Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

v8-7

Site Supporter
do you mean wrapping the wire around the upper portion of the screw thread?

Yes, but we used a U shaped connector on the end of the wire .
So where the U shaped connector was pressed against the frame, it was against shiny metal and not a painter surface.
Grinding the paint off is probably not needed as the current will flow through the screw into the frame , but it does give more surface area of contact.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Worse case scenario, the plastic's gonna melt right? - just don't want to start any pan-fires!
Probably not going to melt, more likely drown. The photos appear to show the relay mounted with the terminals pointing upward, if this is indeed the case then you should expect results along these lines.

Easy fix, just rotate the relay so the terminals are pointed downward, allowing water to run out, rather than fill the relay shell.

ST9

Got it, re the boss mount,

I'll reverse that relay!

Thanks again

Ride safe

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
I posted that I had a relay failure and was to abandon my Stebel. Well I repaired the relay and I'm sure glad I did. We were in N. W. Virginia headed for Collinsville. A large buck crossed first with two right behind, I set down on the Stebel and got a positive response from thr deer. They did not cross in front of us.
--Garry--

Mellow - Unless i am not seeing something this is a thread about ST1300 install not an article---do you have anything describing ST1100 install? thanx man

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Hi,
followed this thread when fitting my stebel (bad boy copy actually but same thing) to my Pan 1300, problem is I had already fitted the honda speaker box's for my radio, I managed to get the unit in the same position as the original horn, took a bit of work and brave decision making with a craft knife, but it is possible!

Deleted member 1854

Re: Stebel Horn Install

It appears there's enough room to mount this Stebel horn in any number of locations in the near vicinity, as demonstrated by the bracket made by one Forum member, and the before/after of having this small block extension in or not - https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6133&d=1136764323

As I have the Dick Seng brackets for my PIAA910 lights mounted to the suggested locations (same as having speakers in place), I will look to drop the horn down an inch or so. Anyone predict any issues with this?

Also, the sellers mentioned a few years ago when this thread was started are all out of stock or no longer list this "2137" horn. One location I found at a reasonable price was: http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html except it is horn/part number "3837". It looks the same....? Comment?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
For the ST1300, you can also install the Stebel on the left side in the same location. At one point I had two installed (one on the right, one on the left). It didn't seem to make any more noise. I removed the second one after my alternator failed when using my electrics and I hit the horns.:toot1::toot1: :eek::

Deleted member 1854

Re: Stebel Horn Install

As I have the Dick Seng brackets for my PIAA910 lights mounted to the suggested locations (same as having speakers in place), I will look to drop the horn down an inch or so. Anyone predict any issues with this?
Here's the pics of the location showing the PIAA/Seng mounts bolt in place where the Stebel horn is also to be mounted. There looks to be plenty of room to hang the horn in here as well. Anyone have similar can confirm before I purchase?

Also, does anyone know the purpose of the yellow terminal block that is tucked up behind here? As it has mainly green wires terminating at it.

Attachments

Deleted member 1854

My Stebel is in and WOW! It is amazing - couldn't ask for better/louder!

I couldn't mount it high up under the speaker area as I have a Seng light bracket in the way (for the PIAAs). The bracket uses the 2 bolt locations suggested for the Stebel. So rather than try to split the horn into 2 pieces (as suggested earlier) or to mount it on the left side of the bike, I decided to try to get it lower on the right side close to where the OEM horn sits.

Mounting the Stebel lower on the RHS allows its air outlets to sit directly adjacent to the slots of the inner cowl where the OEM horn sits - meaning the sound escapes beautifully from the enclosure of the fairings. To do this I first removed the OEM horn together with its mounting bracket.

This leaves the tubular subframe extension with a single bolt hole in its flattened end. I then used vice grips to crush/flatten another 30 or 40mm of this tube, allowing me to bend it up at a right-angle to take a bolt through the Stebel's mounting point. The trick is to end up with just the right length for bolting the horn the bracket.

I cut the small locating tab off the end of the bracket (and filed it clean), then drilled another hole closer to the end of this bracket (between the existing hole and the end - so no excess bracket is sticking out past the side of the horn). A bit of black spray paint to touch it up, then bolt it all in place and attach the wiring. This first pic shows this and how I used a vertical bolt rather than the larger horizontal bolt that came with the horn:

These two pics give a better overall view. Note the separate heavy gauge power (red) and ground (black) to the relay. The power wire to the relay feeds directly from the battery with a 20amp fuse located at the battery end.

As can be seen above, it is pretty crowded inside this left-side fairing, but I was reasonably confident the fairings would all slot back into place without any real problems - and they did :) I used to have twin FIAMM "highway blaster" horns located in the same spot as the Stebel, and it took quite a bit of fiddling with the brackets to get them to fit in the space, but in the end it was okay and this Stebel horn is certainly no bigger. All went back together well.

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
STOC #
John-DownUnder,

I'm the same as you and didn't want my Stebel under the speaker area as I am planning on fitting speakers there.

I tried several places but once mounted I wasn't happy with it or I couldn't get the Tupperware back on properly :confused:. I searched the forums any eventually came across yours. Looked good, gave it a go......................... THANK YOU:run1:...........THANK YOU.:run1:..........THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!:run1:

Works fantastic, everything fits back together properly and I haven't got any screws left over. Your pictures and instructions were 'spot on' and made the process expletive free.

Thanks again and well done. If I'm ever over your way, or vice-versa, I owe you a drink........... No, make that several drinks.

Regards,

Dave R

Deleted member 1854

everything fits back together properly and I haven't got any screws left over.
Whew Dave! :toot1:

I was a bit worried when I started bending the crushed tubing up at right-angles (hoping it wouldn't snap) to take the mounting bolt, and now you sound like it wasn't just a coincidence the first time that it all fell into place. Maybe in 2 or 3 years catherine and I want to ship my ST to your west coast and do 5 or 6 weeks riding there. Otherwise you're welcome here if ever you're over this way (plenty of beds). Cheers

Bike
st1300
i have a stebel aswell but didnt drill, i used big tyribs to mount the horn. (at the same place) be sure in holland we do have some rain, so cover the relais with a small plastic bag. The relais is the weakest part of the horn. The pictures are great and if you order a stebel you can also order an installationpacket to get along. 129 DB is serious!!:)

Top Bottom