Article [13] ST1300 - Pulls to the Right

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Easy enuff to duplicate the shim, what's the gauge? I'm gonna be in to lipSTick to do some 'nother stuff, easy enuff to add a spacer even without doing all the measurements. It pulls right, add a little and see if it straightens up. If it pulls left, added too much. :D

I recall an article in either Cycle or Cycle World several years ago. TruTrax (or whatever the name of the frame straightening company in Cali) said virtually every stock bike is off a little.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
George, give the front tire technique a try first.. you never know, it might be enough to correct the issue and worth it if it does.

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
And it is true, all motorcycles are off to some degree. The swingarms I've checked vary wildly including only one that I would deem acceptable. This is why some wobble and some do not. The wheel alignment is one variable in the equation.
Any ideas as to how one would check the ST1300 or just alignment in general?

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
If you have a problem it's worth a shot.
Just called.............

$200 to run it......

$350 to run it and perform a full diagnostic to see what it may need.......

If you'll excuse me....my wallet just yelped like a beaten dog and is now cowering in the corner.....hopefully I can coax it out with a dollar bill or two.....

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
George, give the front tire technique a try first.. you never know, it might be enough to correct the issue and worth it if it does.
Using the 1300 tightening technique on my 2001 1100 ABS today. I'll report back later.

Thanks, Adam, for researching this.

(BTW, the 1100 manual has no "steps" for reinstall, just "installation is reverse order." I've always pumped up the brakes and tightened the left side clamp bolts last.)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
(BTW, the 1100 manual has no "steps" for reinstall, just "installation is reverse order." I've always pumped up the brakes and tightened the left side clamp bolts last.)
Why would you put the rear tire on the front? Those Honda Techs... such comedians..

Bike
09 ST1300
Pulling to Right

Hi all. Not that everyone wants to hear yet another case of an ST pulling to right.
I am kinda stumped by this - bike is fairly new (10 000 kms) and I have noticed the pull to right, especially at slower speeds. I've tried the special set up sequence for torquing the front axle/pinch bolts, but it has changed nothing. Is there a "trick" that someone knows to solve this? I'm truly greatful for any experiences and insight.:bow1:

Thanks,
Geoff

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I was never able to completely solve my right pull. The only decrease I was able to achieve was changing to the Michelin PR2's.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Re: Pulling to Right

Discussed at length in this thread: CLICKY

(This thread will be merged with that one.)

--Mark

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Try it...nothing to loose. Someone back a while ago someone ( in thread) did the math and stated the ST was designed off-balanced. I started way back then always putting all my tools, gear in the left. Don't know if it really makes a diff, but some have said so.

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
I do know that that there is an adjustment when installing the axle for the left break calipers. Since the left fork sort of floats on the axle is can be out of position and cause a drag on the break. In addition to the adjustments here I will usually ride the bike around the block applying the break a little before tightening the bolts. But in addition to this I always have more tire wear on the left side of the front tire. Most st riders I have talked to did not know this. But if you closely look at any ST's front tire you will see the left side is worn more then the right. I think this is due to the torque of a V4 mounted with the crank rotation on the same axis as the bike. If you sit on your bike and rev it you will feel it lean to the right due to the V4 torque. So I think perhaps as speed there is some drifting to the right that is natural due to the torque lean? This would then cause unknown compensation which could cause added wear to the left of the front. I don't know but I bet if you look closely at your front tire you will see the left side is worn more then the right?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
look closely at your front tire you will see the left side is worn more then the right?
I always thought the higher wear on the left side was due to the fact we ride on the right side and most roads are crowned from the center( rain run-off)....your always correcting slightly for the road surface

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
STOC #
I always thought the higher wear on the left side was due to the fact we ride on the right side and most roads are crowned from the center( rain run-off)....your always correcting slightly for the road surface
Here in Australia we ride on the correct side of the road, so when I next see another ST I'll check the tyre theory out. It's pointless looking at mine as I had new tyres fitted recently and I don't think there'd be any indication one way or the other.

I'm refering to tyre wear by the way not pulling to the right. Mine pulls right also and so does the work ST1300 (I can't check any of the work bikes out for tyre wear as I'm on sick leave at the moment).

I'll post whatever I find.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Tks Dave... my St has no pull at all. It runs straight and true, also no wobble ...running 020Fs and I see slightly more wear/cupping on the left after about 8k miles ( tire good for 14k or so).

BTW, I load all my heavy gear in the left bag! :)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
BTW, I load all my heavy gear in the left bag! :)
Ditto. The bike is not evenly balanced (CG is slightly right of centerline of tires) and placing weight in the left bag moves the CG to be more above centerline of tires.

Part of the reason for more tire wear on the left, at least in this part of the country, is that one can see further through left hand curves than rights, and lefts are slightly larger curve radius, therefore more speed and lean is maintained in left hand curves.

Top Bottom