Hwy 129 Tail of the Dragon Repaving

I may have to ride up there this weekend to confirm. I can't believe they would do this either. My friend, who lives in Maggie Valley said that they are paving it but he hasn't been over there yet to see for himself.

I may have to ride up there this weekend to confirm. I can't believe they would do this either. My friend, who lives in Maggie Valley said that they are paving it but he hasn't been over there yet to see for himself.
No need. It looks like when it starts they have 35 days to finish it all.

"Spread the word, and keep in mind that this will be Mon-Thurs during daytime only.

We just got word from TDOT Today:

“We held a preconstruction conference with the contractor today on the referenced [Hwy 129 Repave] project. They provided us with an estimated start date of the 1st week of May. They did mention this date is their goal but it could push out by a week or so. Right now their plan is to pave and perform necessary lane closure activities during daylight hours Mondays through Thursdays beginning in the southbound direction towards the North Carolina state line. Our contract stipulates that once the work affecting traffic begins, it must be completed within 35 calendar days. So ideally the paving will be complete sometime in mid to late June.

If you could please spread the word on your end for drivers during this time period to expect single lane closures that would be great. There will be advanced warning messages as well as officers with flashing lights to assist with the traffic control operations.”

Last edited:
They should just bank the curves :thumb:
Most are.
A long-running thread devoted to Hwy 129 on ADVrider announced the repaving weeks before it began, and some local residents update daily.
There are no centerline posts or curbs, as noted in earlier posts.

Not deals gap. I found nothing on the road repair lookup sites either. The pic is from the company that sells the dividers.

65c055d35bca691de0c14291_20231016_114121.jpg
I wouldn't be surprised if they used those lane dividers during construction. Surely they wouldn't make them permanent.

The good thing is st11ray that in a couple months we can ride the road with new pavement. I go there at least once a year so good deal. Thanks for the heads up and I will check it good before I go.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used those lane dividers during construction. Surely they wouldn't make them permanent.

Nope, they would not use something like this. The ones in the picture are bolted to the pavement. Just good old traffic cones that can be pulled up at the end of the day or when they need to move to the next paving section. There are sticks that are portable just like a traffic cone. It just depends on what the paving company likes to use.

Well hopefully the paving will be completed when we head to the BRG? I was thinking of a little mid week run. I'll probably turn around half way hopefully if I get bored. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom