Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
Re: ST1300-Stebel Horn Install

If the relay is mounted "Pins down" they are less likely to get water in them. BTW, Bikerhiway is the best place to get the Stebel, in stock and Price with shipping. willy

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300

Okay. Sorted. If an idiot like me can do this then anyone should be able to. Thanks, guys.

The HID ballast 'bomb' was an issue but I dismantled it and turned it about so the Stebel JUST squeezed in. The relay is mounted with the former horn's bolt and the old wires wouldn't allow a down facing peg position but I can tweak that later if needed. My drill was dim but melted it's way through and I received the now traditional finger burn from a new spot on the bike.

On reattaching the mirror I needed to swap the (already replaced) bolts so as not to pierce the horn and the mirror cover retaining link was a bit of a jam to reinsert. Other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Now to go clear me some Tarmac!! :D

Images: Kit, squeezing against the HID ballast "bomb", and showing minimal front cowl movement.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300

So, is it as loud as you expected? :D
Yes! I've watched / listened to the forum Stebel video and read most if not all action accounts so had a fair expectation. There's nothing like tooting with the plastic off thinking it will sound muffled when dressed only to toot on completion of the job and still feel the strength of the thing.

The acid test will come soon, I'm sure. For now I'm glad I wear ear plugs. Oh, and the children (being more scientific about these things) want us to Toot from 2 known points on my return from work tonight - to see how far the sound carries :)

It's a mile away from the squirrel's fart of the OEM. that's for sure!

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300

Scientific test complete:

Children and Wife; "it sounds like Noddy's car".

Self assessment (10m away - button pressed by a 6-year-old on Coke); it's okay. 'Loud enough. (Stop pressing it now - I said let go!!!)

Cage (making a minor infraction); stopped making said infraction - rather quickly!​

:D

BTW not listed at CASportturing. I know it used to be there.

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html has them for $37.00 Like the name they use "Ear Cannon".

I am just now installing the horn. Thinking I shouldn't put in the relay that comes with the horn. What has everyone's latest experience been with this relay?

I have the Aerostich suit from there so they carry a bunch of fun stuff for bikes and bike touring.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

What is the amperage on the supplied relay? but if your not comfortable using it just replace it with a std 30 amp relay,,that's what I did, went right to the battery so I could get full voltage and HONK

Bike
St 1300 2006

Installed a Wolo horn today with the directions about the Stebel horn install. I ordered the EB up front relay kit. The whole install was pretty easy just take your time. Very loud horn! Thanks to this forum made the job real nice!

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300

Thanks for taking the time to document this install !:clap2::toot1::yr1::bow1:

Bike
Honda ST1300
Does anybody know of an alternate locations to install the horn? I have speaker boxes installed and they use the exact hole and location that this article describes.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Bike
Honda ST1300
I chose to mount my Stebel horn on a tab that I welded to the front fairing stay.

Here's the photo.
Stebel & New Bracket 002.jpg

Here's the tab drawing.

Thanks for the idea. I am taking my bike over on Monday to have my new HIDs installed and the horn as well. I am going to take them this drawing and image.

Bike
2005 ST1300
While apart for a cruise control install, I figured there wasn't a better time to throw on the Stebel, too. Fits like a glove, and works GREAT! Highly impresses with the new loudness, too! This is a Must Have! Thanks to all for the guidance!!

ST9

Just installed...and it's a blast! Thanks for the write ups.

I finished as night fell and having not replaced the cowl I could see the red relay sparking every time the horn was depressed. But's it's not just a little old spark. it's one hell of a discharge and a bit disconcerting. Is this normal?

All connecting wires I used were 12 gauge and the ground was fed back to the battery because I'm unsure about where or how to ground the negative lead to the frame.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
red relay sparking every time the horn was depressed
Sparking??? As in, electrical sparks? As in, a short circuit?

Well, no this is not normal.

Rather than second guess the situation (as described) how about a photo showing the relay and the spark area. Do you have a diagram of the wiring you've installed?

ST9

Electrical sparks, yes. Across the contacts WITHIN the relay. I couldn't say which contacts though. I've attached pics of the relay, if that makes any difference.

Again, i installed as per instructions: relay #85/86 to original horn terminals; '+' ve, fused wire to relay #30, then back out from relay #87 into '+' ve Stebel. '-' ve Stebel to '-' ve of battery.

Attachments

v8-7

Site Supporter
If what you're describing is "arcing" and you not throwing sparks your ok.

It's a ~20 amp surge across the relay contacts .

ST9

So am i right in thinking that if +ve from battery is fused at 20A, it's impossible to have 'excessive' arcing?

How and where would i ground to the frame (and avoid the negative wire all the way back to the battery)?

Thanks

v8-7

Site Supporter
When I helped Chance put his on, we grounded it where the old horn was mounted.
We cleaned the paint off where the screw goes in with a small angle grinder to make a solid contact , then
used that screw boss to mount the relay and attach the ground at the same point.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
So am i right in thinking that if +ve from battery is fused at 20A, it's impossible to have 'excessive' arcing?

How and where would i ground to the frame (and avoid the negative wire all the way back to the battery)?

Thanks
You're seeing arcing IN the relay? Does it continue as long as the horn button is pressed or just a flash as it's opening or closing?

The fuse wouldn't really do much in the way of limiting arcing across the internal relay contacts or motor brushes. It would protect from excessive current draw. If you see a brief flash thru the transucent relay case its probably ok.

If you see a brief flash with the realy opens or close where the arrow is that would be normal. Aprox centered on one side of the cap at the end away from the terminals.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST9

By 'boss mount' do you mean wrapping the wire around the upper portion of the screw thread?

Yes, it's in the relay and it's a brief, but large, flash and crack - only when depressing the horn.

i think you may be right with regards the positioning at the arrow above.

Worse case scenario, the plastic's gonna melt right? - just don't want to start any pan-fires!

Top Bottom