Iron Butt Rally 2021

The luck the winners have is the lack of bad luck along the way.
I disagree. These folks have a certain problem solving skill that many who fail to make the podium lack. I've read that CEO's of major corporations - the successful ones - see patterns and take actions that result in a positive outcome more often than not (they too make mistakes). In much the same way, Jim Owen is able to see a way forward repeatedly, that garners him far more points than others. But luck plays a big roll, too. More than for, say, a swimmer or sprinter.

Last edited:
In traditional sports, the rules are the same, year to year.
The Big One has a different bonus structure and varying routes, aka Themes every time out...
Forest fires. Hurricanes. Mudslides. Heat....
All these factors play a part, and no two rallies are ever the same...
That's why there are few back-to-back first place winners.
Again, I disagree, somewhat. People who do crossword puzzles or jigsaw puzzles hone their skill. Every one is different, but the puzzle solvers learn, for want of another way to say it, the tricks of the trade. I'd wager that someone who ends up on the IBR podium two or three times has problem solving skills exclusive of riding that you and I do not have. That said, as you pointed out, every IBR rally is different and luck (good or bad) plays a big role.

As for riding skills, IBR participants have to have developed some superb ways of coping with the vagaries of the road to log major miles without accidents.

I disagree. These folks have a certain problem solving skill that many who fail to make the podium lack. I've read that CEO's of major corporations - the successful ones - see patterns and take actions that result in a positive outcome more often than not (they too make mistakes). In much the same way, Jim Owen is able to see a way forward repeatedly, that garners him far more points than others. But luck plays a big roll, too. More than for, say, a swimmer or sprinter.

Hmmm . . . not so sure we disagree at all. :)

Shuey

Scrolling through the photos, happened across one of the cockpit of the Hayabusa. I rode one on a suzuki demo day several years ago and man it was a nice bike, but I cannot imagine spending 11 days on one!

Also, I noticed the only rider on the new HD Pan America did not finish... Anyone know why? Hope it wasn't a mechanical issue...

Sadlsor, I saw one about two weeks ago headed up 421 towards Boone, NC. He was going the opposite direction at a good clip so I didn't have much time to do more than recognize that's what it was. Neat looking bike. I'd like to test one out sometime.

That wasn't my fault, was it? :rolleyes::biggrin:
Shuey also dragged me across the country and back for a 100CCC, and we're still friends!

I think smartphones will replace the extra GPS as time goes on, at least for me.
Using Waze and Google maps with up-to date traffic info is a big help.
In the 2019 IBR, Shirley used her phone which was often more efficient than Garmin, though her voice on the intercom did not have that nice English accent that I use on Garmin.

Phones will not be the standard until there is universal phone coverage. Can't tell you how many places I went on this IBR without cell coverage. This is also the first IBR (of 4) I've done that at LEAST one GPS did not fail. I have two mounted on the bike and two back ups in the saddle bag. Redundancy is good on the IBR.

Bob

The Pan AM in the IBR was a DNF.
I just saw Shuey's Epilog post but haven'tread it, does anyone know whether this was a man or machine malfunction?
EDIT: the scribe does not say.
EDIT 2: I still do not know the name of the scribe, for the first time ever.

Last edited:
I just saw Shuey's Epilog post but haven'tread it, does anyone know whether this was a man or machine malfunction?
EDIT: the scribe does not say.
EDIT 2: I still do not know the name of the scribe, for the first time ever.

The bike physically finished the full event, however, the rider did not accumulate enough points to be considered a finisher. The same for the 2-stroke KTM.

For those who may not be still checking the "Dailies" report page for the IBR . . . an Epilogue has been posted that I enjoyed reading. Maybe you will too.
Shuey, @Buckeye Rich said, "The bike physically finished the full event, however, the rider did not accumulate enough points to be considered a finisher. The same for the 2-stroke KTM."

How do they come up with the minimum number of points to separate finishers and dnf'ers? Is this published or private for the participants?

How do they come up with the minimum number of points to separate finishers and dnf'ers? Is this published or private for the participants?
I've never entered, and my offering is I don't know.
That said, how do they assign point values to a bonus? Or how do they select bonuses, or a theme for the rally?
Strictly rhetorical, of course... the IBR staff selects all that, and assigns scouts to submit bonus locations for consideration. The whole idea of the point system is to ensure contestants don't just ride around the country from checkpoint to checkpoint.
I should probably just shut up; I've followed the IBR for decades, and I subscribe to the ldr list, but let's hear from those who have actually voluntarily entered this frustrating, puzzling, maddening, exhilarating moto-marathon.
Speaking of the ldr list, Jim who rode on the HD Pan Am, wrote a nice review of his experience. He only had 6 weeks to prep it for the rally, while he worked full time. My takeaways are:
1. It's a beast to pick up (he needed two LEOs to help lift it off him, at one point) and very top-heavy
2. Very few aftermarket accessories, only 1 tank bag "choice"
3. Apparently no service manual (or maybe inadequate?) available yet; no instructions for tightening the chain, refitting the front axle, and the wiring diagram is incomplete.
4. Stock hi- and low-beam lights are woefully underpowered / weak
5. Solid motor, with no issues in 10,000 miles - VERY impressive

HD Pan Am,
1. It's a beast to pick up (he needed two LEOs to help lift it off him, at one point) and very top-heavy
2. Very few aftermarket accessories, only 1 tank bag "choice"
3. Apparently no service manual (or maybe inadequate?) available yet; no instructions for tightening the chain, refitting the front axle, and the wiring diagram is incomplete.
4. Stock hi- and low-beam lights are woefully underpowered / weak
5. Solid motor, with no issues in 10,000 miles - VERY impressive
1. ST's are a beast to pick up.
2. Perhaps model specific accessories are rare, but I'd bet there are a LOT of generic accessories that will fit various parts of the bike.
3. Is chain tightening, yanking the wheels on this bike so esoteric that a decent mechanic cannot do these chores? How about asking a HD dealership? :rofl1:
4. Looks like that in the press pictures, so I'm not surprised. An adventure bike with insufficient lighting? This is a production machine. Oh.... yeah, the back country has street lamps...so they don't need lights.
5. You are commending a motor that when brand new, went 10K miles with no problems? I thought you rode an ST. Where I come from, new cars are expected to go around 30K miles when new. Highway miles are the easiest miles an ICE will see.

Back
Top Bottom