RTE - Ride To Eclipse - Update: Watkins Glen, NY, NOT Cleveland, OH

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The best place I can think of to go next year is Hill Country Texas. April there has historically good chances of sunshine opposed to cloud cover and the roads are great. Wherever you go don't forget to pack some Moonpies!

This one likely the last one I could see in my lifetime but I was blessed to see totality in 2017 with Vinny and Shuey viewed from Blairsville, GA. We went to the high school in Blairsville which is on top of a mountain. The atheletic practice fields offered plenty of room to park. The football stadium was just across a narrow valley. About an hour before totality the stadium sound system came alive with the sound of the Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" which was the beginning of a long playlist of many popular songs all referring to the moon or the sun. IIRC the last song was the Beatles "Here Comes The Sun" as the last sliver of darkness faded from the image of the sun projected onto a white piece of paper. That day the stars came out in the middle of the day.

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1899.JPG

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Are you familiar with the park to which I linked in the OP, west of the red pin, on the lake at the north end of Rt. 83? It's directly under the center-line of the pathway, right where the line hits the water. See map:

1684769332108.png

I made reservations in Independence, at the Comfort Inn near Rockside Rd. and I-77. I got us two king-bed rooms for both nights for a total of $250, with my veteran's discount, whatever that was worth.

The ride between the hotel and the park is about 35 minutes each way in normal traffic. Not too close or too far. Thus we have all day Sunday to casually ride up and all day Tuesday to casually ride home.
I am not familiar with that park.
Overall though it looks like a good bet. In a far out suburb you could avoid the concentration people and traffic that I would expect in Cleveland. You could head due south to oh-10 and catch I-480 eastbound to your hotel when I suspect most traffic would be westbound. That hotel is in a good spot for getting out of town to head home.
I think you are some kind of master planner.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
In a far out suburb you could avoid the concentration people and traffic that I would expect in Cleveland. You could head due south to oh-10 and catch I-480 eastbound to your hotel when I suspect most traffic would be westbound.
We always have the option of going to an alternate viewing spot, whether due to traffic or cloudiness.

I ride with GPS and will have a printed map of the pathway with me. I don't plan on missing anything.

Are you aware of a good viewing place with higher elevation anywhere along the eclipse's pathway?

That hotel is in a good spot for getting out of town to head home.
I think you are some kind of master planner.
Thank you. I use the heck out of Google Maps and look at routes and destinations with Google Earth.

Side question: Are you familiar with Burgatory? They sound really yummy: https://burgatorybar.com/

There is one on our route, in the Cranberry Twp. It's 3:45 from our starting point, 1:45 from the hotel.

Last edited:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
@Larry Fine Buratory, no but looks very good.
Elevated viewing spot. We have some time for me to look around but I think my wife suggested the best spot. I’ll send some pictures.
On a clear day downtown, about 15 miles away from the pin, is easy to see then another 25 to the horizon which is on the lake in that direction. The view pretty much just that direction. It could be just you two standing on the side of the road.
If we are having a get together we will have food for you about 30 minutes east off US422
DB924E75-2155-40FC-9415-8B286328BBE5.png5C92BF15-9FCB-4DFC-929A-B247B6F9663A.pngA257DEFB-3CAA-45CB-AD29-052FA809AE05.png

Attachments

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Are you aware of a good viewing place with higher elevation anywhere along the eclipse's pathway?
I checked that location. Although downtown is visible roughly 8 miles away, with full foliage now, I was reminded how much of the view is blocked by trees that would narrow and obscure the view of seeing the shadow move across the land and lake.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I would like to clarify that anyone is welcome to ride along with us. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
As I said, Mansfield usually has much better weather than Cleveland, and is probably closer to you.

Frank had some good points about the clouds, but that is different than what I mean by lake effect (yes clouds but fully overcast).
I understand the difference between the general weather in the state and the local lake effect around Cleveland. I'm asking about the latter.

Actually, Mansfield is not along the center of the shadow pathway. If we're going this far, we might as well aim for closer to the center line.

Presuming the general weather is favorable, would a town farther south along the path, such as Bloomville, provide for a better viewing area?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I understand the difference between the general weather in the state and the local lake effect around Cleveland. I'm asking about the latter.
Actually, Mansfield is not along the center of the shadow pathway. If we're going this far, we might as well aim for closer to the center line.
Presuming the general weather is favorable, would a town farther south along the path, such as Bloomville, provide for a better viewing area?
Bloomville is rural, in flat farm country. The trees are usually found around the perimeter of fields, so few visual obstructions. You will be able to ride through the town in about 45 seconds - it is not exactly a booming metropolis. As to weather, I would guess emphasis on that word, guess, it's sunnier there than Cleveland or Independence. Independence is a built up suburb, you will find more restaurants and places to stay there than in Bloomville. I'd suggest you PM @OhioDeere, this area is closer to him than to me.

Bike
04 ST1300
If you want to watch in Ohio, Lima, Findlay or Sidney might be better choices. The lake effect is minimal there and about the same distance as the Cleveland area.

If you travel a little more towards southern Indianapolis you have warmer weather and totality. Recommended cities: Franklin, Richmond, ........

I am planning on being in the Franklin area.

Bike
04 ST1300
Those places are not along the center of the pathway. We're hoping to find a spot directly along the blue line.

Zoom in and look around here:
That's why Bloomville caught my eye. I'm wondering whether we should look for a hotel or motel closer than Independence to where we devise to watch from.
I was giving you some names of somewhat larger towns as a pointer to get close to the center line without heading north, closer to the lake, to avoid any lake effects. However, a distance of 5 miles away from the center line is not a deal breaker. It will reduce the time of totality by only a few seconds. You will still be able to see totality for quite a while.

Bloomville is an excellent choice as well. Right on the line.:thumb:

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Bloomville is an excellent choice as well. Right on the line.:thumb:
Exactly what I am looking for. Is getting away from the lake of real value?

That's over 90 miles from the hotel. Think we should move closer to there?

Right now, I want to make reservations near where we are likely to go.

Also, there are parks and parking lots and other off-road areas all round.

For example, the Garlo Heritage Nature Preserve just to the south.

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
My plan for that day is to enjoy an early Moonshine burger. Leave Moonshine about 11:30 head southeast somewhere between Lawrenceville, IL and Vincennes, IN along US 50 or off a road nearby. This subject to change in regards to time. Moonshine itself may be in the total path, but not on the centerline. So anywhere a bit south of Moonshine toward Vincennes would offer totality.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, it's time for an update. We may stick with these plans, or:

Our former-BMW-riding friend in PA just got a Spyder, and is hoping to join us. But, he's not up for a 6+ hour trip, so we're looking at alternatives. He really likes the Watkins Glen area, so after a few hours of looking and calling, we found a 3-bedroom, 1.5-bath cottage for less than three motel rooms anywhere.

There are several 1- and 2-bedroom units available. If you're interested in possibly joining us, call and talk to Luke. Contact me first if you have any questions. Tell him Larry and Rick sent you. It's at a place called Admiral Peabody's - Ofc: 607-535-9843, Cell: 607-857-1691; 3305 Salt Point Rd, Watkins Glen, NY 14891

So, if this works out, we'll be heading there. It's a four-hour trip, plus lunch and plenty of rest stops. We won't really know where we'll end up until a week before the eclipse, and even then, anything can happen.

Bike
04 ST1300
My plan for that day is to enjoy an early Moonshine burger. Leave Moonshine about 11:30 head southeast somewhere between Lawrenceville, IL and Vincennes, IN along US 50 or off a road nearby. This subject to change in regards to time. Moonshine itself may be in the total path, but not on the centerline. So anywhere a bit south of Moonshine toward Vincennes would offer totality.
Let's hope the temps are rideable on April 8th in the Northern IL. Hoping for temps above 60 in the morning hours.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Let's hope the temps are rideable on April 8th in the Northern IL. Hoping for temps above 60 in the morning hours.
Let's hope the weather is great for riding everywhere on the seventh through the ninth!

It looks like we're definitely going to Watkins Glen if we go anywhere. Even if Rick (Spyder, Glen Rock, PA) decides he isn't up for the trip, Alan (Goldwing, Rockville, MD) and I want to go, so we'll stick to this plan.

We're also thinking of Skeeter's Pit BBQ in Shamokin Dam for lunch. I haven't been able to make any of the ride-to-eat trips there, but I want to check it out. My comparison standard is Pierce's in Williamsburg, VA.

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
I am driving my truck with my son. I still hope it is nice and clear. Being the 20th anniversary of MLR, I am expecting all four seasons in one day.

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
We are in Chesterland and in the path of totality pretty near the center so it should be really good. If anyone is travelling and wants to stop here you are welcome for a few hours to hang out. We have a big yard and lots of driveway room. I took the day off of work. PM me if you are interested. I can't wait!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The wife and I booked a hotel in Tennessee 75 miles from the edge of totality and plan to drive that morning about 125 miles west to near center of totality. I was blessed to experience totality of the 2017 eclipse but Brenda has never seen one so Road Trip! Driving, not riding to this one. Odds are about 45% for clear skies over Poplar Bluff, MO.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Quick little update: So far, the weather is looking iffy, and the motel has a one-week cancellation, so, unless the owner is willing to give us a bit of leeway, we have to decide in two or three days.

So, we're trying to decide whether to keep or cancel the reservations in Watkins Glen. We do have a couple of back-up reservations in Painted Post with more liberal cancellation time just in case.

Top Bottom