I just don't get it... if it's this ugly, is it attractive?

Bike
2010 ST1300
You thought getting the tupperware of your ST was hard? These things have no visible fasteners. (Probably have to crack it like an egg). :rofl1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Remember, BMW started out as a manufacturer of aircraft engines, and their logo is intended to resemble a spinning propeller. In the '30s BMW pioneered the use of fairings particularly for sidecar racing. Full dustbin fairings are still used today and is one of their legacies. I can easily picture this having been found in some engineer's notebook dating from that era, and like dduelin said "they will sell every one because it’s a very small production run", but not to me. I prefer my ST.
The spinning propeller story has tremendous sticking power but it's not the correct one. The logo stems from the company's founding in Bavaria and the state colors of Bavaria. I don't expect to reach many people with the true story behind the BMW roundel but if you read this you will know the the real story.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
That beemer in the original post is indeed homely, IMO.

How could a company that designed and built this:

1983_R100RS-RH-front_dual.jpg

....also design and build this?

1611246866477.png

"New and different" does not always mean "better".

Sometimes, "new and different" is simply...."ugly and undesirable".

Last edited:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I think it looks like someone from the 1930's being asked to draw the bike of the future, or maybe they did dig up some old engineer's sketch book from before WWII. Looks too awkward for me but I ride a Victory Vision and it garners similar reactions when you consult people's tastes in motorcycles. Like the Vultus, it will appeal to a certain, small, market segment that will pay a lot for it. Then it will become an interesting item at bike shows for the next 200 years. For better or worse it is a matter of aesthetics, and beautifulness and ugliness are alike, considerations.

The motorcycle market demographic is changing before our eyes, faster than we have ever witnessed.

Personally I am more concerned with being able to ride an ICE without having people chastise me for burning fossil fuels in a few years. At least this one still has a gasoline engine...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This one looks to have been inspired by the Tesla Cybertruck. Or perhaps vice-versa.
Not crazy about the bike but it looks a whole lot better than that ugly Cybertruck. It's almost enough to make the Pontiac Aztek look good. Almost. At least a little less ugly but only by comparison.

Ugly orbit it is very BMW ... the classic lines, pin stripes, black glossy paint and even twin kidneys are 100 percent beemer.

any engineer should see that :)

Top Bottom