RTE - Ride To Eclipse - Update: Watkins Glen, NY, NOT Cleveland, OH

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I'm in Columbus, and totality is only about 20 minutes away.

That said, I took the day off and am about to ride or drive wherever I have to so there's minimal cloud cover. If it's Texas it's Texas. God I hope it's not Texas.

Bike
2010 ST1300
We do have a couple of back-up reservations in Painted Post with more liberal cancellation time just in case.
Painted Post is a very nice little town, and there is a good restaurant walking distance from the downtown memorial. A plaque describes where the name comes from. And of course, Elmira is a few minutes away and you can go for a glider ride or take in the Soaring Museum. Woodlawn Cemetery (and the National Woodlawn Cemetery) is there, too. Corning and the Corning Glass Museum is a short jog eastward. The whole area is very nice. I hope you get good weather in your chosen locals.

BTW, our club president (who is connected to law enforcement) said some police chiefs are expecting a cluster ******* of traffic jams with over a million people descending on Cleveland. G et to where you want to be EARLY.

A news headline describing the expected crowds in Aroostook County, ME, read, "Where are 20,000 people going to pee?" My answer would be this will not present a problem - most of those folks are going to get lost on the small roads up there anyway.

Edit, I just had some thoughts about the path of totality and PP/Elmira is not in the path. I assume you will be riding north from your motel to view the eclipse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Edit, I just had some thoughts about the path of totality and PP/Elmira is not in the path. I assume you will be riding north from your motel to view the eclipse.
Yes, presuming we survive the ride up on Sunday, and knowing we have to survive the ride back home on Tuesday, we have to wait and see how we feel Monday morning.

We plan on riding north on rt. 14 to Sodus Point, and perhaps west toward Rochester to Sandbar Park and/or the Irondequoit Bay bridge, which should be closed to traffic.

With the bridge closed, Lake Rd. is effectively a dead end. I'm hoping there won't be a lot of traffic in the area. We should get there early in case we're not the only ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Weather update. :pray1:

So far, the forecast has slowly been improving in all concerned areas, from Richmond to Glen Rock to Watkins Glen to the places along Lake Ontario.

Sunday morning leaving Glen Rock will be mostly sunny, but rather cool, only 4% chance of rain, with a high of around 50 by the time we get to Watkins Glen.

With four hours of travel time, three or four rest stops, plus lunch, we should get there within six hours. So, if we hit the road by 10am, we should arrive by 4pm.

Eclipse day in Watkins Glen calls for party cloudy, with a high of 57, though 52 but mostly sunny in Sodus Point, 6% chance of rain, 54 and 5% in Rochester.

Tuesday is even warmer, 65 degrees and 10% when we leave Watkins Glen, with 69 and 9% back in Glen Rock. Of course, I'll have to drive home, probably on Wednesday.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wouldn't you know it, Friday, 7 Ap is going to be sunny, and Saturday, 8 Ap will have 50 - 60% cloud cover (weatherunderground.com).

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, it's Saturday morning. The weather looks nice, although it's chilly. I'm just debating whether to load the bike and little trailer on the big (it's so much work) trailer or just go ahead and ride up with the little trailer.

The weather is supposed to be really nice by Tuesday, when it will be time to come home. That's the main reason I'm considering riding the whole way. I should be less worn ragged than after a STOC weekend.

Top Bottom