I just don't get it... if it's this ugly, is it attractive?

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ugly orbit it is very BMW ... the classic lines, pin stripes, black glossy paint and even twin kidneys are 100 percent beemer.

any engineer should see that :)
Oh I see it, just don't see any value in it. ;)

Remember, BMW started out as a manufacturer of aircraft engines, and their logo is intended to resemble a spinning propeller. In the '30s BMW pioneered the use of fairings particularly for sidecar racing. Full dustbin fairings are still used today and is one of their legacies. I can easily picture this having been found in some engineer's notebook dating from that era, and like dduelin said "they will sell every one because it’s a very small production run", but not to me. I prefer my ST.
Actually no, the center of the BMW logo is the stylized white and blue diamond of Bavaria, the ring is the rest of the Rapp engine factory logo out of which BMW emerged, and the company is still in the hands of the Quandt family, who were related by marriage to Josef Göbbels.
And now you know the rest of the story.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
ZACKLEY!

That old saw about the spinning propellor is everywhere, but just have a look at the flag of Bavaria and you'll see why the company named Bayerische Motoren Werk GmbH (Bavarian Engine Factory Co.) uses that blue and white checkerboard logo.
1611426752087.png

ZACKLEY!

That old saw about the spinning propellor is everywhere, but just have a look at the flag of Bavaria and you'll see why the company named Bayerische Motoren Werk GmbH (Bavarian Engine Factory Co.) uses that blue and white checkerboard logo.
1611426752087.png
One ethnic titbit for you. If you don´t wish to invoke the wrath of the Bavarians, never, ever call it blue and white, it´s white and blue, mix up the colours and you make Bavarians very cross. The "Wecke" was first noted as the colours of the Count von Bogen in the 1100´s and is thought to represent white clouds and blue sky over Bavaria. The Von Bogen line became extinct in 1242 and the white and blue "Raute" was adopted into the house of Wittelsbach.
Another little nugget of information is that the flag shown above is not the official flag of Bavaria and using it can result in a citation for disorderly conduct, it would be like flying the Stars and Stripes with an eagle in the middle....

You have been warned...

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I looked at it again...( I couldn't help myself ) Is that a hard tail????? Please say no.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
That beemer in the original post is indeed homely, IMO.

How could a company that designed and built this:

1983_R100RS-RH-front_dual.jpg

....also design and build this?

1611246866477.png

"New and different" does not always mean "better".

Sometimes, "new and different" is simply...."ugly and undesirable".
Drugs, it has to be drugs! As I have heard it described...really good sheet.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Actually no, the center of the BMW logo is the stylized white and blue diamond of Bavaria, the ring is the rest of the Rapp engine factory logo out of which BMW emerged, and the company is still in the hands of the Quandt family, who were related by marriage to Josef Göbbels.
And now you know the rest of the story.
Post #51

Top Bottom