Inexpensive led yellow running lights

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I just received the zmoons. Pretty cool little lites! Where on my 11 should i install them and what color (white or amber) should i have them on with my low beams? Im more concerned with someone seeing me at a intersection or in their rear view mirror than inclement weather.
Many thanks!
Just my $.02 Installing as white will give you more light to see at night, mine were bright enough I had to turn them off in traffic. You could see people holding their hand up to block the light from the side view mirror. You end up with just a bigger white blob coming down the road. The yellow give you the fog advantage as well as adding a conspictus factor. For instance, big white dot headlight, two yellow dots on forks has been noticed sooner then on big white dot. I had the cars pulling out into the passing lane consistently one day, could not understand why this day was so different, then noticed my yellows were off, put on and much less pull outs. You see their turn signals light up and then go out when they "see" you, then pull out when your gone. This is what I was going for. YMMV

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Just my $.02 Installing as white will give you more light to see at night, mine were bright enough I had to turn them off in traffic. You could see people holding their hand up to block the light from the side view mirror. You end up with just a bigger white blob coming down the road. The yellow give you the fog advantage as well as adding a conspictus factor. For instance, big white dot headlight, two yellow dots on forks has been noticed sooner then on big white dot. I had the cars pulling out into the passing lane consistently one day, could not understand why this day was so different, then noticed my yellows were off, put on and much less pull outs. You see their turn signals light up and then go out when they "see" you, then pull out when your gone. This is what I was going for. YMMV
It is the twentieth century, and we are all suffering from inflation. So, your $2.00 worth! Thanks! Im all about safety this tour and living in boston, i get cut off every day. So, its time to pay attention to this. Thanks!

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I found the brackets supplied with the zmoons sufficient. I have mine fork mounted.
Mine are switched with hi/low relays. Yellow with low beam, white with hi beam.
I installed a harness with relays, so they run off a fused circuit direct to battery.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I found the brackets supplied with the zmoons sufficient. I have mine fork mounted.
Mine are switched with hi/low relays. Yellow with low beam, white with hi beam.
I installed a harness with relays, so they run off a fused circuit direct to battery.
Many thank yous!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would use the amber, I think it's more noticeable when you are in a sea of traffic and white lights. But, it's a personal choice and more light is better.. Heck, I'd have baloons and fireworks if possible...

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Just an FYI. I installed a pair of z-moons early June. By the end of the month, one of them seems to have warmed (i.e. left is ~5-6K and right is ~3.5-4K).

2 points:
  1. I have a Skene light-dimming unit connected to the whites so that they are not blinding at night when on low-beams (they go full bright when I switch to highs). I don't know if this is a factor or not.
  2. Can't really complain when these lights are so cost-effective. They're pretty bright for the price (I've had others that were brighter but more expensive) and are dual-color. I'm just gonna buy another pair and replace the warmer one. I'll still have one left over as a spare but I hope I won't have to replace it again anytime soon.
Still like 'em.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the bright yellow works best for conspicuity. It may not be seen as far downrange as white light but it's range may be great enough that you're still seen in plenty of time. Of course if The Other Guy isn't looking...

I've seen several bikes with yellow (not amber) aux lights and they stand out as being separate from the headlights and I see them as real attention getters (no pun intended). White lights tend to blend it with the headlights unless mounted away from the headlights. I saw a BMW with white aux conspicuity lights mount very low on the bike and not on the forks. Not super bright they still got my attention.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
While I was out Sunday I saw an adventure bike with a modulating amber bar under the headlight. It certainly stood out!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
While I was out Sunday I saw an adventure bike with a modulating amber bar under the headlight. It certainly stood out!
Around here that bar would be flashing "Please sir may I have an award?!"

Reactions: Obo

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Oh.. now it's a contest.. lol... I doubt I'll win but worth a shot.

IMG_20220219_114542.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Show off! U spent more on your lites than i spent on my whole bike!
That's not true... lol.. They aren't cheap but others here have probably spent twice as much..

and....... you're not done yet.. LOL

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! The yellow really stands out. More importantly — I think it looks pretty sharp! I've seen two bikes on the road in the daytime with yellow lights and they showed up quite a ways away – far outside of a weapon's envelope. :rofl1:

Top Bottom