Throttle lock or similar..

I just bought a used st1300 and Rode it home. About 160 mile shakedown cruise total. It seems to have a hard time staying at the speed limit….or somewhat close. What do you guys use to rest your wrist or when on the super slab?

I’m just returning to riding after an extended break. I want one last trip through the mountains out west from Nebraska and back and then I’m gonna hang it up. I’m 70 and my better half thinks I’m nuts. She’s usually right!!

Look up ‘Crampbuster’ as well as ‘Go Cruise’. I have both and they are helpful additions and relatively cheap vs a dedicated electronic cruise control. It’s not at all unusual to find yourself going well over the speed limit with one of these bikes- they are deceptively fast (and generally quiet) so you don’t realize how fast you’re going.

I have been using N.E.P. throttle locks for decades. They're cheap, easy to use, and inconspicuous.

They work perfectly once you adjusting the set-screw; hold well but still easy to adjust up or down.

iu

The previous owner of the 2012 I bought a couple of months ago had the Kaoka. I don't have any real experience with it yet, but on those wide open, fairly flat roads, it would seem to do the trick.

D24-0540.jpg

In standard trim, the ST1300 is very smooth and quiet, and it's very easy to unintentionally gain speed. I have some Delkevic (an Australian company, no doubt matched in the US) pipes, which are quite loud and provide a lot of feedback to the rider. Whilst the noise sweet music emitting from pipes does nothing tangible to help me manage my speed, it's something to makes me more conscious of speed any variation when riding.

I also have a wrist rest (like in Obo's pic), which provides some relief on long rides.

I use the wrist rest all the time. Less squeezing grip on the throttle and I cover the front brake with 1-2 fingers all the time. I can easily stretch out my hand and use the weight of my palm and locked wrist to keep the throttle steady if I need to.

I only use the throttle lock if I really need to shake out my hand or arm and take it temporarily off the handlebar completely.

If you told me I could only have one it would be the wrist rest without having to even think about it.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome1:

I use what some others here do: wrist rest and a passive throttle lock.

1714690542034.png
As a stopgap measure I ordered a Crampbuster thingy that looks very similar to your pic. Very inexpensive so I’m not expecting a lot or will be out much if it doesn’t work as well as hoped. Thanks!

As a stopgap measure I ordered a Crampbuster thingy that looks very similar to your pic. Very inexpensive so I’m not expecting a lot or will be out much if it doesn’t work as well as hoped. Thanks!

Multiple names and brands, but do the same thing. They come in a couple of styles - a clip over and a velcro strap attachment.

I used a cramp buster for years and really appreciated having it. I did a 6mo stint in Texas courtesy of the AF and day 2 of the ride to Texas I couldn't stand having it on the throttle. I removed it and haven't used it since. I have a GoCruise and a Kaoko and I've never been comfortable with using either for more than a few minutes to shake my hands out.

Normally I read the frequent comments here about the injuries, maladies, weaknesses, limitations and illnesses that come with growing older and think "there but for the grace of God go I", but this one I relate to.

After some saddle time my right hand goes numb, mostly in colder weather, and sometimes get a sharp pain under my right shoulder blade. So I've almost always put some type of throttle lock on all my bikes, and I've used @Obo 's wrist rest (didn't like it at all, for several reasons), the Kaoko (liked it very much) and the best in all my miles the (sadly discontinued) Throttlemeister.

I've heard likes and dislikes about all these and the ones mentioned already, which serves to remind us there is no "one-size-fits-all" for this application.

You'll find one that suits you, good luck. In my experience it will make all the difference in how many miles you can roll at one time.

The factory cruise control on my GSA, now, that's a whole other world of comfort and convenience. (Not to rub it in.)

The factory cruise control on my GSA, now, that's a whole other world of comfort and convenience. (Not to rub it in.)

Ditto for the cruise on my Wing.

Still need a wrist rest for it though unless I steal it off STella.... I thought I had a 2nd one but can't find it. May have been on Mikey when I sold him last Summer. Shrug.

Back when I was frugal (ok still am....) I did the zip tie throttle lock along with the wrist rest on Mikey. Get a large zip tie and feed it thru the "lock" part in reverse so it doesn't ziplock.

And here's Mikey....

Back
Top Bottom