Iron Butt Rally 2021

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm no HD fan boy, simply relating some of Jim's impressions.
But yeah, regarding the engine... 10k and no issues? Is that like, a new record or something?
Oh, wait.
It IS a Hardly-Abelson we're talking about here.
(I kid!! ...maybe.)

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sadlsor got it right.

The Rally Master (Jeff Earls in this case) with support from the IBR staff I'm sure, comes up with a theme then bonus locations are identified and verified by a a very small group sworn to secrecy. Maybe some bonus locations are found first and that leads to the naming of a theme. Chicken or egg kind of thing.

Points are assigned with bonus locations further off straight line distances between checkpoints, or more time consuming to get to, getting higher values. The values and combinations for additional points are added to create a puzzle of solutions to test rider comprehension and solution development skills. Riders are told up front at the rally start that riding checkpoint-to-checkpoint will not qualify them as a finisher and how many points minimum are required to be an IBR Finisher. I think it was noted by the Scribe that typically 20% of the entrants don't finish for various reasons . . . some usually for not having enough points.

The IBR is intended to be a challenging test of rider and machine and not for everyone. If it was easy . . . who'd care.

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey, @Buckeye Rich said, "The bike physically finished the full event, however, the rider did not accumulate enough points to be considered a finisher. The same for the 2-stroke KTM."
How do they come up with the minimum number of points to separate finishers and dnf'ers? Is this published or private for the participants?
It's a good question. The "points target” to stay on track to Finisher status is given out at the start of each Leg, for that leg, just for the riders, e.g. at the Start, riders are only advised the suggested number of points needed for that Leg. This keeps the number of points needed for each future legs still a mystery. Everyone expects point values to increase each leg, but . . . how much is anyone's guess. This information is provided primarily for the benefit of first time IBR riders as a guide to not getting so far behind in Legs 1 & 2 that it's impossible to catch up in Leg 3.

That said, the points target is only that, a suggested Target. You might fall short on Leg 1 then exceed the suggestion in Leg 2 or 3. The final total points required to achieve Finisher Status is given out at the beginning of Leg 3.

I can't recall these numbers being specifically released to the public, just mentioned in some after event rider reports. Of course, like this year, looking at the final results, it's pretty easy to determine the number . . . 80,000 this year.

I can't see much point in knowing the 80K final number before Leg 3 since the number of points available each leg is unknown until the bonus lists are passed out. Having a target to be on track for each leg IS helpful. Knowing the 80K number at the start when Leg 1 points are low would be more detrimental than helpful. A successful IBR ride is about managing the whole 11 days and riding flat out in Leg 1 and then Leg 2 would encourage riders to not have enough steam left to finish Leg 3 when points are at their highest. Sometimes to much information is not a good thing.

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I can't see much point in knowing the 80K final number before Leg 3 since the number of points available each leg is unknown until the bonus lists are passed out.
I have often wondered if that number is determined much before the start of leg 3. I suspect the RM may look at how the field is postured after the first 2 legs and makes a best guess finishing threshold to get 75-80% of the field to finish. Just a guess on my part.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have often wondered if that number is determined much before the start of leg 3. I suspect the RM may look at how the field is postured after the first 2 legs and makes a best guess finishing threshold to get 75-80% of the field to finish. Just a guess on my part.
Hmmmm . . . interesting thought Ken. I hope the number is determined before the Start, however, now that you've put the thought in my head, it certainly could be created or adjusted based on how the field was doing even up to the end of Leg 2. That could explain an historically consistent 15-20% DNF rate.

Shuey

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I just don't see Ms. Landry or Lord Kneebone "grading on a curve", so to speak.
But for sure, that kind of IBR behind-the-scenes information is known to but a few.
I'm opening, nothing more.
#justanotherIBRfollower

Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Well . . . the animation is finally out for the first 2 legs. Fun to watch.
A pause in the animation has been attributed to rest bonuses playing out.
Many thanks to Jason Jonas of SpotWalla for putting these together for us to enjoy.

Shuey

Leg 1:

https://new.spotwalla.com/animation/b6d8-64f3c-7113/view?speed=80

Leg 2:

https://new.spotwalla.com/animation/1696-96852-e5a9/view?speed=80
Shuey,

That was pretty neat animation. Very interesting to see them roaming around the countryside.

JohnConner
:bluegw: :usflag1:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Justin Long interviews Mike Brooke on Long Riders Radio.

Unbelievable. Mike Brooke is carved for an event like that. Thanks for the post. Not far from two hours of viewing with not one dull moment and it's just two guys talking. The "out of gas at night in a no 24 hr station town" is epic....like most everything else.

Are there interviews of James and Wendy on their winning runs as well?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks. Really a breed apart!
This is why the Iron Butt Association calls itself "The World's Toughest Riders."
Taking away nothing from other elites of course, such as MotoGP, Dakar, Erzburg, etc.
Aside from Dakar, few events are as grueling over an such extended time period.
Respect.

Top Bottom