I just don't get it... if it's this ugly, is it attractive?

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Remember, BMW started out as a manufacturer of aircraft engines, and their logo is intended to resemble a spinning propeller. In the '30s BMW pioneered the use of fairings particularly for sidecar racing. Full dustbin fairings are still used today and is one of their legacies. I can easily picture this having been found in some engineer's notebook dating from that era, and like dduelin said "they will sell every one because it’s a very small production run", but not to me. I prefer my ST.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm a big fan of art deco so that looks kind of cool to me. It does remind me of a take on the Bat-Cycle but that was post '30s IIRC. But sure– a vintage take on the futuristic. The turning radius must be pretty poor unless the fairing moves too.

There were some pretty interesting designs back in the 30s-40s that defied cookie cutter car shapes. It's a shame that it was lost as well as the ability to appreciate it. There are many great looking cars and bikes today but sooooo many others look like every other.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Imagine trying to get the bugs off the front of that :think1:,
:doh1:, just a MO, I thought someone might ride it :crackup:.
If they did make it, some bozo would buy it :biggrin:. Its a Beemer, it's gotta be good :scared2:.
Upt'North.
Is the cheese that comes with it weird too?

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's a limited edition for a reason.

Since you can never underestimate the lack of taste of the American public, they will probably sell every one they make.

Let's face it, this is NOT a BMW forum.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I guess if you want to be seen, this will certainly do it. Too much form over function these days for me... guess I'm getting old (59). Being an "older" engineer doesn't help, at all.

1611246866477.png
It looks like they copied Bad Chad's motorcycle from the discovery channel who was commissioned to make an Art Decco themed motorcycle. He built the bike to resemble an old train front end. I enjoy motorcycles and art. When I look at something like these two motorcycles, I appreciate all the work that went into these and the skill of the metal fabricators. Getting those kind of bends out of a sheet of metal using an English Wheel and body hammers just amazes me. Chad used old fenders off a 30"s car to form the front end. Bad Chad.jpgbad chad 2.jpg

Bike
ST1100AY
I guess if you want to be seen, this will certainly do it.
This was very interesting for me, the "before me" would have certainly gone Aaaaaarghhh but the "new me" is being mesmorised by the smooth flowing lines ! I think we will be seeing some of these in the Middle East, it is the sort of flambouyant style that is in vogue here at the moment. Now if it had air conditoning under that front end that would be perfect !

Top Bottom