrow in the N GA mountains. I've got 125 miler scheduled for tomorrow morning before the real heat rolls in.

Your alerts can be chosen in Settings/Map & Vehicle/down arrow/Audible Rider Alerts and choose what you like there.

Skip

Your alerts can be chosen in Settings/Map & Vehicle/down arrow/Audible Rider Alerts and choose what you like there.

Thanks.

Since I had failed to get the various BT audio connections made I was getting no audio at all from the Zumo, or at least not through my headset. It's also possible that I have the Zumo entirely muted. Now that I'm home I've done more screwing around and have managed to hear a phone call originated from the Zumo and played into the helmet. So that's some progress. No clue whether I'll still hear that, or repeat the sequence of magic steps, the next time I power up all three devices.

But I was getting loads (more than I wanted) of curve alerts plus those Animal Crossing alerts on the screen.

One thing I did find interesting / useful was the speed indicator; when I was exceeding the posted limit the current speed box got shaded red. Not screaming, glaring red, just enough to make the point. A refinement would be to make that configurable- only start shading at some user-defined amount beyond the limit- rather than at 1 over.

If I had the Zumo mounted on the steering stem I'd be tempted to place it so it became the speedometer. But I like it up high on the dash so that's probably not going to happen.

I am by no means an expert, but as far at the BT connections I found that if I pair the PHONE to the 595LM and the Sena to the 595LM and DO NOT pair the phone to the Sena, then the phone works fine (through the GPS) and the turn by turn and MP3 etc all work fine. Once I pair the phone to the Sena all kinds of weird stuff starts happening. This is fine as long as I don't need to listen to music or audio books or something from the phone. I have tried every combination of settings I can come up with and have never been able to make the 3 play nicely. One or the other takes precedence and I never know which will come out on top.

I am by no means an expert, but as far at the BT connections I found that if I pair the PHONE to the 595LM and the Sena to the 595LM and DO NOT pair the phone to the Sena, then the phone works fine (through the GPS) and the turn by turn and MP3 etc all work fine. Once you pair the phone to the Sena all kinds of weird stuff starts happening. This is fine as long as you don't need to listen to music or audio books or something from the phone. I have tried every combination of settings I can come up with and have never been able to make the 3 play nicely. One or the other takes precedence and you never know which will come out on top.
Correct... you don't want a headset connection to the phone AND the GPS.. You want the GPS to be your hub so to speak, everything pairs to it. Pairing the headset to 2 things - as in a phone pairing profile - will confuse things and it doesn't know what you want it to do so it probably cycles on/off. I just know it won't work that way.

Correct... you don't want a headset connection to the phone AND the GPS.. You want the GPS to be your hub so to speak, everything pairs to it. Pairing the headset to 2 things - as in a phone pairing profile - will confuse things and it doesn't know what you want it to do so it probably cycles on/off. I just know it won't work that way.

So I'm NOT a complete idiot! Good to know. So given that this is the correct sequence, do you know a way to play audio from an app on my phone? I use an app called OneDrive that plays audiobooks from my local library and I have not been able to make this work without pairing the phone to the Sena. Would my problem be a phone setting? (S9+)
(sorry for the hijack)

When pairing the phone and Sena to the GPS how does that affect communications with other Sena riders? Or does it change anything.

When pairing the phone and Sena to the GPS how does that affect communications with other Sena riders? Or does it change anything.
Shouldn't affect it at all. That uses a different channel and tech for those connections.

I may get one of these simply for the live track function.. that's not avail on the 590 and the cost of SPOT these days is ridiculous. I prefer using a gps for tracking vs cell network... for now.

Back
Top Bottom