New Brunswick will keep its boundaries closed this summer.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Listening the news tonight, CBC ( our national information network) reported that the province of New-Brunswick, will keep it's boundaries closed for tourist all summer.

Wow !

That is very surprising and unexpected, since new brunswick is currently not much affected by coronavirus (no death so far, and currently only two active cases)
BUT... they want to keep it like this.

The tourist industry is of great importance for the economy of the maritimes provinces and the boundaries where expected to be reopened for summer.

Since it is a very touristic place... what we can understand, is that, eventough they are not much affected now, they don't want the mass of tourist to show up this summer.

Last edited:
So, Provinces can deny Canadians from other provinces from entering? Can Quebec turn away non-French speaking people?

There are no checkpoints on the roads entering N.B. so I wonder if it will be enforced or is it more of a strong suggestion.

Unfortunately, if travelling by land, that also stops any travel to and from Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland as well, so it affects 4 provinces.

I believe there are conditions allowing travelers passing thru, as well as some workers who work/live in different provinces, transportation, and some Quebec residents who's nearest grocery stores are in NB, as well as traveling for medical appointments.

Here's the current travel notice:

Everyone entering New Brunswick at any point of entry, including airports, must stop when instructed to do so by a peace officer and answer any questions as required to support the intent of the requirements of the Chief Medical Officer of Health. Travellers who will be remaining in the province must then self-isolate for 14 days and conduct themselves in accordance with the requirements of the Chief Medical Officer of Health.All unnecessary travel into New Brunswick is prohibited, and peace officers are authorized to turn anyone away when they attempt to enter. Some travel is necessary, including residents of other provinces who must enter New Brunswick to work or to receive medical treatment. Necessary travel also includes travel required to facilitate children sharing their time between parents. New Brunswick residents who have been out of province temporarily continue to be permitted to return home. Unnecessary travel includes non-residents of New Brunswick entering New Brunswick to make or receive purchases or to visit or for other social purposes. No temporary foreign workers are permitted to enter New Brunswick. This does not affect the status of any temporary foreign worker lawfully in New Brunswick as of April 30. Travellers looking for more information can call 1-844-462-8387 on Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.For the latest information visit: www.gnb.ca/coronavirus

There are no checkpoints on the roads entering N.B. so I wonder if it will be enforced or is it more of a strong suggestion.

I beleive the RCMP and NB Forest Rangers are running the checkpoints between Quebec, PEI & Nova Scotia and Cdn Border Services are handing the ones with Maine. I haven't been able to drive anywhere to see it in person though :)

They've also stopped all out of province workers from coming to assist with agriculture and some construction etc. This will severely impact farmers and the like as they need that hired help a certain times of the growing season. The "no foreign workers" refers to any non New Brunswicker and not just to folks who are not Canadians.

So, Provinces can deny Canadians from other provinces from entering? Can Quebec turn away non-French speaking people?

NB & PEI's borders are closed. NS are under checkpoints but the forest rangers do not have authority to deny anyone entry.

So, will New Brunswickers who have been out of the province for work have to self quarantine for 14 days every time they come back home?

So, will New Brunswickers who have been out of the province for work have to self quarantine for 14 days every time they come back home?

I'm guessing yes. Causes an issue if you live alone unless you can get your groceries delivered :)

I live in NS. Yep the boarder is closed to all non essential traffic for a bit longer. If someone has to enter they are required to isolate for 14 days. They even make visits to ensure you are where u say u are .

I guess the Cabot trail will get some runs this year, but no motels for now.

Reactions: Obo
I live in NS. Yep the boarder is closed to all non essential traffic for a bit longer. If someone has to enter they are required to isolate for 14 days. They even make visits to ensure you are where u say u are .

I guess the Cabot trail will get some runs this year, but no motels for now.

I was hoping to that this year along with the Advocate run in lieu of Laconia. Seems I won't be doing either.

Back
Top Bottom